Author Topic: KOUS Shimmering Walnut Inks  (Read 163 times)

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
KOUS Shimmering Walnut Inks
« on: April 04, 2023, 08:20:32 AM »
Anyone tried these? The green, blue, and gold varieties are sold out at JNB, however PIA has them in stock. Although pretty, Iím not too interested in the shimmering aspect. What intrigues me is a walnut ink with a hue in addition to brown; especially blue. As a primary color, there is no other color that can be mixed with brown/yellow to achieve blue. These swatches from JNB intrigue me.

Correction: PIA are now also sold out of the green, blue, and gold colors. That was fast!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 08:35:04 AM by BrightStar »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: KOUS Shimmering Walnut Inks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 11:57:07 AM »
I have the gold one and tried it just recently but didnít see any of the shimmer come through. It just looked like walnut ink. Maybe I need to shake it up a bit more.  :-\
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 03:26:56 PM »
Thank you for the reply Erica. I hope it works better for you next time. I really love walnut ink and would very much like to hear any experiences anyone has had with these colored varieties. They are a bit pricey and Iím curious if people are really getting results like the swatches.

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 04:25:55 PM »
@BrightStar I haven't tried them but thank you for sharing them.  They're extremely lovely and I might go get some now that you've shown them off.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 05:44:01 PM »
What lovely inks, @BrightStar - thank you for sharing the image of them.

The colors are caused by the shimmer itself - the colored particulates don't mix with the liquid ink, and they'll only show up if you keep agitating the ink to keep them in suspension. So yeah, @Erica McPhee - probably shake it up more (that's always a topic of discussion during Inkvent).

You can make your own walnut shimmer inks by adding Pearl Ex Powdered Pigments to plain walnut ink.
https://www.paperinkarts.com/pearlx.html
* be aware that they stick around on the paper better if you add a little gum arabic (erasing can be a little hard on them). Spraying with a fixative helps keep them glued down, but also dulls the effect.

I also just bought one of the Wearingeul glitter potion sets (the Wicked Witch set) - I'll post about them when I get a chance to try them out.
https://www.penchalet.com/blog/wearingeul-glitter-potion-review-giveaway/

I personally think that shimmer inks show up somewhat better with broad-edge calligraphy (just because there's more ink on the page, and hence more shimmer particles) - but they're subtle and beautiful in pointed pen too.

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 08:06:42 AM »
Excellent explanation @K-2. Iím going to try the Pearl Ex pigments. So many colors to choose from and all pretty cheap too. Thank you for recommending them!