General Categories > Calligraphy Guilds

Calligraphy guilds disappearing

<< < (8/8)

JERRY TRESSER:
From my own collection. A Victorian Quill Cutter from the 17th century. Elephant Ivory, with a small knife on the back to be used for scraping and possibly some touch up. Quills as well as reeds are a wonderful writing tool. its always the tool that dictates the form. Having the ability to shape a feather or reed to a specific cut is a wonderful opportunity for broad edged users when developing hands that have different angle requirements.   There is allot of information out there on quill cutting.  I prepared a small little photo example on how to prepare the quill if anyone is interested. I use it when teaching quill cutting.   JERRY

AnasaziWrites:

--- Quote from: JERRY TRESSER on December 20, 2017, 06:29:57 AM ---From my own collection. A Victorian Quill Cutter from the 17th century. Elephant Ivory, with a small knife on the back to be used for scraping and possibly some touch up. Quills as well as reeds are a wonderful writing tool. its always the tool that dictates the form. Having the ability to shape a feather or reed to a specific cut is a wonderful opportunity for broad edged users when developing hands that have different angle requirements.   There is allot of information out there on quill cutting.  I prepared a small little photo example on how to prepare the quill if anyone is interested. I use it when teaching quill cutting.   JERRY

--- End quote ---
@JERRY TRESSER
I went to your website (which is terrific by the way) but didn't see the quill cutting information. Would you post a link to it here?
Thanks very much.
Also, are quill cutting knives, like the elephant ivory one you show here, still being made, or does one have to look for a vintage one?

JERRY TRESSER:
Send me an email and i will put the photos together on the process for quill cutting.  I use it when i teach as a reference . It would not be on my website. This knife i believe is from 1865. Queen Victorias cutlery. I have had it in my possession for 50 years. I seriously doubt any kind is being made. Offered Yes !   

I recently met a former student who did purchase one of these cutters from Ebay..  They  do sell them.

This little machine cuts the feathers  beautifully, makes the point,    puts in the split. For pointed pen work its ideal, the little knife in the back  allows the nib to be shaped and cut further if you want to make it into a broad edged nib.   

Allot of the people who i come into contact with always prefer the feather because of its uniqueness.   Have a safe holiday. JERRY

AnasaziWrites:
@JERRY TRESSER
Email Message sent.
M.

JERRY TRESSER:
For those interested, when i teach quill cutting, i use the knife below for beginners. Partilcipants are required to  also have a thumb guard which is not included in the photo.  Any questions, please dont hesitate to contact me directly.  I do also offer a step by step (13) photos from beginning to end on cutting and curing the feathers for use.  JERRY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version