Author Topic: Engraving?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Engraving?
« on: June 03, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »
Anyone else getting into free-hand engraving? Living 35 minutes from Paper & Ink Arts is not only delightful but dangerous for my wallet!  ;D When I was there last, I picked up InkMeThis’s engraving machine. It is so quiet! And so smooth. I had tried engraving a couple of times with an old drill my mom picked up at a yard sale. It was loud and bulky. But this new one works like a dream.

I am walking around the house finding things I can engrave. LOL! This is the soap dispenser for my studio sink room. I tried to come up with something clever to write on it but this is the best I could do. Ha ha!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
Only recently learned the term "engraving events" from a calligraphic Instagrammer ... who knew?  Looks incredibly fun and satisfying!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:28:34 PM »
Does your hand vibrate when engraving?  Also is it hard to write around curved surfaces?  I’ve thought about getting one, but I do not like any type of vibration… drives me crazy!  I’m afraid to invest in one, then not like to use it!
Teresa

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 06:57:40 PM »
@TeresaS - It does vibrate your hand slightly but not nearly what some of the older machines do, nor the drill engraver I was using. When I went to IAMPETH in 2014, someone was demonstrating an engraving machine. I tried it for two seconds and was like, “Nope!” Because it hurt my teeth. LOL. I couldn’t stand the vibration. But this one is extremely quiet and barely vibrates your hand. It has to because you are engraving into glass (or metal) but it is minimal. Maybe there is a calligrapher near you that would let you try it…
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 08:32:18 PM »
Thank you.  I think that is a good idea to try before I buy!  Coming from a rural area, I know of no calligraphers… pretty much a calligraphy desert!  But you never know when opportunity may come my way.  One of these years I would really like to make it to IAMPETH…maybe then!
Teresa

Offline Ashley K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »
This looks beautiful! I make… way too many mistakes to try my hand at engraving yet LOL, but I love looking at other people’s work. <3 Please keep sharing!

(Also so jealous you live so close to Paper & Ink Arts, wow!)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 12:58:32 PM »
Thanks @Ashley K ! I feel that! I see people engraving $500 and up bottles on Instagram (without pre-penciling anything) and I shiver! LOL!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 02:54:03 AM »
Hello there!
I wonder how the free hand engraving is going after about a year? Would love to see your progress :-*
I have INKMETHIS engraver in my list almost since I saw that calligraphy and engraving go so well together. Maybe I should get a christmas present this year.. ;D
Did you also do her classes about engraving? Has anyone hs done these?

Take care,
Despoina

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »
I haven’t taken the class (although any class through learncalligraphy.com is going to be a good one!). I also haven’t had much chance to practice so my engraving is still pretty rudimentary. I’ve only done two bottles since this one. My lines are shaky and the form is not great. But I’m sure if I practiced more and slowed down it would be better. My problem is I try to write like with a pen and you can’t do that. It has to be slow strokes.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 12:08:41 PM »
I haven’t taken the class (although any class through learncalligraphy.com is going to be a good one!). I also haven’t had much chance to practice so my engraving is still pretty rudimentary. I’ve only done two bottles since this one. My lines are shaky and the form is not great. But I’m sure if I practiced more and slowed down it would be better. My problem is I try to write like with a pen and you can’t do that. It has to be slow strokes.

It seems like an amazing try for sure! I am sure if you keep on working on it, your work will be stunning. Practice makes progress they say! :-*