Author Topic: Warm Greetings from Atlanta  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Re: Warm Greetings from Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
Are you also familiar with Yoke Pen Company. Christopher yoke make beautiful holders as well. The one he made that I have is so beautiful and very well balanced. It's a dream to write with www.yokepencompany.com
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
Hi Mike!  Welcome to the Forum--this place is the BEST!  I'm in Atlanta, too.   :)

Great to have someone local.
My wife and I live in Virginia Highlands, about a mile from Piedmont Park.
You?

We're not far.  I'm south of Buckhead, North of Midtown.  Have you taken classes in Atlanta or are you a member of the guild or Penablers?  I've taken a couple of classes with Anne Elser and will take one with Emily Canter next month. 
Debbie

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
i think we are all so lucky to have brian smith and christopher yoke make such beautiful instruments for us!!!  i don't have one of mr. yoke's holders...yet...but i do have the nib and pen wipes and those are GREAT!  no fibers at all stuck in my nibs.  and the last a really long time.  like really long.  i ordered 10 a couple of months ago and i am only on the second half of the first one!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Are you also familiar with Yoke Pen Company. Christopher yoke make beautiful holders as well. The one he made that I have is so beautiful and very well balanced. It's a dream to write with www.yokepencompany.com
I was not familiar with Yoke Pen Company until I started to view this forum. Just went to his website--beautiful. I can see one of those in my collection in the future.
Do you have a picture of yours?

Mike

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

We're not far.  I'm south of Buckhead, North of Midtown.  Have you taken classes in Atlanta or are you a member of the guild or Penablers?  I've taken a couple of classes with Anne Elser and will take one with Emily Canter next month.

No classes in Atlanta.
Who/What is the guild and Penablers? I don't get out on the net much, in terms of writing.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

Welcome! Don't feel bad about facebook or twitter - I don't like both mediums, I find it clutters the space and devalues many good old things. I deactivated my Facebook and only use them for specific purposes now.

I'm surprised at the number of people who directly contact penman masters and get guidances from them. It hadn't even occurred to me that they might entertain any request, much less send exemplars. I think I might pass out at my letterbox if I received a beautiful letter from any of the masters here and at IAMPETH.

I guess you're joining the summer card exchange! It's my first time too. I'm awfully new too, so if you have the displeasure of receiving one from me, please don't tear it up immediately. Allow at least a day or two of sitting in the box before ending its life :P
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Regarding contacting master penman, I've found they are all willing to help and are very kind. I wouldn't worry about not being good enough to send anyone you like a letter. My early postcard to Michael Sull, lamenting the dearth of modern penmanship schools, was so badly written his eyes are probably still burning. Nevertheless, he was still most kind.

If I receive a card/letter from you, rest assured I will very much appreciate it and save it as well.

Mike

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
Hi Mike
Here is a picture of mine. Chris made just for the forum as part of a contest. I love it so much. Because of its balance, beauty and workmanship I will be working with him by the end of the year to make me another one.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »

No classes in Atlanta.
Who/What is the guild and Penablers? I don't get out on the net much, in terms of writing.

Mike, here are links.  I planned to go to the meeting of Penablers this month but it was cancelled and I completely forgot about the one for FOTA, Friends of the Alphabet, which is the guild.  I understand they have a very well stocked library, among other helpful resources. 
http://atlantapenablers.com
/http://friendsofthealphabet.com/
Debbie

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
Great balance, I agree, Nickki! I really like that snipped you penned, I will likely steal the content.

Perhaps I will try and contact the master penmen too.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
Welcome Mike!  I used to think I was reticent to post on the internet too ... turns out I just love calligraphy too much to shut up!
Thank you, Moya, for the welcome.
That's great--by all means, don't shut up. Do you have a favorite for of calligraphy or are you a fan of all forms?

Mike

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
Great balance, I agree, Nickki! I really like that snipped you penned, I will likely steal the content.

Perhaps I will try and contact the master penmen too.

I share all I have with my flourish friends so please feel free. I have quotes that I collect from several places and I keep them on my iPad. Everyday I try to letter a few of them. It's a great way to practice and I will eventually have notebooks full of my favorite quotes, etc. Eventually my kids will have them (hopefully many years from now) and they will have my lettering with sayings, poems and quotes that inspired me. Kinda of a win win

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Welcome, Mike!

Perfect place for motivation and advice and support. Universal Penman was also one of my influences when starting out, as were Joe Vitolo and John DeCollibus. I look forward to reading your future posts and hopefully, your work.
Thank you, ultraQuiche, for the welcome.
Oh, The Universal Penman. I don't know how many hours I've looked at the reprint of this book. Bickham's skill as an engraver was as exceptional as the contributors to his subcription.
Love the Joe Vitolo interviews on Iampeth. And John DeCollibus--how can he write with both hands simultaneously? Incredible. I had the good fortune to pick up one of his early works on eBay some years ago. So nice.
As to my work, well, it needs work, and doesn't bear close inspection other than from the kindest hearts.

Mike

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you'll be joining the exchange! It's good practice! Enjoy Flourish! :)
Thank you, Sienne. I am glad to be here.
Lord knows, I need to practise. Fortunately, I love to practise.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »
Thank you, Moya, for the welcome.
That's great--by all means, don't shut up. Do you have a favorite for of calligraphy or are you a fan of all forms?

Mike

I think I'm in love with copperplate at the moment, but only because mine is finally starting to look okay.  Otherwise I have focused on italic and uncials.  I can do a few gothic scripts but wouldn't say that I have mastered them (actually I wouldn't say I've mastered anything!)

If I had to pick an overall favourite, though, probably italic.

How about you?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »

I think I'm in love with copperplate at the moment, but only because mine is finally starting to look okay.  Otherwise I have focused on italic and uncials.  I can do a few gothic scripts but wouldn't say that I have mastered them (actually I wouldn't say I've mastered anything!)

If I had to pick an overall favorite, though, probably italic.

How about you?
The first serious attempt I made to learn some fine writing was copperplate about 20 years ago. I still very much like it, but didn't continue with it for more than a year or two, and haven't done any since. Never was really good at it, as evidenced by some practice sheets I still have from that time (I don't throw out much of anything). At the risk of embarrassing myself, here's an example:

My first love now is Spencerian, which I am finally making an attempt to learn, after admiring it for years.
I did some Christmas cards in uncial just for fun about 20 years ago, and would also like to be able to do that script well too one day. But right now, it's Spencerian.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:54:12 PM by AnasaziWrites »