Author Topic: Bonjour! Hello from France by an engraver  (Read 6726 times)

Offline Jean Santos

• View Profile
Bonjour! Hello from France by an engraver
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
Hi everybody,

My name is Jean, I live in the south of France .

My english courses are so far, and I don't use automatic translators: All the faults you will read, are MY faults, and I beg your pardon :'(. Don't hesitate to correct me, please!

I'm an eternal student,  writing  with a nib in my schooldays , and now at sixty, still trying to improve my hand writing. ;)

Engraving is one of my hobbies, and a pair of years ago, in the Alfano's forum I saw a thread by J.Vitolo on how to write copperplatte with an oblique penholder.
It's helpfull for an engraver to know how the letter is formed , while cutting it with a burin!
So, I made a few oblique penholders, got some nibs and iron gall ink and got it a try.

You all know how  hand writing can be addictive, don't you?  I was hooked ...
My goal was to engrave my own letters instead those of the computer, like this exemple(a guift to Joe Vitolo)

But now I'm simply writing on paper, for fun  ;)

I'm very pleased to find this forum, the style of work you're sharing is just what I was looking for.

Thank you for reading

Best regards

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
Re: Bonjour! Hello from France by an engraver
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
Jean, you MADE your own holders? Wow! They're gorgeous!

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about your English. If I had to write in a secondary language, well, it wouldn't be very pretty. I traveled all over France proud of the quelle heure est-il I remembered from high school French in the 60s/70s! Oh, and my kids' favorite phrase from their high school French studies, je suis un ananas which cracks us up still today! I so envy those that took the time to really learn a second language!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work! It is stunning and you're in good company here! There are so many that letter beautifully, but then lots of others (like me) who are considered "newbies."

Bonsoir,
Ellen

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »
Welcome Jean!
Your writing and your pen holders are Beautiful!!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Jean Santos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »
Bonsoir Ellen,
Thank you Ellen for your kind words... you are too indulgent with both my horrible english and my works . :D
When I made these holders I was engraving some maori ornaments on fishing rods and  watches, and I put them in the flanges that are made out of titanium.
I was expecting it will help for writing, but the beauty of the pen has a very little influence on the resultant letters

We all have an expression that remains after learning a foreign language, and often a very useful one , like your son's  :D 

I have no problems when reading english but it's a pity when I speak it with "mon accent de marseille". But I can understand it when speaked slowly ...and by englishmen  ;)

regards

Jean

edit : Thank you Roseann for our welcome!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:43:32 PM by Jean Santos »

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Very beautiful work... AND holders!!
I agree with Ellen; far be it from us Americans that mostly know just one language to criticize.   I technically know Spanish but would have just as hard a time writing it.  It definitely is my second language.
Welcome and jump right in!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
Wow, gorgeous!!! I love the jeweled flange *_*
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Welcome Jean!

I am so tickled you shared your beautiful work and pens with us! These are truly a delight to behold. Those pens! Swoon! Je les adore! (It's been many years since college French!) Your engraving is just lovely.

I love the thickness of the wood holders and the simple design of the wood next to the beautiful flourished flange. So unique!

I am fascinated with engraving. I have never seen it with color added. Very beautiful!

Again welcome to Flourish and thank you for sharing with us!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:01:50 AM »
Bienvenue, Sean!
Your engravings, letters and holders are all really beautiful, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! :)
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Jean Santos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:34:06 AM »
Thank You Daisy, Schin,Erica and Natacha for your warm welcome !
I think I will soon feel like at home here.

I'm happy you like my penholders, it was fun to make them, and titanium gives a little original touch ...

Daisy , yo también hablo español, el castellano es mi lengua materna. Acabamos de volver de Andalucía con mi esposa y fue un viaje maravilloso donde pude hablarlo mucho, pero ahora lo hablo con acento francés, que pena ::)

Erica, If you and other members are interested by engraving , I would open a thread , and explain how I do lettering with a burin. I can take a pair of photos of the process.
I visited your website: J'adore votre contemporary,  magnifique! Mais comment pourrait-il en être autrement quand on écrit avec de si beaux yeux ?
One day I will certainly ask you the permission to engrave some of your writing . ;)

Greetings

Jean
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:26:58 PM by Jean Santos »

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
I saw the name Santos but didn't want to make any assumptions!  Bienvendos!  And accents?  Geezzz... I have a strong English accent.  Friends often ask me to just say it in English.   :-[   ;D
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Vielka

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram.com/only1_vw
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
Hi Jean!

Your holders make me want to try oblique, as they are so lovely! And the engraving of the little bird is both dainty and colorful...I never realized engraving could be so colorful! Thank you for sharing some of your art with us! I look forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
vielka

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »
Merci bien!  [blush] ;D

That would be wonderful if you would start a topic. I'm sure I am not the only one who would love seeing it!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51:33 AM »
¡Hola y bonjour, Jean!

Your work is beautiful, I am also in awe about these, like Schin said, jewel-like flanges!

Bienvenido,

Stefanie aka Estefa (I am not Spanish, I just spent some time in Madrid and liked it much more than my "normal" name how my flatmates there called me ;)!)
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »
Oh !! Un autre français  :D Bonjour jean, bienvenue dans le super extra magnifique forum que voilà !! Great to eknow you and pleased to notice that you are living in the south of france too !! I'm Nora french calligrapher from Nice, and we are a few happily frenchies here as well.
Very beautiful spencerian and great penholders !!Have fun with us Jean !!
Bien amicalement !! Nora

Offline Jean Santos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »
Hi Vielka,
Thank You for your welcome, and glad you like my engravings  :)  I will soon explain how I engrave and add a bit of colour . I will start a new topic on this matter soon !

Hola Estefa,
Gracias por la bienvenida !  Supongo que guardas un recuerdo excelente de tus años en Madrid, no? España es un lugar donde la gente sabe recibir… y sabe divertirse. ;)   

Hi Nora ,
Thank you for your welcome, I feel less alone .  ;)
J'ai visité ton site :  très joli !   ll porte bien son nom, jolie plume, à l'image de sa propriétaire. Bravo pour tes travaux surtout, j'admire la qualité de ton écriture  !

Greetings

Jean