General Categories > Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship

Everyday Penmanship Budding Student

(1/9) > >>

Lyric:
Not wanting to hijack the gentleman's post I thought I should begin my own. 

Thank you to Ms. Jean Wilson @jeanwilson who has helped tremendously and I have not even begun yet  ;D.  My hope is to save time by researching what I need to learn.   Last year I started modern calligraphy only to find out it was not where my interest were.  Traditional calligraphy a la engrosser's or copperplate is what I wanted to learn.  Don't want to make the same mistake for everyday writing.

jeanwilson:
IMHO you are 75% of the way along your path to the style you found on IG.
You already have the slant and the basics of the shapes of the letters.
It is like learning all the different parts of a dance or parts of a song.
In music and dance there are the physical basics of the parts.
Then you put them together.
Eventually, you work on subtle nuances and if you are a serious student you might get into theory as well.

There is never just ONE WAY to learn dance or music or penmanship.
You have to find the methods that work for you.
A good teacher or coach will help each student discover the methods that work for the individual.

I'll work on a list of all the different approaches that I have used so you can ponder your options.

In the meantime - you might consider one of the methods that doesn't get much press, but many teachers include it as an option.
Tracing.
If you trace an example of something that you just love - it is very encouraging to see that your hand is perfectly capable of making exactly what you want. When I was just beginning, I was invited to participate in an intermediate class - even though I was a complete beginner. The person who invited me knew that I could *cram* for the class. So, I spent every spare minute tracing examples done by the instructor. By the time the class started, I had embedded a ton of good muscle memory and blended in with the crowd.

Lyric:

--- Quote from: jeanwilson on September 22, 2020, 10:42:47 AM ---IMHO you are 75% of the way along your path to the style you found on IG.
You already have the slant and the basics of the shapes of the letters.
It is like learning all the different parts of a dance or parts of a song.
In music and dance there are the physical basics of the parts.
Then you put them together.
Eventually, you work on subtle nuances and if you are a serious student you might get into theory as well.

There is never just ONE WAY to learn dance or music or penmanship.
You have to find the methods that work for you.
A good teacher or coach will help each student discover the methods that work for the individual.

I'll work on a list of all the different approaches that I have used so you can ponder your options.

In the meantime - you might consider one of the methods that doesn't get much press, but many teachers include it as an option.
Tracing.
If you trace an example of something that you just love - it is very encouraging to see that your hand is perfectly capable of making exactly what you want. When I was just beginning, I was invited to participate in an intermediate class - even though I was a complete beginner. The person who invited me knew that I could *cram* for the class. So, I spent every spare minute tracing examples done by the instructor. By the time the class started, I had embedded a ton of good muscle memory and blended in with the crowd.

--- End quote ---

Hello Jean, fyi

I have not shared a sample of my writing yet.  There may have been a misunderstanding.  That is why I started my own thread the other thread where I first met you that young man posted a sample of his own writing. I will be sharing my sample here at my thread.

Make sense?

jeanwilson:
Sorry --
I did confuse the people on the thread.
I'll watch for your sample.
Thanks
:-)

Lyric:

--- Quote from: jeanwilson on September 23, 2020, 06:26:26 AM ---I'll watch for your sample.
Thanks
:-)

--- End quote ---

The first photo is a sample of my notetaking last week.  I share it because I was not trying to impress newfound penmanship buds  ;D.  The second was done now.  At the top I was writing at my regular speed.  The bottom shows me trying to impress, LOL.  I slowed down.

Recalling the advice you gave the gentleman at the other thread I feel I am not looking to improve THIS stuff  :-\.  I am thinking an entire overhall is necessary.  Then again, I am not the penman pro so I am open to constructive suggestions.  I realize this project will take a while so I am eager to get started.  I am hoping a realistic goal to see SOME change toward increased legibility, with daily practice, may be seen in four to six months. Yes?  No?

ETA:  The handwriting sample at the very top is what I WOULD LIKE mine to resemble.  Monoline Spencerian, Business Penmanship . . . I do NOT know the exact nomenclature; but I know pretty handwriting when I see it.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version