Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 124478 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
I started off with the Hunt 101 and 103 when I learned spencerian and then copperplate in 1993. Then I scored a box of 100 vintage Hunt 56 nibs. Those nibs were a dream. Hardly any bad ones in the batch, they sailed across the page. I wish I had purchased all 4 of the boxes that were available then. But I couldn't possibly see myself going through 100 nibs. HA!

I could have used those boxes many times over. Now I use the newer nibs. My favorites are the Nikko G's for less bold, but sharp, smooth thicks and thins. If I want to do a little softer and bolder, I like the Hiro 41.

I recommend trying out a variety of nibs so you can find your favorites. These two nibs may not be your faves but they just sing for me. What are your faves?

NOTE: The Hiro 41 has had production problems recently. They seem to be better but take a little bit of wearing in.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:33:50 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
I quite like the Zebra G, and I think it's a popular one.  A little more flexible than the Nikko, but I'm a fan of that one too.

Though for me it's very sharp, I'm getting used to the Leonardt Principal extra-fine too.  Nothing at all like those smooth, sturdy G series nibs, but I'm starting to love it for the very expressive thicks.  I'm becoming a little less heavy-handed than I used to be...

Offline lisaridgely

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Ridgely Calligraphy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
I started pointed pen with the Nikko G and Zebra G, and I have tried many nibs since! I have a pretty varied collection, but the one that I love and use by far the most is the Brause 511. It just suits my touch and style so well!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »
Joy, I'm glad you said that... I found it the opposite with the Nikko and Zebra but maybe I mixed them up. I'll have to do a test again.

Lisa, I've never tried that one! I'm going to have to put it on my next order!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline lisaridgely

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Ridgely Calligraphy
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
When I've compared the Nikko G and Zebra G, what I've found (and I'm sure this could be personal to my hand) is that the Zebra is sharper/more pointed, so it gives finer lines, while the Nikko is slightly more square-cut. I think the Zebra is just a bit more flexible, but it does seem to me, though, that the Nikko is more elastic/"snappier"...it seems to give a sharper transition from thick to thin, which I think could be attributed to being more elastic, or maybe to the slightly squarer cut? They are both so nice and smooth, though...it's amazing how fine they are while still being so smooth-writing!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »
Great observations! You gave me an idea! I'll have to do a comparison sheet of different nibs and share it on the forum!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
:) I started with a Hunt 512, then a Nikko G. The Nikko G was fantastic, but I also ordered 9 new nibs from Paper Ink & Arts. Haha, I'm still trying all of them out, but so far I am LOVING the Brause 66EF and the Brause Rose. Both of them give nice thick lines, but are pretty forgiving on the upstrokes too. (I still need to work on being lighter-handed).

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
Hi Sherry!

I also enjoyed using the Brause 66EF! I always like trying new nibs and even going back to ones I used in the past. I find it adds a different dimension to my lettering. And for whatever reason at various points (get it), some nibs are my favorite and then it will switch.  I think it has more to do with my energy and the heaviness or lightness of my hand and the style at the time.

Keep us posted on the new ones you try and which ones you like.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Eileen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
I prefer the Zebra G to the Nikko as I find I have to exert so much more effort when using the Nikko G. I'm getting used to the Leonardt Principal as well, and Brause 66EF is a go-to, especially for copperplate. The best by far are vintage nibs which I really try to use for as long as I can before discarding as I hate to see my supply dwindle little by little. Hah.
Thanks for suggesting the Brause 511, Lisa, I will try that!
Eileen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I agree Eileen! I practically cried when I ran out of my last box of vintage Hunt 56s. I stopped using the Brause 66EF a few years back as it seemed like every single one I tried would skip. Perhaps I just had a bunch from a bad batch and I should try them again. Seems everyone really likes them.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline eddysarah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Where do you buy them at? Since Im totally new to this what should I look to spend?

Offline eddysarah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
Great observations! You gave me an idea! I'll have to do a comparison sheet of different nibs and share it on the forum!

I would appreciate something like that!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 11:57:42 PM »
Nibs can be bought from John Neal, Bookseller or Paper & Ink Arts. There are links in the resources board:
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

Vintage nibs can sometimes be found on Ebay.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »
My favourites so far are the Nikko G and the Brause EF66. I just started out and bought about 30 different nibs to try, since they aren't very expensive :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
my fav nibs right now are:
brause 66 ef
zebra G
hiro 41

i have tried a few of the Hunt nibs, the leonardt, a couple others and for whatever reason either i could not work past the nibs catching on the paper (Hunt 303,404) or couldn't get the ink to flow whatsoever (that one with the rose, i think it's a brause).