Author Topic: How Calligraphy Changed My Perspective of the World  (Read 7173 times)

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
How Calligraphy Changed My Perspective of the World
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
There was recently a thread in which a member was questioned on their intentions. This has been stuck in my head for a couple days now, so I thought I would share my experience with coming into penmanship and how it has changed me. My reason and hope for posting this is to maybe clear some normal world misconceptions of people to those new to the world of calligraphy.  This will probably be a long drawn out story so bear with me.  :)

Some Background on Me - I am 41 years old and from Indianapolis, IN. I am not the "norm" when it comes to thoughts, beliefs and the way the majority of the world works. I have worked all my life, I started at 8 by working in my grandfathers auto repair shop and worked every single school break, after school and vacation until I was 20. After that I went on to a couple different careers. I experienced the crazy busy workaholic life of traveling the country in a corporate world of a National Director position. I then opened my own music store and was open for several years until finding out my wife was pregnant with my now almost 5 year old son. When we found out we were having a kid we both decided it would be best for one of us to stay home with him and raise him instead of chucking him off to a babysitter for the majority of his waking hours. Because she had insurance and benefits it made more sense for me to close the store and stay home with the kids. A HUGE lifestyle change but in the end, so worth it. Income change was dramatic as well as the fact I had always worked liked 15 hours or more per day and then just starting to stay home was dramatic for me.

Pre-Calligraphy Perspective - I was raised primarily by my grandparents, as my mother always was working and father wasn't around. My grandparents "old school" beliefs were instilled in me and I credit them for who I am today. One of the largest shocks in going from their beliefs where the world operates on a handshake, everyone works hard for what they do, people are to be trusted and no one is out to do harm, was a rude awakening when I hit the real world. A large majority of the people in the modern world think they are "owed something" in my opinion. They think they need to make a huge salary, own the best home and car, and be successful with little or no work. They look for ways to sue anyone they can to accumulate more money they don't deserve. They expect everyone else to raise their children (schools, babysitters, TV, Computer, etc) and take no responsibility for them self or the problems the children develop, blaming it on anyone but them self and then suing whoever they can to "financially compensate" them for the heartache and distress. This is in fact how a large portion of the world is and what it has become. I had given up on people in general and most of my time was spent with family and a very few, select personal friends. A common thing I said was "I seriously hate 99.9% of people in the world" and chose to live my life and ignore the rest of the world except my very small group of intimate friends and family. I always lived in a small home most around 750 sq f, when the average home size where I live is 2500+ square feet. I've never had a new car and paid cash for everything in life. As my grandfather told me "If you have to finance anything other than a home in life, you're living too high on the hog"

Post Calligraphy Perspective - In the summer of 2012 I agreed to purchase our family ancestral home, land has been in my family since the 1830's and has always remained in the direct family, from my mother. It was getting to be too much work to take care of the home and grounds for her and she wanted to move to Daytona Beach. One of the tasks in her moving was to go through the family archive room or as we called it "The Little Room". This is a 8x12 room with 11ft ceilings full of well organized boxes of the family history and artifacts. In one of these boxes I discovered a bounty of Penmanship materials, examples and supplies from my Great Great Grandfather. I had NOO idea he was a penman, taught penmanship or anything related to it. After looking at the amazing penmanship from him and his colleagues I decided I wanted to learn to write like that!!! I sought out a local teacher and signed up for the first class in October of 2012 and have been hooked and absorbed since.

One of the things I did not expect to find in pursuing Penmanship, was a group of people who were genuine, courteous, and had many of my similar values and beliefs I was raised with. I was in awe.....you do something for someone you don't know and they take a huge chunk of their time to create a beautiful thank you!!! What the hell?!?!, people like this really still exist?!?!?!In a world where most people move at such a pace that taking a couple seconds to text you a message like "thnks 4 the hlp!" is considered the norm...(My help wasn't even worth a second to put the letter A in the word thanks?) The calligraphy world is full of people who value the time & effort people put into something as simple as handwriting and all the time not expecting anything in return. This is how it is for 99.9% of the community. There is always a bad apple in every crowd, but very few in this community. In my limited time in this world I have interacted with hundreds of calligraphers due to my making pens, from beginners which haven't ever even held a dip pen to Professional Calligraphers who address envelopes in the White House. One constant is they are all genuine and caring people and not the "norm" you find in the everyday world. Out of the hundreds of interactions I have had I can only recall two occurrences of individuals being devious, deceptive or the general type of "a&%-hole" you find in the modern world.

