Author Topic: Day 29 - 2023: Massive  (Read 353 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Day 29 - 2023: Massive
« on: October 29, 2023, 05:42:02 PM »
massive

From the Galapagos, 2018.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Day 29 - 2023: Massive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
My apologies for  posting my image 29  MASSIVE on a separate thread as I did not see this thread. So I thought I am the first one for this thread to start.

@AnasaziWrites I love your image  and  it is well done. That is a heavy weight  "massive" indeed.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 06:50:51 PM »
INTOMBER 23
 DAY 29 - Massive

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 07:36:23 PM »
@AnasaziWrites I had no idea the turtles could get this massive! thanks for the pic!

@Cyril Jayant I'm so glad you joined Inktober after all and are providing us with all those adorable cartoons.

@K2 thank you for sharing your expertise once again. No worries about justifying. The inner kid NEEDED that pretty shiny bottle, after way too much adulting lately, so I wasn't going to feel bad! But if you thought it was a terrible choice, I could totally hear it  ;D ;D ;D
In the end you made me even more excited about receiving them, so thank you! (and I need that Iron ore now)

Here's my entry. I struggled a bit, but the point is to struggle in order to find solutions. I know I've done a bit of progress today.
Now my next homework is to write a whole quote in a nice layout. With variations. By Thursday. Seriously, who lives at this speed? I'm toast.

Apart from this, I never thought I would enjoy Fraktur this much. So it's a nice surprise!

Night night everyone!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 07:40:51 PM by Lucie Y »
Oh crêpe!

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 10:28:33 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - Some people say I live a life of globe-trotting adventure, full of exciting discoveries in manuscript libraries, but YOU, sir, are the true glob-trotting adventurer! (actually, nobody who is familiar with my research says anything of the sort of me; even other medievalists are amazed at the tedium involved)
* But Mike - does it say more about you that you recognized the blurry tiny label on my "Sparkle/Effervesce" bottle, or about me insofar as I didn't bother looking at a reference photo to draw it, but that it was still recognizable to you.  ;)

I think I might take your suggestion and pop open a bottle of La Veuve when the month is over - It's been an absolutely vile stretch at work, but Inktober has kept me sane and grounded in the sort of work I like to do best (even as my administrative overlords have kept me too busy to do my actual job). It's given me a sample alphabet for a potential collaborative project too!

@Cyril Jayant - I agree with Mike about your "Sparkle" drawing - your best yet!

@Lucie Y - I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing work with your new inks when they arrive! Please start a new thread about them! And I have to know if the bottle design does not simultaneously and equally delight you with its beauty and dismay you with its utter impracticality.
* I did a review of the Atlas Iron Ore on this thread: https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7712.0
* I keep a 2.4mm Parallel pen loaded with it at all times!  However, you may be disappointed in that it is ONLY available at the Atlas Stationers in Chicago, IL. That's the place I get my Inkvent sets from too, Mike - I have a lot of rewards points from their customer loyalty program, so I got a pretty big discount on it  ;D  Have I opened it!? Before the start of Advent?! What are you accusing me of, Sir? Self-restraint? You know I have none! I mean, how else am I going to get all the swatch cards ready so that I can figure out what to draw with them in December?

* Hey, maybe I should buy some ink instead of that Veuve Clicquot as a reward for finishing the month! It's way less expensive and it lasts longer too! Justification unlocked!

Here is my take on "Massive" - I need an X for my alphabet though, so I down-sized it to eXtra large.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 02:06:51 AM »
@K2 I forgot to say I especially loved the color of the background on your effervescent post.
Now the x on your extra large is something. Lovely elephants and very nice nuanced shading (with the pinkish undertones). Love it!

Also, who wants to be remembered for their fabulous restraint in terms of calligraphy inks?

I think you should get yourself both the Veuve Cliquot and the ink  ;D
Oh crêpe!

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 06:09:42 AM »
@AnasaziWrites I had no idea the turtles could get this massive! thanks for the pic!

@Cyril Jayant I'm so glad you joined Inktober after all and are providing us with all those adorable cartoons.

@K2 thank you for sharing your expertise once again. No worries about justifying. The inner kid NEEDED that pretty shiny bottle, after way too much adulting lately, so I wasn't going to feel bad! But if you thought it was a terrible choice, I could totally hear it  ;D ;D ;D
In the end you made me even more excited about receiving them, so thank you! (and I need that Iron ore now)

Here's my entry. I struggled a bit, but the point is to struggle in order to find solutions. I know I've done a bit of progress today.
Now my next homework is to write a whole quote in a nice layout. With variations. By Thursday. Seriously, who lives at this speed? I'm toast.

Apart from this, I never thought I would enjoy Fraktur this much. So it's a nice surprise!

Night night everyone!

I read earlier that you hope to make a living out of calligraphy,..... You, ma'am, are going to be a busy, wealthy lady in years to come. That is 'fact' if ever there was one.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 08:48:44 AM »
@Lucie Y Thank you and glad you like my cartoon interpretation  into the Inktober challenges. Actually it was just an idea I got into from the first draw I did it and the rest came very easily into the series.
My drawing was done so fast I never bothered to use a right paper ink and pen  to use . Just rough  drawing and I wish I have done them very carefully and taking more time .
I have a very different idea for the the next year and I am going to use my full skills of calligraphy  for sure.

Thank you again  and I must say Your skills are getting better and I must say you have improved a lot better for the time you just joined the forum.
I am sure you have more dedication and motivation to get to that level where you are aiming for making a living out of writing. You definitely  be able to do it. And you have more ground to do many things in Paris.
PARIS BEING THE PLACE FOR PARADISE OF ART , THERE ARE many interesting ideas could put into seed. Invite me to your exhibiting in Jeu de Paume in- Musee du paume or at Musée de l'Orangerie  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I love Paris  and it is very nostalgic city for me .. next time if I visit Paris I want see Nikola  Nikola uhiour
 https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Nikola+uhiour+calligrapher+in+paris&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
 Congrats on your progress !! ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 08:50:54 AM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 07:38:13 PM »

I read earlier that you hope to make a living out of calligraphy,..... You, ma'am, are going to be a busy, wealthy lady in years to come. That is 'fact' if ever there was one.

@Mark T thank you for your kind words! I'm aiming at a professional level, and teaching is my happy place. I'm hoping I can implement that in my life as a side job (I work part time), and keep it a "happy place" but also one where I grow and help others grow every year.

@Cyril Jayant I CANNOT wait to find out what your idea for next year's inktober is! Get your best paper ready!
Thank you for so much encouragement and those uplifting words. It doesn't matter if it takes me years to get there, it's the journey that matters!

And yes, Paris is lovely for art, and I haven't been enjoying it enough at all!

I have just looked into Nikola Ouchenir, amazing stuff he does!His Instagram is very fun to go through!
Oh crêpe!