Author Topic: My most tedious job - ever!  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
My most tedious job - ever!
« on: February 07, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
When I was first starting out in business for myself, I was given the following advice. If for whatever reason, I were ever offered to quote for a job which I didn't want to do, I should work out the price, double it and submit this figure as my firm quotation. If I didn't get the job, that would be fine, because I wouldn't want to do it anyway. However, if the client was prepared to pay a high price, then at least I’d know that my efforts would be worthwhile, in the end.

This was one such job. The client was a major department store in London and my instructions were simple - produce by hand, labels for whisky decanters in an old style which was obviously handwritten (in other words, not too neat). The writing was to be in black with the heading in gold paint or ink. Obviously, it would have been much cheaper to have had them printed, but they wanted to say, on the back label, "to reflect the quality of this very rare, single grain whisky, every front label has been handwritten". This was a long time ago and I can’t remember the exact quantity but it ran into four figures.

Over a six month period, I produced the decanter labels as shown below. Even although I wrote them over such a long period, they were still mind-numbingly boring to write. Fortunately, I was very well paid for the job and I suppose that it was very good practice - at producing rough handwriting!

As I said, the whole job could have been printed, and it would have looked pretty much the same, at a fraction of the cost. However, the customer is always right and there is always some nut somewhere, prepared to take on work like this!  :-\ :(

What was your most tedious job, and how did you cope with the boredom?

I did post a copy of this label a couple of years ago, but it seems to have disappeared - I probably pressed the wrong button!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:41:07 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: My most tedious job - ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
That is brilliant advice Ken!  And wow, what a long, long job.

I think anything that repeats itself is tedious for me.  I haven't yet had anything really boring - some wedding seating charts that drove me to distraction and made me chant the complaints of those old medieval monks by the end, but they were all done inside a week each, and a week I can bear. ;)  I'm sure I'll run into something sooner or later!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:01:43 AM »

I think anything that repeats itself is tedious for me.  I haven't yet had anything really boring - some wedding seating charts that drove me to distraction and made me chant the complaints of those old medieval monks by the end, but they were all done inside a week each, and a week I can bear. ;)  I'm sure I'll run into something sooner or later!

I must remember to use the old medieval chants, next time!  :D

I only took on the job because of the unusually long deadline.  This enabled me to do the work in between my usual commissions, in many short bursts over the long period. In this way, I was able to maintain my sanity!  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:07:59 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
A real steady away job, that, Ken.  I like the pricing policy.  :-)

My most tedious job: 140 fancy bedside tables.  How to cope: Radio 4.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »
That means there are (potentially) a few of these precious 1963 bottles with a custom Ken Fraser handwritten label out there.   Imagine that!

Out of curiosity, I googled this... And at least one guy had one in 2009:
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10442   :)
I wonder if he still has it...

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:42:15 PM »
A real steady away job, that, Ken.  I like the pricing policy.  :-)

My most tedious job: 140 fancy bedside tables.  How to cope: Radio 4.

+1 for radio 4!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
That means there are (potentially) a few of these precious 1963 bottles with a custom Ken Fraser handwritten label out there.   Imagine that!

Out of curiosity, I googled this... And at least one guy had one in 2009:
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10442   :)
I wonder if he still has it...
Congratulations on an incredible piece of research!  ;D

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Amazing job Ken ! so many labels...  :o, I understand your pricing advice !
I'm working through my most tedious job right now : I have to print gold frames and monograms on invitations... The client wants me to do it, because they wanted a handmade 'distressed' look. This means I print one side of the page, add the gold foil and pass it though the machine 3 times (and it's slooooow), then print the second side and pass through the machine 3x again  :(
3 hours for 25 pages... I think I should have tripled the estimate   ::)
I'm glad I only have 200 of these to make... could have been worse !

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
I once agreed to write the return address on the flap of 275 envelopes. It took less than a minute to write the address and I told them it would cost $3 per envelope. I thought that $180 per hour would be enough to make it tolerable. It was horrible. I now quote $5 per envelope to do return addresses if there are more than 25 envelopes. 25 is my tipping point for pain of repetition.

Clients assume that it is easier and will be cheaper to have the return address done by hand. I explain the pain of repetition. Then I tell them they can get an embosser for $40 - and they are happy to go with an embosser. I charge $2 apiece to do the embossing because it is so hard on my wrists. So they usually learn to do the embossing on their own.

Offline theturquoisecardinal

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • The Turquoise Cardinal
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
I actually logged in today looking for advice on this exact topic. Thank you for posting!!
Modern Calligraphy + Watercolor Illustration + Designs. I like to create lovely things.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTurquoiseCardinal
https://www.facebook.com/theturquoisecardinal

Offline kathleenprumo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Sincerely Designed
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
Lol, maybe I'm unusual but I sort of relish in tedious jobs! I have been dealing with anxiety and it can be quite comforting to just do one simple task over and over again instead of constantly planning, sketching, problem-solving, and exercising creative muscles. It's like a little breather!

Plus, I love podcasts and if I don't have to think about what I'm doing, then I can catch up on episodes!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »
Plus, I love podcasts and if I don't have to think about what I'm doing, then I can catch up on episodes!

I have trouble listening to the spoken word whilst writing - I occasionally pick up on a word I'm hearing, and write that!
To be safe, I avoid songs (with words) and instead, I listen to instrumental music.  :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:03 AM »
it can be quite comforting to just do one simple task over and over again instead of constantly planning, sketching, problem-solving, and exercising creative muscles. It's like a little breather!

I must admit sometimes I feel similar :)!

But as Ken just stated, I also can't write while listening to words. Even songs can be difficult!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram