Author Topic: Day 9 - 2022: NEST  (Read 482 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 9 - 2022: NEST
« on: October 09, 2022, 01:36:39 AM »
Nest.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
Re: Day 9 - 2022: NEST
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 09:41:33 AM »
@Zivio I love the second N and the circular flourish!

My goal today is to figure out a simple and pretty pattern for gilding around my French roundhand. So, I'm figuring out how to nest my text :D
See you in a few hours!
Oh crępe!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
In the tea olive in our back yard in 2014
In Hindi, devanagri script
McCaffery's Penman's black ink
Brause #180, 2mm

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
@Zivio - Love the third N. And the nest on the beach is great!

@Lucie Y  - Your french Roundhand is just gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

@AnasaziWrites - OK, now you’re just showing off. LOL! Just kidding. Hindi?! Amazing!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »
@Erica McPhee
Beautiful work.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »
Here's my work for today. Testing vines to decorate my French Roundhand text. I like small simples ones Best, so will be working on that!
Done with finetec because I'm saving my gold leaf for later <3
There is some more practice on my desk, but the little dinosaur has come  for me and I must feed her.

Have a great rest of your day everyone!
Oh crępe!

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 09:21:43 PM »
@tiffany.c.a & @Lucie Y - thank you for leading the way with longer texts.  I'm trying out longer phrases, because it does test the consistency of the letterforms better (and show off all my flaws).  Both of you are showing off lovely flourishes & decorative work too.  Your illuminated leaf & vine decorations, Lucie - just breathtaking!

@AnasaziWrites - your penwork in that M on Match is worthy of Matthew Paris himself!  Splendid!  And a fine example of Devanagari script.  I'm more familiar with the Gujarati variant.  I wish I could study all of them!

@Erica McPhee - thank you so much for showing us how it is done!  every. single. day.  You're really an inspiration!

@Zivio - so many great N's.  What kind of bird built that nest?  Thank you for your kind words about my matching lovebirds.  I do love birds! and, yes, I'm excited about the "eagle" prompt coming up too!  I bet you thought I'd draw another bird for "nest", but I thought I'd commemorate the wasp nest that one of our summer bluejays destroyed.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 10:40:46 PM »
It’s so interesting to see where people end up each day - so many choices, what will each person choose to focus on that day? Sometimes a continuation, sometimes different.

Well, today I focused on finally starting to work on flourished birds and quills. I did a little practice in the past, but in order to improve I must practice more consistently. So, I am still just getting the basics down.

The birds I practiced in pencil only (trying to understand the main shapes more) - the last one I did today is below. The lettering was a Pentel pocket brush, and the resource I was looking at was a handout from Harvest’s class.)

I did a couple quills in pencil, then jumped into ink. The ink practice is below. Done with Tachikawa G in straight holder, and sumi, and the resource was Lupfer’s Ornate Pictorial Calligraphy. Results were rough at first, but it got a little better. (The order is counterclockwise.) Clearly I need practice, but I am posting it to show value for the process.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 10:45:47 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 12:25:50 AM »
@AnasaziWrites   You sent me to Google with that Devanagari Script.  Excellent -- but 47 characters, yikes!  Beautiful picture of those chicks in your yard!

@K-2   We just encountered a huge wasp nest at my parent-in-laws’ house – yours is fantastic!  As for my nest, it was actually an afterthought.  I’d written in the sand next to a big round blob of seaweed and thought, “Wait ...  a ... minute!”  I popped a couple of sand dollars I’d just found in it and, nest.  I guess you could say a dodo made it.   

@tiffany.c.a  I enjoyed seeing your practice work and process on those quills.  Apparently, I was way more impressed than you!  I’ve never seen anything like this, and those feathers just pop out of the page!  Coincidentally, I, too, made spaghetti tonight … for dinner.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »

@AnasaziWrites - your penwork in that M on Match is worthy of Matthew Paris himself!  Splendid!  And a fine example of Devanagari script.  I'm more familiar with the Gujarati variant.  I wish I could study all of them!

@K-2
Thanks.

I guess I'll stick with broad pen scripts for this Inktober. How is it you are even at all familiar with Gujarati?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 12:42:46 PM »
@Lucie Y - Beautiful vine work and your French Roundhand has me mesmerized!

@K-2 - thank you for your kind words! Made my day! And that nest - wow! I am starting to really see some confidence in the lines of your Engrosser’s Script.

@tiffany.c.a - wow - the quills - gorgeous!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 11:58:49 PM »

Nested at the terminals of the backyard...a surprise.