Author Topic: Is it Really Free?  (Read 34991 times)

Offline Sandeeee

• Never stop learning. Never stop writing.
    • View Profile
    • Sandeegraphy
Re: Is it Really Free?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2015, 05:50:07 AM »
Thank you for bringing this back Angi!

Thank you, Erica, for your generosity and kind heart. You are such an inspiration to everyone! <3
Sandee Suan - sandeegraphy.wordpress.com
"Never stop learning. Never stop feeling. Never stop writing."
@sandeegraphy

Offline angeliqueink

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
OOPS--I meant to say, "your desire to bridge the gap between TRADITIONAL and modern calligraphers." I'm sure you knew what I meant, ha!
Thank you again! I am stoked to continue this letter journey in a new way!

Offline collyermum

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
Yes, thank you Erica, so much for posting these lessons. I am loving learning, and there are no classes  near me nor do I have the funds to attend. I am spending time every day with your videos and worksheets and enjoying learning - thank you!   ;D
Copperplate, just trying some Spencerian for variety

Offline CHAKAMEDINA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
wow! When I opened this topic I was expecting to read something totally different. Bravo to you. I appreciate all the awesome, free calligraphy everything you provide. But I also appreciate everything you stated in this post. Blessings to you and your family. This was inspiring!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
Thanks Sandeeee, angeliqueink, collyermum (love that username!), and CHAKAMEDINA! I'm glad you all are enjoying Flourish! And I very much appreciate your posts.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sharisse

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Calligraphy
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
Hi Erica!!!

Wow, too many feelings of joy to share in a tiny box. I just read this post about "is it really free?" and I am blown away. For months of sharing on my own personal Instagram account and my blog, I have struggled with this same topic of charging. In the moment, I am absolutely happy to share what I know. If I ever want to charge, it MUST be in order to sustain myself financially and break apart from my day job (non-calligraphy). Sharing is truly caring. "I do not give because I have. I have because I give."

Thank you for sharing these beautiful thoughts. I have been a Flourish Forum member for some time, but never dove into the group. Will stick around and get more acquainted. Thank you again for your generosity and beautiful heart.

Sharisse

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, Sharisse! I'm glad you are joining us.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
Erica,

Thank you so much for all your hard work and providing the FF. I am glad there is an online guild environment that is all things calligraphy!

I just want to tell you that I voted for you at IAMPETH for the most influential person poll. I wish you would have won it, because the time, money and sleepless nights keeping this environment going is the best thing that has happened to the calligraphy community. And IMHO, is why IAMPETH membership has exponentially grown too.

Hugs,
Amy

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
In other words, the reason why it's free is because you are a good person and you realize a good thing doesn't have to have a price tag slapped on it.

Tank you, Erica
 :D

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
Thank you so much Amy! I am so touched by your thoughtfulness!  :)  :-*

Thanks Carina! :-)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline NettieR

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
Dear Erica,

Thank you for all that you share. I am a "Newbie" to the Forum and am so appreciative of being able to receive the wisdom that everyone has to share. I count my blessings each day. I learned calligraphy 5 years ago with a C-2 nib and am in awe of all that I know now and willingly share because there are still those who do not know what the art of calligraphy is. In 2013 I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and the fear of NOT doing all that I had planned to do in life motivates me each day to start a conversation as many times as possible about being a calligrapher. I'm in pursuit of living each of my dreams. I may not be as good or great as many but my foundation is firm and my love of the art keeps me hungry and wanting to learn more each day. What you have Erica, as well as me and other Forum members is described as "PASSION". It's the one that we would do everyday even if we weren't paid to do it. Thank you!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Thank you for sharing Nettie! You hit the nail on the head! It's why my motto is "Be Brave. Love Life."  Keep sharing and thank you!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline rorieboat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • www.rorieboat.wordpress.com
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »
Read this waaaaay too late but it could have not been anymore timely. I am deeply encouraged by this post, Erica! I can't begin to explain how much.

Just my two cents on the free videos that you provide, I totally agree with you that it shouldn't hurt those who hold paid workshops. I think there are two types of calligraphy enthusiasts. There are self-learners (like myself) who totally appreciate all the available online resources and there are those who needs a physical presence--somebody right in front of them who will show them and teach them what to do. For the latter, the paid workshops does a lot of help!
Row. Row. Row your boat.
Portfolio | Blog | Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
Thanks rorieboat!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline cmccho

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
I was expecting to read something different! Wow! I am deeply touched and encouraged by your post!
Plus, thank you for all your hard  work, it also encourages me!