Author Topic: Copperplate Practice  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Copperplate Practice
« on: May 25, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
So, decided to try something different today.   Boy do I have mad respect for calligraphers that get "it" when it comes to spacing out a project.  Clearly it is out of my league . . . for now.

Therefore, I shall slink back to my Copperplate Foundations class, back to line after line; page after page after page after page of individual letters (for the class I am currently in).   I'm disappointed with this today [first photo].  Really thought it would have turned out nicer.  Ce la vie.

Writing words for practice which includes spacing is much more enjoyable.  Thanks Jean @jeanwilson .  I am doing that too.   ;D  I believe my entrance/exit strokes are fine [at least].  So I do not feel today's session was a total bust.

Onward and upward.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Copperplate Practice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:07 PM »
Yes! Great progress. A few tips:

Watch your guidelines. On the last page, the rows of m's you can see some places where you missed coming all the way up and a few places where you went over. Make a few lines where you only focus on that. Slow down and concentrate. This is why drills are helpful, too.  ;D

Watch your straight t crosses. They are slanting downward.

The width of your h humps (overturns) and n humps should be the same. Your h's get a bit skinny.

I love that you did a piece with a quote. Working on composition is just as important a skill to help it all come together. Try a version where you space the lines closer together.

Great practice! Keep going and post again!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:02:10 AM »
Yes! Great progress. A few tips:

Watch your guidelines. On the last page, the rows of m's you can see some places where you missed coming all the way up and a few places where you went over. Make a few lines where you only focus on that. Slow down and concentrate. This is why drills are helpful, too.  ;D

Watch your straight t crosses. They are slanting downward.

The width of your h humps (overturns) and n humps should be the same. Your h's get a bit skinny.

I love that you did a piece with a quote. Working on composition is just as important a skill to help it all come together. Try a version where you space the lines closer together.

Great practice! Keep going and post again!  :-*

Invaluable!!!! Yessss, will do!  Thank you for taking the time, Ms. Erica!  My heart is leaping with joy (pun intended its my middle name)  and encouragement.

ETA:  I printed, underlined, and bolded this advice.  My next practice later today I will have it beside me for reference.

This is too cool  ;D.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:17:30 AM by lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:41 AM »
Currently in Copperplate Foundations with Younghae C. We are in the last days of minuscule practice.  HP 32# is ny practice paper of choice.  Hunt 22b nib and McCaffery's Ink in Indigo Blue and walnut crystals were used last evening.

It was an enjoyable session.  I probably should
 do it earlier in the day vs. before bed.  Where does the time go?
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:40:43 AM »
Last day for majuscule practice.  Getting in last practices before turning in homework later.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
Your lines are getting more delicate and confident!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 08:42:02 AM »
Your lines are getting more delicate and confident!  :-*

Class winds up this week.  Boy did that go fast.

I learned I prefer (need) the structure of a class.  It keeps me on point.

Since Copperplate Foundations is ending this week.  I suppose I will go back to practicing basic strokes.  That's what the prophytes say.  I went to Younghae's Insta feed, re-followed and was reading, reading the other morning.  It gave me the oomph to go ahead and embrace practicing drills, basic strokes.  I need to remember I have only been at this for about 1.5 years.  Not long at all in the stream of things.  I confess feeling it makes more sense to practice writing words than individual letters though.  I can't seem to shake that thought.

Onward and upward (with drills and practice).
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
Practicing with a #Minuskewls challenge on IG. 
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 08:08:46 AM »
Minuskewls Challenge
Day 12 - Week 3

I like challenges.  They provide direction for practice material.

Comments welcomed.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »
YES! Those are some gorgeous k's!  ;D  One thing to work on - getting your ascenders even. I would suggest doing this by practicing taking them to the top line. I know Dr. Vitolo states the ascenders should extend to just below the top ascender line. However, until you have a consistent hand, this will be inconsistent. I would suggest focusing on hitting that top line. Then once you can do that with consistency, take it down to just below if that is your preference.

The full overturn starting from the midline and going up and over is difficult. You can also try doing it the other way starting at the top and coming down, then going back up for the overturn. You can do this either with or without a second slight shade on the right side. Give it a try - you may like that way, too. (Did a quick example using Procreate.)

Having measured with a ruler several different exemplars from various old masters, I can say there was not a set rule for the height. It varied by penman and even within their own exemplars.

You have done an excellent job with a graceful entry stroke and not "impaling" the letter. Overall, fantastic improvement! Bravo!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 09:24:53 PM »
Good evening.  Thank you, E.  Tomorrow I will do this and perhaps print out your example for my records. 👌🏾
Cheerfully,
Lyric