General Categories > Calligraphy Guilds

Calligraphy guilds disappearing

<< < (2/8) > >>

Erica McPhee:
I would agree @Estefa - it does not have to be an "in person" vs internet situation. We are so fortunate to have online classes and videos! And as well, there is definitely something to be said for meeting in person, whether it be via a formal guild or a casual meet up.

I think the larger "issue" is really one of people being less social "in person." And that is in all cases, not just calligraphy guilds. Of course, it is almost all the younger crowd has come to know. But those who have met calligra-friends in person know it offers something an online experience just can't.

I also think there is a tinge of "something" that calligraphers who have been in business for 20+ years feel with all of the newcomers and businesses being started. It has no doubt watered the market (in America) but that is a discussion we have had over and over.

To be sure, there is a volume of benefit in both online learning and guilds.

arherbgm:
If it were not for FF, books, YouTube, and other online resources I'd have lost some motivation.  Always looking for more, of course --- "in person" meetups not happening near me - closest is Philadelphia Calligraphers' Society.  Private instruction is cost prohibitive for me; online classes, videos, and workshops are reasonably priced.  Haven't looked - are there any threads in FF with compilation of the better online things available, or recommendations?

Soooo...that said:  I'm going to hold you to your promise, Estefa! ;)  I find that I sit and stare at others' work as well as whatever I can find with so many of you fine calligraphers in action.  I'll look forward to your online instruction!!

If anyone located from Maryland Eastern Shore to the Delaware coast out there wants to give a shout out --- no problem.

Thanks,
Arlen 

Erica McPhee:
Arlen, @arherbgm , if you go to the Flourish FAQ page on the base site, and scroll down to Tutorials, there are a list of various tutorials available on Flourish.

There is also this thread: Workshops & Conference News which lists various workshops both online and in person when someone sees it and shares.

JERRY TRESSER:
Thank you for contributing.  JERRY

Estefa:

--- Quote from: arherbgm on November 28, 2017, 11:32:52 AM ---
Soooo...that said:  I'm going to hold you to your promise, Estefa! ;)  I find that I sit and stare at others' work as well as whatever I can find with so many of you fine calligraphers in action.  I'll look forward to your online instruction!!

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot for your kind encouragement, Arlen it may take a while, as I'll start probably with a German class ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version