Author Topic: My nib got stained :(  (Read 2606 times)

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
My nib got stained :(
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

I tried to use this J. Herbin Encre de Calligraphie blue ink, which has been sitting on my shelf since I last bought it. The first time I sampled it shortly after it came in the mail, it worked fine, but I preferred practising with the Kuretake Sumi ink, so I gradually forgot about this one. I broke it out again to have some change in routine and I thought it worked really well - until I tried cleaning up!

These stains on my Nikko G nib won't come off even with window cleaner. :( I've since used my Nikko G nib again with Sumi ink and luckily, it still works all right. Just bummed that it's stained, and even the lovely white rubber grip of my pen holder...
- Mandy

Blog: Unravellations | Instagram: @dimins | Twitter: @unravellations

Offline andy277

• View Profile
Re: My nib got stained :(
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »
It's a pity about your nibholder, but the nib itself is a consumable, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You should see my nibs after a day or two of iron gall use! But possibly something with a stronger concentration of ammonia will clean it.

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
It's a pity about your nibholder, but the nib itself is a consumable, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You should see my nibs after a day or two of iron gall use! But possibly something with a stronger concentration of ammonia will clean it.

Is this actually a normal thing? I thought that dried ink on nibs would affect its performance. How often would you say a nib should be replaced then?
- Mandy

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
The good thing is that you can replace the white rubber grip on your penholder. And you'll eventually change out your nib, anyway.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
The G nibs are pretty tough thanks to that coating on them, it'll be fine :) Try some pen cleaner if you haven't already, it removes most inks from my experience.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
Agreeing with Heebs- they are durable!  A stained nib will be fine, but, of course, an encrusted one won't.  I have had blue inks stain my nibs before... but, I intentionally get dark holders because I can be a bit of a mess, and don't want them all marked up!  ::) 

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:14:32 AM »
The good thing is that you can replace the white rubber grip on your penholder. And you'll eventually change out your nib, anyway.

Really? I’d have to research more into finding where I can buy new rubber grips. The rubber grip seems pretty firmly in place for this holder (I’m using Tachikawa).

The G nibs are pretty tough thanks to that coating on them, it'll be fine :) Try some pen cleaner if you haven't already, it removes most inks from my experience.

I don’t have proper pen cleaner solution, but I’ve tried using window cleaner to no avail. :(

Agreeing with Heebs- they are durable!  A stained nib will be fine, but, of course, an encrusted one won't.  I have had blue inks stain my nibs before... but, I intentionally get dark holders because I can be a bit of a mess, and don't want them all marked up!  ::)

I can’t even tell the difference between it being simply stained or having a thin layer of crusted ink on it. Your strategy of getting dark holders is a pretty good one, I think I definitely have to look into that. XD I usually end up with ink blobs all over, even on my laptop or table, after a practice session.
- Mandy

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »
Yay, ink stains! They are the mark of a practicing calligrapher. Why are you trying to avoid them? It's like a weight-lifter saying, "I found this great new exercise and now I'm so much stronger, but my muscles got big :( " Display them with pride!
Clara

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:02 AM »
I use rubbing alcohol from Watsons! I left ink on my pen when I had to attend to something very urgent and it wouldn't come off with everything I tried. Days later, I found rubbing alcohol and tried them, and they work wonders.

But don't sweat it! Some ink on the nib does no harm  ;)
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Yay, ink stains! They are the mark of a practicing calligrapher. Why are you trying to avoid them? It's like a weight-lifter saying, "I found this great new exercise and now I'm so much stronger, but my muscles got big :( " Display them with pride!

Haha, I like the way you think, Clara! I was worried because I thought it might affect the performance of the nib, but if not, then I'd be happy to display them with pride! It's funny, but I also don't mind when my fingers get all inky and stained after a practice session. It makes me feel - artistic? XD

I use rubbing alcohol from Watsons! I left ink on my pen when I had to attend to something very urgent and it wouldn't come off with everything I tried. Days later, I found rubbing alcohol and tried them, and they work wonders.

But don't sweat it! Some ink on the nib does no harm  ;)

Awesome! I've only just bought a bottle of rubbing alcohol from Watson's because I was thinking of using it to prime new nibs, but looks like it'll come in handy sooner than expected!
- Mandy