Author Topic: Hello from North Carolina!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Aituaje

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from North Carolina!
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Greetings all! My name is Aituaje.

For my birthday I'm getting a bundle of brand new calligraphy supplies! I'm getting a wooden oblique pen with nikko g nibs, sumi ink, and paper!! I mean, not that anyone cares what I'm getting for my birthday, lol but there you go!

I am planning on beginning my calligraphy adventure by learning Spencerian. From there, I'm planning on moving to Italic (actually, does anyone know if I can use an oblique pen for italic?) and then copperplate. And then I might move on to some other style, but we'll see.

I have a question: how many styles of calligraphy does an average calligrapher know?

So that's all! And to anyone wondering, the pronunciation of my name is "eye-twah-jay"

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
Re: Hello from North Carolina!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
Wow Aituaje! I'm so excited for you to start your journey. Sounds like you have it all planned out! I love using sumi ink, especially once I learned I could water it way down.

I just started learning italic (I did it after copperplate and spencerian, but the order doesn't matter). It is written with a straight holder and a broad edge nib. Straight holders are cheaper than obliques. I'm using a plastic one that cost about $2.

As far as how many styles, i've never seen people write a list of all their styles. But it seems usually people have 1 or 2 that they are super comfortable with and a few others they can make work when needed. Of course Master Penman are a whole other story!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Tar Heel! Sounds like you have a plan. It's better to start with one style and stick with it for a while before switching, otherwise you can get confused and lose ground on the one you were already experienced with. Of course, I don't have any styles as an expertise, I'm just telling you what those who know have said time and again.  ;D

If you're anywhere near Greensboro some day you should play hooky from school or work and run over to John Neal Bookstore. It's predominately a mail-order business, but their small physical space is so crammed with treasures you feel like you need to say "Open Sesame" when you walk through the doors. The folks there are great and will give you as much or as little attention as you need while you walk around drooling.

So, glad y'all made it. Sit a spell and you just might learn something.  :)
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline JohnK

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »
Hi Aituaje, it is good to have a fellow North Carolinian join the Fourish Forum!

Looks like you are off to a great start!  There are plenty of great resources that you will find on this site to help you, at all stages of your journey.

Offline vonking1980

• View Profile
    • MyAmari
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:01:34 AM »
Hi and welcome Aituaje. I'm am excited for you to get started in calligraphy! It can be challenging, but it's also fun to see yourself improve as you practice.  This is a very friendly and helpful community, so don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck and see you around!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »

I am planning on beginning my calligraphy adventure by learning Spencerian. From there, I'm planning on moving to Italic (actually, does anyone know if I can use an oblique pen for italic?) and then copperplate. And then I might move on to some other style, but we'll see.

I have a question: how many styles of calligraphy does an average calligrapher know?

Sheila Waters recommends the pen holders that are straight for broad edge - rather than the hour-glass shaped holders. In my years of teaching, I have observed that the straight holders have a distinct advantage. You can get a wooden one for $3 rather than than the $2 plastic pen holder and I think it is worth the extra dollar. The hour-glass shaped holders do not allow as much variation in how you hold the pen. With broad edge styles, there is a lot of *pen manipulation* where you make minor adjustments in how you hold the pen and the straight holder is more compatible with pen manipulation. The hour-glass pre-determines how far your hand is from the nib. Being able to slide the nib a tiny bit farther away from the hand can make it much easier for the beginner to have success.

Having said that, I am sure there are scribes who do broad edge work with an hour-glass holder and have never considered using a straight holder and have had fantastic results. So, if you want to stick with your hour-glass holder - that's fine. I just mention the straight holder because I have seen good results with my students and because it is recommended by Sheila Waters - as well as other fine teachers.

It would be fun to know how many styles an average calligrapher knows - but it would be hard to decide what makes a calligrapher *average.* In my most recent class, out of 12 people, half of them were clearly people who enjoyed trying everything. Of those 6 about half looked like they were smitten with the whole process and would actually take the time to become proficient at specific styles.

IMHO, there is a a tipping point after you learn about 4 broad edge styles and the 2 main branches of pointed pen. With broad edge, if you take the time to learn foundational, italic, uncial and blackletter, you have a good foundation and it will not take as much time to pick up additional styles like Neuland, carolingian, gothisized italic, etc. With pointed pen, copperplate and Spencerian are the two styles that give you a good base for learning all the others.

There is another category that doesn't get much attention and that is the Roman alphabet - or basic capital letters. While it doesn't look calligraphic on the surface -  it just looks like a refined version of the printed or manuscript capital letters we all learned when were first learning to write the alphabet - it is actually a wonderful style to learn and extremely useful. It is sad to see a beautiful piece of calligraphy (a quote or poem) where the artist lettered the author's name in small block letters at the bottom - and that lettering is their quirky printing. It's a very small detail - but sometimes that lettering is so wonky it becomes an eyesore.

Which brings us to foundational. Hardly anyone considers learning foundational before italic - mostly because they do not know what it is and it looks really boring. I have had the honor of hosting Sheila Waters in my home for workshops and had the opportunity to ask a lot of questions about teaching. Sheila, as well as other excellent teachers, agree that while italic is the style that attracts people, it would be better for beginners to learn foundational first. In addition to the angle of the nib, with italic, you have the angle - or slant - of the strokes. With foundational, you can focus on just the angle of the nib and the strokes are vertical. You can learn an italic that has no slant - but it is hard to find good exemplars.

Again - lots of people, including me, started with italic and there is no harm in doing so. But, focusing on the pen angle - and leaving out slant for the time being - is helpful. I actually like Neuland for a first broad edge style because every single student will intuitively start using pen manipulation when they are doing Neuland. I do not have to show them - I watch them do it intuitively, and then point out that their brain already understands an important part of the process. Even a simple blackletter can be a very good style for understanding pen angle and learning the process of consistency and rhythm.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
Jean's response is a wonderful example of the amazingly valuable advice shared so freely here. Listen to the voices of experience!

Thanks, Jean. It's always worth reading your posts.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Aituaje

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Tar Heel! Sounds like you have a plan. It's better to start with one style and stick with it for a while before switching, otherwise you can get confused and lose ground on the one you were already experienced with. Of course, I don't have any styles as an expertise, I'm just telling you what those who know have said time and again.  ;D

If you're anywhere near Greensboro some day you should play hooky from school or work and run over to John Neal Bookstore. It's predominately a mail-order business, but their small physical space is so crammed with treasures you feel like you need to say "Open Sesame" when you walk through the doors. The folks there are great and will give you as much or as little attention as you need while you walk around drooling.

So, glad y'all made it. Sit a spell and you just might learn something.  :)

Greesnboro? I live less than an hour and a half from there! I think I'll just have to swing by there one day, haha.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
Oh, we calligraphers definitely care when someone gets calligraphy supplies for their birthday.  ;D  Happy birthday, and welcome!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Jean's response is a wonderful example of the amazingly valuable advice shared so freely here. Listen to the voices of experience!

Thanks, Jean. It's always worth reading your posts.

You're welcome. It is nice to be in a position to share with youngsters. Everything I know I learned from generous scribes who were ahead of me on the learning curve. Conferences and workshops have always been like family reunions. The good kind of family  - where everyone actually gets along.

I just learned of the passing of an important person in the world of lettering - Jeanyee Wong (96 years old - 70 year career)
The sound is not good - but this video is lovely.
https://vimeo.com/24013347

There are plenty of images online as well - and a few articles.