I still think a majority of the world are greedy, no-good, so and so's but the calligraphy world is not part of that group. I love my simpler life, where things move slower (you get more done in life by slowing down by making less mistakes!!), we make our own bread, we grow our own food, we sold the dishwasher and wash dishes by hand, we do work on our home ourselves, etc. I can't go out and buy the newest a coolest most expensive electronic toy at the drop of a hat like we used to when I owned my own business, but I wouldn't change a thing for anything in the world. Time and loved ones is all we have in this world and wasting it on material things is the biggest waste. I haven't always thought this but our choice to "downsize" our life was the best decision we could have ever made.

I am sure as those who are new or who may doubt the sincerity of others in this community will learn in time, but I encourage you to open your mind and heart to allowing the generous people of this community in, you will be surprised in what you find just as I have learned over the past couple years.

Sorry to go on and on but I wanted to share my opinions and thoughts to those which may doubt sincerity in this community. (Jumping off my soapbox) (I do tend to do that alot around here, lol)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: How Calligraphy Changed My Perspective of the World
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
That was beautiful, Chris. Thanks for sharing your story :)

And you're right, the calligraphy community is unlike any other i've ever been a part of. Some of the nicest, most giving and humble people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'm glad I found it.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. Calligraphers are some of the most generous and kind people I have ever met. Thank you for this, Chris.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Chris... I had a similar experience with blogging, there are some fantastic people out there... it's just a matter of letting them in.
Sx

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
thanks for sharing your wonderful story!

I have always been interested in what most would consider "old lady" crafts, like needlepoint, embroider, crochet.  Recently I stumbled across ravelry and the wonderful people there and discovered floor loom weaving! It has been a wonderful journey so far and I'm learning so much.

Its the same here. As soon as I joined I felt incredibly welcomed. I love learning new things (even if I can never master it) and seeing others share their passion. I feel like most people who work to master a craft are extremely passionate. They are so generous with their knowledge and generally want to share their passion with others.

I've learned to ignore the horrible people on the internet. I play video games so I've been exposed to my far share of toxic people but as us youngin's like to say #hatersgonnahate

I love the technology but I dream of one day moving back to Texas, owning some land, and having goats, chickens, dogs, cats, all the animals haha.
-an over enthusiastic newbie
http://instagram.com/tewshortforu

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
I just caught up with the other thread and thought I would expand on my experiences with my blogging community... in a nutshell, when I was going through a bad time several of my blogging chums sent me goodies to cheer me up... such as chocolates from Texas! And from Surrey. Through blogging I have made friends from all over the world... I've met people from Australia, and have good friends in Canada. Yes, there are dodgy characters... but best to take them with a pinch of salt and focus on the people whose company we enjoy.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
I think the meditative nature of calligraphy seeps into its practitioners and influences their character... this hobby requires us to take some alone time to ourselves, sit back, get our hands dirty with nib, ink and paint, stretch our brains creatively and to deal with mistakes, write and connect to each other (sure beats facebook and emails!), and most importantly to be very mindful when writing or else it will affect the final piece. As a Buddhist I find parallels in practicing calligraphy with meditation.. the drills we do before writing is like doing the chants before a meditation session to clear the mind, and the actual writing is a mindful practice where each movement is full of 'in-the-moment' attention.. and a finished artwork gives us a great sense of accomplishment which does wonders for the mind and soul.. no wonder we all get along so well, we know what a wonderful hobby we share, it's like a secret :)
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
Wow! So inspiring!

I am not a member of any calligraphy guild, except for this forum. And i am genuinely amazed at how helpful all of you are (even to my most mundane questions). So thank you thank you thank you. And i hope i get the chance to meet at least some of you guys someday.
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
I have to elaborate a little. A lot of times I take the safe answer or comment so as not to offend or shock people with my thoughts although what I'm about to say isn't shocking. So no one needs to sit down. Lol

I love people and always have. I love Seniors the most because of their knowledge and wisdom. Of course I have my limits with people especially mindless idiots. But I love hearing peoples stories and what not. I just feel (like another one of our members) that people have a story to tell. However I have in the last 6 years become completely disgusted with the state of our country and it's leaders from the local level all the way up. And I think because a series of events that happened in my life and the world around me I lost faith in humans. But since finding this forum a good chunk of that has been restored for me. I mean that with all of my heart! I'm restored in the sense that I know that goodness still lives. That selfishness doesn't prevail because I've seen it here from people all around the world. It amazes me everyday. I often pray that I can give and contribute the way you all have freely given and contributed to me. I think I have but I will always try harder. And I think most people on the forum feel the same because I see it in action everyday by other members. Erica created a awesome place for all of us to come together and help one another.  I'm honestly in awe of it everyday. Okay that's my 2 cents.

