Author Topic: Calligraphy in The Wild West  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Allison M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Calligraphy in The Wild West
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
Hello! I’m Allison and I am currently living in Texas. I split my time between San Antonio and Midland/Odessa, and we will be moving to West Texas full time in a few months. Our goal is to move back to Utah (we love mountains!), and my calligraphy helps us save for that.

I like more formal styles of calligraphy, and I’m trying to teach myself Spencerian. It is such a challenge, but I love it! I’m also trying to get better at more modern and “loose”
styles. I curate vintage postage sets as well.

I look forward to being a member of the forum. It looks like a lot of fun.  If anyone is in West Texas, let’s start a calligraphy guild!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Calligraphy in The Wild West
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »
Wecome, Allison!  I checked out your Instagram - beauuuuutiful envelopes!!!!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »
@Bianca M Girlfriend, you are way better at the Internet than me!  How did you figure out her Instagram??

@Allison M Welcome to The Forum!!  I’m in Texas, too!  I’m in the Panhandle. I have Copperplate & I’m learning Spencerian!  Sing out if I can help you in anyway!

Janis

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
@Bianca M Girlfriend, you are way better at the Internet than me!  How did you figure out her Instagram??

@JanisTX LOL!  I've come to learn that many people put the @ symbol in when filling out their instagram in their forum profiles, but it leads to a bad link when you click on the Instagram icon to the left.  So, Allison's link currently reads as "www.instagram.com/@wildwoodcalligraphyandpost" - you can see that there's an "@" in there that shouldn't be, so when I saw the bad link, I knew the culprit off the bat.

Now, I realize I could be helpful and point it out to @Allison M , which I'll do now, and possibly should have done earlier and in other cases, but I am shy to point out errors in "public."  "Welcome to the forum, Allison!  You need to fix your link!" I am silly, I know.

Offline Allison M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:00:06 AM »
@Bianca M I had no idea! Thank you so much! I just fixed it, so I’m hoping it works now. I definitely had the extra @ in there.  ;D And thank you for tracking me down anyway and for your kind words! I’ll search for you on Ig next!

@Janis G hello fellow Texan! Do you have a favorite resource for learning Spencerian? I’m going to go find you on ig too. (:

Thank y’all for the warm welcome!  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
@Allison M :  On IG, I am JanisAlexanderCross!  :-)  My favorite Spencerian resource is Harvest Crittendon & Michael Sull.  I have all of Michael's books, but he has several YouTube videos & I highly recommend them!  You can get his books at John Neal Bookseller, Paper, Ink Arts, & on eBay.  I recommend his books. - They are brilliant!

Janis

Offline Allison M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Thank you @JanisTX - I look forward to using those resources! Headed to check them out now!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Hi Allison!
I know there are quite a few calligraphers in TX.  ;D There are seven guilds there - maybe there is one that is driveable: Calligraphy Guilds by State.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
Running late, Allison, but welcome to the Flourish Forum! Hope you're enjoying calligraphy in Texas and saving for your dream!