Author Topic: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder  (Read 37159 times)

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
Re: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »
Hi again,

Just watched your video on instagram ( nice work ) it's a little difficult to see but I can make out your grip and you really have a serious death grip going on there!
I had a bad grip a few years ago and it took me a while to get over it. I had to take the step back to go forward if you know what I mean. It was difficult as I work as a calligrapher here in the uk and I do a lot of work for stationers in London amongst other places, so I had to keep going back to my original ( bad ) grip to get work done and then try and use the new tripod grip again only for more work to come in and you can see how difficult it was. I stuck with it and I am soooooo glad I did, my new grip is working out brilliantly couldn't be more happy.......SOOOOOO I would highly recommend you try and lose the death grip as you really are putting a lot of pressure on those fingers and that in turn is causing your forearm to tense up which is not good for writing. I don't think a Cure-E pen is going to help you with your current grip as your fingers seem to be gripping the pen at the same section of the neck of the pen which is not where any of the flat sections of the Curv-E pen are. I hope I'm making sense here let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Edward

Offline Vlatorn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »
Hi again,

Just watched your video on instagram ( nice work ) it's a little difficult to see but I can make out your grip and you really have a serious death grip going on there!
I had a bad grip a few years ago and it took me a while to get over it. I had to take the step back to go forward if you know what I mean. It was difficult as I work as a calligrapher here in the uk and I do a lot of work for stationers in London amongst other places, so I had to keep going back to my original ( bad ) grip to get work done and then try and use the new tripod grip again only for more work to come in and you can see how difficult it was. I stuck with it and I am soooooo glad I did, my new grip is working out brilliantly couldn't be more happy.......SOOOOOO I would highly recommend you try and lose the death grip as you really are putting a lot of pressure on those fingers and that in turn is causing your forearm to tense up which is not good for writing. I don't think a Cure-E pen is going to help you with your current grip as your fingers seem to be gripping the pen at the same section of the neck of the pen which is not where any of the flat sections of the Curv-E pen are. I hope I'm making sense here let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Edward

I definitely see your point, re. the pressure of the grip. I looks pretty deathy ( ;) ) in that clip. I do believe I hold it a bit more loose usually, but this oblique is very light and sort of slippery. Do you have some resources for learning grip, as I'm very open to learning and correcting  - it'll only add to the fun :)
Thanks!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
There is a thread somewhere about the dangers of death grips.
It includes problems with thumb-wrist-elbow-shoulder-neck-back.
I developed a classic tennis-elbow injury from my death grip and forging through overtime jobs.
Once you have an injury to a joint, that joint never forgets.
It is now a weak spot and at the slightest amount of over-doing, it will flare up.
So, it is more than a helpful tip - to change your grip - it is a serous warning.

I think the thread includes all kinds of ergonomic information.
Your posture - while sitting.
Stopping every 20 minutes to look out the window and relax your eyes.
I think it is a pretty long list -
Many of us old-timers wish we had taken better care of ourselves when we were younger.

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Hi,

Couldn't agree more with Jean, once the joints go they are never the same so giving them less to do is only a good thing.

I've added this pic of my grip which I took some time ago. As you can see from my fingers there is no force coming from anywhere, also the tail of the pen sits in a little grove between the knuckle of the index finger, this gives a lot more control of the pen due to less surface contact with the thumb. The two fingers underneath give the support to the whole hand and it makes it very easy to slide on the fingernails. Finally the biggest difference that I noticed from adopting this grip is the freedom it gives to the index finger and the middle finger ( the gap between the middle finger and the ring finger and the little finger ) this is fantastic for lower case writing. BUT it does take a while to get used to it......BUT very worth while!

Hope this helps!

Edward

Ps. I find keeping the wrist of the table great for capitals ( muscular movement ) the two fingers give plenty of support once you get used to it!

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Just a sample of my writing to go with the grip pic!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »
Here is thread on Posture and Ergonomics;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Vlatorn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks again for all your wonderful advice, I have practiced an altered grip since and I feel I have improved a lot. It takes a lot of mindfulness and constant self correction, and some of my consistency is definitely suffering, but I will keep at it :)
I’ve just uploaded a video to my IG, if you’d like to see my progress https://instagram.com/p/Bg7Wqv5Fjc1/

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
After reading all the posts here about the pen Erica and Edward developed, I ordered one. I absolutely love it. My hand fingers rest so nicely on the flattened areas, and I find less hand stress after a 15 minute session. I love this pen holder, and thank Edward for his patience as I bombarded him with emails awaiting the pen holder's arrival from across the big pond. It was worth the wait for customs here to inspect it. It added a week to the delivery, but oh, putting my favorite vintage Gillotts 604EF into the flange and using it for the first time was pure Nirvana! Thank you Edward, for a most beautiful and practical pen holder.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
That is wonderful news @NevadaDeb ! And another beautiful holder @Edward;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
Hi Debi,

So glad you like the pen, always nice to hear someone benefitting from the new design. Happy scribbling!

Regards,

Edward

Offline ratna_89

• Freshman Member
  • Halo! from Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:59 AM »
hello guys, just wanted to share my experienced. I finally tried this oblique and since it arrives I honestly never use any other holder that I have. whenever I try to go back to the normal round one I immediately feel so much discomfort. it is an absolute must holder in my opinion, I can't wait to have another one in a different style because I love it too much! thank you so much, Erica and Edward, to make this holder happen.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »
I am so happy to hear that @ratna_89:-* I am the same way. I now only use the Curv-E holders! The round holders feel awkward now.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
hello guys, just wanted to share my experienced. I finally tried this oblique and since it arrives I honestly never use any other holder that I have. whenever I try to go back to the normal round one I immediately feel so much discomfort. it is an absolute must holder in my opinion, I can't wait to have another one in a different style because I love it too much! thank you so much, Erica and Edward, to make this holder happen.

So glad you like the design @ratna_89 , I don't use or make the round holders ( unless asked ) anymore as I find them so uncomfortable now. All the feedback from people who have tried the new design has been fantastic. Let me know by email if you see any pen you like on my page and I'll drop the price for you, or let me know if there is a design you like and I can make it for you!

I think we should have a pen give-away soon ah Erica?

Edward

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 05:29:45 AM »
Here is a holder for the giveaway. 

Erica, please decide how to choose a winner.  I'll abide by your decision.

Crafted from iconic English Yew - as used to make longbows!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:37:36 PM by Empty_of_Clouds »

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Stunning pen! What kind of wood did you use, Edward?