Author Topic: Hello from SoCal  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Dutch Platypus

• View Profile
Hello from SoCal
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:21 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I just want to introduce myself here for a moment. My name is Edwin van Doorn and I'm a Dutch dude living in SoCal. I've been playing with pens and paint my whole life and use that to offset my engineer brain a bit. Ever since I was about 15, have I been trying to learn script calligraphy but only recently (after a hiatus of about 15 years), have I found my way into Spencerian, Copperplate etc.. I recently discovered this forum and I look forward to learning from the amazing calligraphers here.

Best Regards,
Edwin

Offline evjo

• View Profile
Re: Hello from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »
Welcome, Edwin.  Have you joined one of the southern Cal calligraphy guilds yet?  I envy those of you who live where you can easily go to workshops or meet other pen people.  Are you interested in one script style more than another?
Ev

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
Welcome to Flourish Forum, Edwin!

Like Ev said, in SoCal we have two large calligraphy guilds: Society for Calligraphy (SfC) and San Diego Fellow Calligraphers (SDFC). Both are wonderful groups with warm and friendly people.

If you happen to be near Cal Poly Pomona this weekend, feel free to stop by Letters California Style, which is the mini-conference organized by the Society for Calligraphy. Info in the link above. :)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
Welcome, Edwin! 

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Edwin! Have you decided on Copperplate or Spencerian to start with? I would recommend when you're first starting to pick one and stick with it for awhile, copperplate and spencerian are hard to learn at the same time. Glad you found us here; there's a wealth of information here in the forum, with the loveliest people!