Author Topic: What Script are you married to?  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
What Script are you married to?
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
What's up FF People?  I've been hard at work and can't say enough about how much I love
penmanship & calligraphy.  I have completed two years of rather devout studying and I feel
I am only getting close to starting up with the real good stuff.  After this time period I feel myself
gravitating towards putting most of my efforts into learning the absolute fundamentals of English Roundhand &
Engrosser's Script.  I have dabbled in many broad and pointed hands but none has given me as much
challenge and satisfaction than the aforementioned. 

Was wondering what all of your personal favorite script family is and why?

funny enough i decided to begin this thread because I am feeling slightly guilty and sort of missing
some of my favorite broad-edge scripts due to my study of ER & ES.  Does anyone ever feel like they
are neglecting old favorites?  lol....

Cheers!
Instagram : @danielmastrofski

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: What Script are you married to?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
Hi, Daniel!

I am married to Copperplate, but I've been dating Spencerian!  I've spent the past year studying Spencerian actively.  I have a hard time not making shades on the small letters, but I've quit using my beloved Brause EF66 & have switched to a stiffer nib & that has helped a lot!  Every once in awhile, I make myself practice Italic or Uncial, but I don't love the broad-edge stuff the way I love the pointed nib hands!  IF I ever conquer Spencerian, I'd like to move on to the Italian Hand.  @Ken Fraser has posted some beautiful examples of Italian Hand & I'd like to give it a try!

Thanks for posting!

Janis

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
I love this...I started with Copperplate, but left him for a shaded Spencerian. Although every now and then I put it on a diet and enjoy the finer lines. I keep saying I will study more broad pen, but I only have so much time for practice right now, and the pointed pen sucks me in every time I sit down to play
Star

ash0kgiri

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
Great thread Daniel. I been all over the place lately. Having multiple affairs. But still more dedicated towards Copperplate which I have lately started mixing lot of spencerian in my writing with touches of broad pen. I occasionally visit spencerian. So thats what my situation is. :D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
hahaha.  Married to one script and seeing a few on the side.    Tsk tsk tsk.   Lol.   ;D

Offline JostenD

• View Profile
    • Josten Dooley Design
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
Ive been in love with Batarde as of lately
Instagram.com/JostenDooley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
Ive been in love with Batarde as of lately

absolutely one of my favorite broad nib scripts!

Offline Ladyhawke

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57:13 AM »
Hi Daniel,

my favourite is - in first instance - pointed pen calligraphy.
(The change between hairlines and strokes and playing with these is my big love.)
So I started with Copperplate. But now... I also practice Spencerian too.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
∾Mahatma Gandhi∾

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Still new in the relationship, Copperplate is my favorite snuggle bunny, but I have been taking glances at Illuminated lettering  ::)
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline SarahParsons

• Freshman Member
  • www.calligraphywithlove.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy With Love UK
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 06:08:49 AM »
Hi! I'm married to copperplate but have been neglecting her lately, am flirting with modern, unicials and foundational hand.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
I enjoy writing all styles of lettering but once you can produce and accurately control shaded strokes with a pointed flexible nib, the effect is utterly and completely captivating and the letters seem to have a life of their own, appearing magically on the page.

Of the various styles I have a personal preference for the elegant and very beautiful English Roundhand of the 18th Century. My favourite is "Honour" by Willington Clark in "The Universal Penman" page 60. I know that this is a copperplate print, but it started out as incredible writing by a true master. I am very grateful to fellow calligrapher Mike Moore (AnasaziWrites)who gifted me a historic copy of this page and I have it framed on my wall above my drawing board.

Ken

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:34:00 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »
I enjoy writing all styles of lettering but once you can produce and accurately control shaded strokes with a pointed flexible nib, the effect is utterly and completely captivating and the letters seem to have a life of their own, appearing magically on the page.
Hear, hear.
More work to do before the magic appears for me. but ever the student, I will try.
Of the various styles I have a personal preference for the elegant and very beautiful English Roundhand of the 18th Century. My favourite is "Honour" by Willington Clark in "The Universal Penman" page 60. I know that this is a copperplate print, but it started out as incredible writing by a true master. I am very grateful to fellow calligrapher Mike Moore (AnasaziWrites)who gifted me a historic copy of this page and I have it framed on my wall above my drawing board.

Ken
It is one of the greatest pleasures of my poor attempts of becoming a worthy scribe to have gifted something to you that you appreciate. You have given me and all that have seen your beautiful work something to which aspire.
Your most humble and obedient servant,
with many thanks,
Michael J. Moore