Author Topic: Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886  (Read 2268 times)

Offline mjgebhart

• Freshman Member
  • musician | calligraphy & penmanship enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • In Pursuit of Penmanship
Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
Every summer during an annual family trip to Maine, I stop at the giant Undercover Flea Market in Oxford, ME.

While browsing last summer I came across a ledger book with several beautiful samples of what I would call a Spencerian business hand. It's very compact, practical, and relatively "rapid," but the writer still took time to make some delicate shading and finely-formed capitals. I absolutely love the M in "Massachusetts."

It caught my eye immediately. From a paleographic point of view, I absolutely love seeing clearly identifiable scripts "in the wild." From a penman's point of view, it's just beautiful to look at.

Though most of the samples were not as fine as this, the book was not expensive and I still regret not buying it...

I'll be there in a week--maybe it will still be there!
Michael

Subscribe to my blog |In Pursuit of Penmanship

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Oh this is lovely! What a find! Thank you for sharing with us. I spent all of my summers in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. I call it home no matter where I am.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
That is a really neat M! They have an intriguing alternate 'e' as well. Very pleasing to the eye!
Star

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »
Very nice! I noticed that M right away before reading anyone's comments. Thanks for sharing! I've come across some beautiful penmanship in antique ledger books I bought; I will try and post some if I can find them again.