Author Topic: Day 14 - 2022: EMPTY  (Read 413 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 14 - 2022: EMPTY
« on: October 14, 2022, 12:20:24 AM »
Today's practice comes via pencil.  Trying to wrap my brain, eyes, arm, etc. around those ovals and proportions.    And placement of "m" following "E" ... comments or thoughts on best practice here are welcome.  Thanks!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Day 14 - 2022: EMPTY
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »
Micron pen and markers
Western Script used in the tv series "The Rifleman."

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »
Talk about "Kind" - everyone was so kind about my dead bird fail.  @Lucie Y - I think that "intense stare" is the glint from its dead glass eye.  :P
* your Ronde is really beautiful!  If you're trying to center it for a presentation piece, you can calculate the layout by doing an under-drawing draft and then setting it on a light table and marking where the lines need to start relative to each other.  It's easier and faster than measuring.  There's a whole Flourish Forum board devoted to layout & design issues.  A terrific set of resources: https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=33.0

@Zivio - glad you liked the "K" for Karl.  It's a fun one to draw!  Your "Empty" is very well proportioned, and I think you got the spacing between the capital and minuscules just right.

We had a couple inches of snow this morning, so I worked from home and took a lunch break to do a quick drawing (using a 2019 Invent ink called "Winter Miracle" as a nod to the onset of winter) -- but I don't have nearly as clever a twist as @AnasaziWrites (with very cool lettering).  Nonetheless, I stayed with my animals!

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 04:08:07 PM »
Hi everyone!!!

Sooooo I'm committed to layouts now. So here is my first total fail and then two more tries, and figuring out layouts isn't as awful as I expected.
To find a quote for the day I google imaged "empty quote". That was one depressing scrolling session  ;D ;D ;D

@Zivio I love that E. Good idea doing some pencil work. Are you familiar with Paul Antonio's concept of "angular confinement" that he uses to figure out letter proportion? I find it helpful though I don't use it allll the time.
@AnasaziWrites this is so creative! is there any script you cannot do?
@K-2 thank you for the tips and resources, now that I have had the opportunity to screw up a bit, I should get a lot out of actually reading how it's done, the learning sticks better that way. Lovely squid, and I really really like the way you write copperplate.

Cheers!

Lu

Oh crÍpe!

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 07:02:23 PM »

... Are you familiar with Paul Antonio's concept of "angular confinement" that he uses to figure out letter proportion? ...

Not until now have I heard this term!  I just watched his YouTube on the topic found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2JwKsY4jvE if of interest to anyone else.  I can see how this may be of great help -- thank you!  I always delight in the learning process how one thing leads to another which helps to build foundations for progress. 

I also enjoyed his introduction (to me) of the "line of universal beauty."  @Jean Wilson had mentioned it in a recent email, but I hadn't yet had opportunity to research.  It occurs to me that this wonderful shape is embodied in the integration symbol for integral calculus -- truly a thing of beauty to me!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:28 PM »
We had a couple inches of snow this morning, so I worked from home and took a lunch break to do a quick drawing (using a 2019 Invent ink called "Winter Miracle" as a nod to the onset of winter) -- but I don't have nearly as clever a twist as @AnasaziWrites (with very cool lettering).  Nonetheless, I stayed with my animals!
Balderdash.

This is exquisite.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 12:03:28 AM »
@K-2 - snow??!! Itís mid-October!  :o Never the less I have a thing for jellyfish and this one is beautiful!

@Zivio - I like to go back to pencil as well. That capital E is one of my favorites.

@AnasaziWrites - Another day, another smile! Well done!

@Lucie Y - I adore your french script. What a great exercise in layout. The second one is ready for its frame.  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 01:02:19 AM »