Author Topic: DAY 30 - 2022: GEAR  (Read 927 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
DAY 30 - 2022: GEAR
« on: October 30, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
This was fun!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: DAY 30 - 2022: GEAR
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 05:50:32 PM »
That's such a cool interpretation, @Erica McPhee -- clean and evocative!  I actually thought about trying to recreate the bee error figure from the Saint John's Bible for "gear", but went with this bit instead.  Ultimately, I'm a little disappointed with the drawing, as the blue ink I chose didn't behave as well for drawing/washes as I had hoped.  But it was a worthwhile experiment!

@Cyril Jayant - thank you for cheering us on!  And thanks to @tiffany.c.a too.

And thank you for your kind thoughts about my ink drawings as well.  I always hope folks won't find them kind of off-topic for a calligraphy forum.  We're looking forward to having you join the fun next time.  Or maybe even for Inkvent, in December.

It's been so terrific seeing everyone's work blossom this month, as Erica says.  It's hard to believe it'll all be over tomorrow.  Somehow it was less of a harrowing slog this year, having such a kind and welcoming space that Erica has created for us here.

If you've been lurking, I hope we'll see you contributing (images and/or enthusiasm) next year!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »
Sprott's No. 1 nib  (a new vintage nib for me--very similar to Spencerian #1 if not identical).
McCaffery's Penman's Black
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 03:31:00 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 08:17:35 PM »
@K-2 - LOVE! When I was young my brother was highly allergic to animals, so I had a pet hermit crab named Creepy. I used to drag walk him around the kitchen with a leash I made from twistie ties. He ate peanut butter. When he died, I got another one and named him Creepy Jr.  ;D

Great image @AnasaziWrites - enviable gear!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:05:22 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 12:16:10 AM »
Since 2005, this is my

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 04:27:45 AM »
Running one day late but lurking every chance I get!
@Erica McPhee  this is brilliant, it is giving me ideas.
@K-2 I love this, and I'm in awe with how much art you produce on a weekly basis on top of your work and being a dad. You haven't missed one prompt and your work is beautiful. I love the little hermit, your mosquito and jellyfish too!
@AnasaziWrites enjoy your time away!
@Cyril Jayant you are French aren't you? :) thanks for the encouragement
@tiffany.c.a thank you for the encouragements, I hadn't replied yet but was touched by the kind words.
@Zivio I loved your portrait from the other day! I hope you are having a great time :)

Cheers everyone!
Oh crêpe!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »
Since 2005, this is my
@InkyFingers
Very nice gear, both the bike and the word. Just right on the shades.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 09:22:19 AM »
@AnasaziWrites enjoy your time away!
Cheers everyone!
Oh, I'm not away--that was from a 2019 trip.
@Lucie Y

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
I believe this Day 30 may be my favorite day of Inktober so far! It is perhaps so for me because I’m sensing an intimacy that is only forged when people are “together” in a shared experience over a long enough period of time.    That, plus everyone’s kindness and support has made a comfortable and safe environment to put forth our creative extensions of ourselves —  and in which to “wear our egos lightly” (thank you @AnasaziWrites for that earlier Buddha quote!)

And along the way, little bits of your personal lives, history, anecdotes and personality have slipped through. This has been an unexpected and my favorite part of the experience. You all are beautiful people.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 11:05:44 AM »
@K-2 Your art has often reminded me of  my most beloved elementary school teacher. Today’s crab compels me to share this memory. In fifth grade, Mr. David read aloud to us the book Pagoo, by Holling C. Holling.

This book tells the story of the hermit crab, “Pagoo”, so-named because Pagurus is a genus of hermit crabs in the family Paguridae. (I missed your Latin today!) This wonderful book presents an intricate study of tide-pool life from Pagoo’s perspective and through gorgeous watercolor illustrations, and I and my classmates were hooked! Mr. David had also brought some marine life to class one day, and from that point on, I wanted to be a marine biologist “when I grow up!” I made myself a plankton net, and Dad took us on a trip to Bodega Bay where I embarked on some research.

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 11:10:57 AM »
@K2 - LOVE! When I was young my brother was highly allergic to animals, so I had a pet hermit crab named Creepy. I used to drag walk him around the kitchen with a leash I made from twistie ties. He ate peanut butter. When he died, I got another one and named him Creepy Jr.

Your pet crab story cracks me up! As kids, we used to catch drone honeybees and tie little sewing thread “leashes” on them to fly them around, but your crab leash is a first for me! I had a similar pet naming story, though.

Mine was one of those little quarter sized turtles which I improbably named “Frisky Coat-Coat.”  As you may well imagine, FCC was far from frisky, but I must have had my reasons. Frisky disappeared shortly after setting up its little plastic tank only to be found dead behind the refrigerator, covered in lint. Mom consoled me with a replacement … which I named “Frisky Coat-Coat The Second.”

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 09:59:43 PM »
@Zivio -- I totally remember that book!  It was a huge favorite of mine; I remember that scene where Pagoo has to fend off another hermit crab from a shell they both want.  Such an honor to be thought alongside a beloved school teacher too!  Nice portrait of you "camping" - Write on, pal!

Ah, @Lucie Y - you are too kind entirely.  I'm parenting on easy-mode these days, with one kid away at university and the younger one driving himself around.  I have some regrets about their early years when I was working so hard to get tenure at my university.  I barely remember the first couple years of my first son's life!  Maybe ultimately it all paid off.  Once I had tenure I vowed to be there for them, and my kids have been all over the world with me on research trips.  But gosh, Lucie, your comment about falling asleep in random places really brought me back to those days when I'd sleep on the floor of my office sometimes - my grad students would find me in there at 7am eating microwave popcorn for breakfast.

@Erica McPhee and Karl -- I'm happy the little hermit crab brought back fond memories of long lost pets.  And also produced such great stories about their names!  Creepy Jr!  Frisky Coat-Coat!  and the Second!  It reminds me when my youngest got a plushie turtle toy which he unimaginatively named "Turtle".  I said, "Just 'Turtle'? how will we tell them from the other turtles?" Which he then thoughtfully amended to, "Turtle D Turd", and spouse was like "JUST TURTLE WILL BE FINE"

@InkyFingers - your Spencerian is such an inspiration.  Getting to see it every day has been a real treat.  You definitely give me some Spencerian goals!  Also some motorcycle envy, rather like the fancy car envy and also the travel envy I get from @AnasaziWrites along with the Spencerian admiration.

Karl - I do think you're right about this moment being my favorite.  Such a great community (even within a great community) has come together for Inktober this year!  Thank you, everyone, for indulging my prodding to do Inktober on Flourish Forum for the second year in a row.  It's a little sad to see the month ending!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 10:12:08 PM »
I believe this Day 30 may be my favorite day of Inktober so far! It is perhaps so for me because I’m sensing an intimacy that is only forged when people are “together” in a shared experience over a long enough period of time.   
And along the way, little bits of your personal lives, history, anecdotes and personality have slipped through. This has been an unexpected and my favorite part of the experience. You all are beautiful people.
Beautiful.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 11:32:37 PM »
@Zivio Here Here ... uhmmm  Hear Hear

Every now and then, a newbie comes along with the enthusiasms that we are familiar with, as once we ourselves were.
As we sought to improve ourselves, hitching a ride with a junior is a thrill by itself.  So it must be said, thanks Zivio for bringing yourself.

@K-2
@AnasaziWrites
@Erica McPhee 
et al

Thanks everyone for your magnanimous display & sharing of your artistry, inspirations and kind words.  But wait... there's one more day!