Alright enough of the gooey love stuff.  Let's talk about those jeans lol
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Chris. I agree with you, Schin, about the meditative qualities of calligraphy and how it forces you to slow down and clear your mind of distractions.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Group hug?  ;D

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Huge worldwide group hug! :) I, too, have been blown away by the sincerity and integrity of the group of people on this forum. It is so refreshing and special. Thank you for starting this thread Chris!
Star

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »
Even other hobby boards are not like the Forum. This board and the people here really are a blessing.

You're life-style sounds awesome, Chris. I'd like to live more like do you some day. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not a 'typical' modern American either. I spent part of my life in places outside the US where the students stood up when the teacher entered the class and no one under 18 ever called an adult by their first name.  :o  I've made my peace with society, though -- there are still many wonderful people if you look for them. The Forum is a great example.  :)

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
I love long good personal anecdotes esp when it comes to do authenticity, and self searching, people's real opinions etc! This is a golden post. If I could only encourage everyone here would give me their back stories on how they got into calligraphy, and how it changed their view of how they lived and thought about things I WOULD BE SO HAPPY (Like Del and all his email recollection of the past masters).

Pre-Calligraphy Perspective - A large majority of the people in the modern world think they are "owed something" in my opinion. They think they need to make a huge salary, own the best home and car, and be successful with little or no work. They look for ways to sue anyone they can to accumulate more money they don't deserve. They expect everyone else to raise their children (schools, babysitters, TV, Computer, etc) and take no responsibility for them self or the problems the children develop, blaming it on anyone but them self and then suing whoever they can to "financially compensate" them for the heartache and distress.

Post Calligraphy Perspective -
What the hell?!?!, people like this really still exist?!?!?!

I actually do know what you mean. I have that same angst (still do) about the 'entitlement mentality' most city people have, especially in the modern society of consumerism, most things that can be mass produced, people rarely stop to appreciate the things that take work and effort to produce. Or even things like nature! I could attempt to talk to a friend about how wonderful a spruce tree is, how Japanese people make their sharp knives, how lovely ornamental penmanship is but she won't hear a word of it. I especially dislike how people actually want to be similar to everyone else - in Singapore, it's quite common for many people to own the exact same phones, bags, hairstyles, shoes, jobs, goals in life.. games..shows to watch, hobbies, probably personalities... in a sense, practical and not very creative. As long as it's trending, you'll see a big group of 'similar looking people'. What's the good in that? Not to mention I always get the feeling you have to look out for yourself. The difficulty and cost of getting calligraphy supplies here also feels like a punishment to me, kind of like 'because you chose not to be mainstream, you have a higher price to pay, first with expensive stuff, difficult to get stuff, and you shall have no common interest friends.'

Calligraphy, documentary watching, self improvement book reading and isolation (cos famous words "I hate people" was somewhat my mantra.. Only my long suffering mother puts up with me for that haha!) taught me a great deal about appreciating the simple things, and hard work and discipline. The discipline of master penmen.. the discipline of japanese people.. taught me to quit complaining and just work hard till I get somewhere that I can be proud of.

Being from a very angsty background myself, I must say I'm still very uncomfortable with people's niceness. I don't expect and don't quite know what to do when people are kind to me. I still remember when I first found IAMPETH, and a huge collection of materials compiled by Dr Joe who must have contributed something like a thousand hours just working on, and the other master penmens who actually respond to people (never thought in a million years someone who reached something of a master 'celebrity' status would even respond much less personally!!!) shocks the hell out of me. This whole generosity taught me a lot of humility. LOL. What comes around should go around, so I try my best to be helpful and polite (I may let some sarcasm slip sometimes) when I post here but mainly I still can't quite believe nice people exist. I need more time to let this sink in.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:24:27 AM by Faeleia »

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
With all honesty, most of the time Im afraid to speak out here in flourish since I just started last january and im probably one of the youngest from this bunch. Though from time to time, I find the guts to start a thread and ask, comment on something Ive experienced before, or pass down wisdom/tips given by the people I consider my mentors. This community surprised me so much. Its beyond everything I ever expected. I joined the forum to learn more about the craft but in exchange I did not just learn but I met people who can whole-heartedly share what they know and moreover tgey guide you through and support your progress along the way no matter how little it was.

Ive met the most honest and down to earth people here. Even if its just online. I will forever be thankful for your acceptance and for being part of this community. Thank you for sharing this Kuya. And for sharing wisdom to us all.  :)
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila