Author Topic: Advice & Ideas Requested  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice & Ideas Requested
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »

Anyway, I have a box of 2552s that are more than adequate for low-level people like myself. Just need to get a holder from somewhere now.

One person on the forum broke her rule of not using vintage and wrote with 2552.  Her work will shatter any idea of 2552 as a low-level nib.  Plus 2552 is one of the favorites of Robert Hurford and that should be enough of an endorsement.

Tanvir
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:44:18 PM by Tanvir Ahmed »

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »
Empty-of-clouds, I'm in Australia, so I understand your frustrations. You can often get the Speedball obliques at local art shops here - it may be similar over there. You can also usually get Hunt 101s at reasonable prices.  There's a custom oblique pen maker in Melbourne, too - Luis Cheng - and you may find shipping more reasonable from here.

Also, have you spoken to the calligraphy societies in NZ? I know my Melbourne group generally places one bulk order from John Neal each year, giving everyone the chance to combine shipping in case they are only ordering one or two little things.  You may find something similar. There are some very active and talented calligraphers in NZ.

Also, there is a NZ-specific art store - Gordon Harris - that my NZ friends tell me has good calligraphy paper very cheap - might be worth checking them out.

It's a little harder for us isolated antipodeans - I know I'm constantly whinging about shipping, shipping times, and access to workshops - but that just means you've got to be a little bit more dedicated to make it work.  It's a long way from impossible. Don't sound so defeated.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
Empty of Clouds - I'm in the UK, but I still seem to buy most of my supplies from abroad, so I know what you mean about postage costs.  Even more annoying are the VAT/customs fees on anything over 15 bought from outside the EU, it can make buying goods from the US prohibitively expensive. 

Having said that, I have managed to acquire a good number of vintage nibs at good prices, almost exclusively via ebay, so it can be done.  However, I would stress that if you want to get the good buys, you can't do it half heartedly.  I spend a fairly significant amount of time each day scouring ebay, 95% of the time with no success.  And yes, as someone else pointed out, a lot of that time could probably be used a lot more constructively practising calligraphy, rather than chasing vintage nibs....

The one thing I did have trouble finding, and found prohibitively expensive to import was a half decent oblique holder....so I made my own.

So, there are ways.  You just have to decide how much time and effort you're prepared to put in.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
Plus 2552 is one of the favorites of Robert Hurford and that should be enough of an endorsement.

It would be if I knew who this gentleman was, but to my embarrassment I don't. Will Google later!

Empty-of-clouds, I'm in Australia, so I understand your frustrations. You can often get the Speedball obliques at local art shops here - it may be similar over there. You can also usually get Hunt 101s at reasonable prices.  There's a custom oblique pen maker in Melbourne, too - Luis Cheng - and you may find shipping more reasonable from here.

Also, have you spoken to the calligraphy societies in NZ? I know my Melbourne group generally places one bulk order from John Neal each year, giving everyone the chance to combine shipping in case they are only ordering one or two little things.  You may find something similar. There are some very active and talented calligraphers in NZ.

Also, there is a NZ-specific art store - Gordon Harris - that my NZ friends tell me has good calligraphy paper very cheap - might be worth checking them out.

I did have a Speedball. Threw it away ages ago. Hated using it. Worst $4 I've ever spent!  ::)

As for calligraphy societies here, well, I've never heard of any. I'm in a small city in the south. There may be something in Auckland I guess, but that's the other end of the country. No Gordon Harris here either (at least in this city).  With regard to paper, I'm happy to use Rhodia that I can get from the Warehouse in reams. Works fine for practice sheets.  Paper is not the issue. Holders, nibs and inks on the other hand are.

The one thing I did have trouble finding, and found prohibitively expensive to import was a half decent oblique holder....so I made my own.

You've clearly never seen me with a woodworking tool in my hand!  :-[

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:15 PM »

You've clearly never seen me with a woodworking tool in my hand!  :-[

Well, I'm a 40 year old female who had never used a power tool, woodworking tool, etc in my life before.  Except maybe a screwdriver.  I'm generally pretty scared of power tools so had kept well away from them for most of my life.  So if I can do it, anyone can.

You're definitely a glass half empty kind of guy, aren't you?!  lol

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
Just to clarify my earlier post. I never suggested there be a clique or closed network. Getting to a person you know is not hard in today's world and the identities of people who could recommend/vouch could be known to the general public - you just ask them if you know them, or see if anyone you know knows them.

Also, I do not support the idea of limiting use by ability. I see nothing wrong with a beginner wanting to try out a special nib. If anything, I think it might reduce the demand for them as more and more people realize having a dream nib doesn't magically improve their work :-)

Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
Oh, and going back to Chris's original question....I've had a good think and to be honest, if I were you Chris, I'd just sell them at whatever market price they're going for, and then put the money in a trust/college fund for my kids.  It's very nice of you trying to help people out with allowing them to buy the nibs at fair prices, but ultimately, it's your family you should be looking out for first, and who knows what circumstance may bring further down the line....

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
hmm...

Consider this, Melanie: You are basically suggesting that I spend the next several months acquiring materials and learning how to use a bunch of tools (which I will have to find money for too), in order to make a serviceable holder as well as a flange that will actually hold a nib.  I work full time.  I have no vehicle at the moment. I have a house and garden to maintain. One hour of every evening is spent on Skype with my partner who is having to work in another city (professional intern position), and who I only see in person for a couple of days every month or 6 weeks. 

For me time is somewhat limited. I can manage one or two hobbies but not many all together.

Reality, not pessimism.

Perhaps I am just not driven enough. Is that it?

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »
Just to clarify my earlier post. I never suggested there be a clique or closed network. Getting to a person you know is not hard in today's world and the identities of people who could recommend/vouch could be known to the general public - you just ask them if you know them, or see if anyone you know knows them.

I don't know anybody. Who would you suggest?

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
Trust me when I say I'm not in any cliques or secret groups, lol. I more often rub the cliques the wrong way instead of being part.

Ah, that's good then. I worked at a university once and I saw people and cliques fight long and bitterly over distribution of the electronic cards that gave unlimited use of the photocopiers. They fought over so many other things besides, and ever since then I've been wary of cliques and in-groups &c.

There is one thing I'm very curious about though and I'd like to ask you a question, since you have a lot of them: are any of the principalities you have fine or medium, as opposed to E.F? The reason I ask is, I've seen an advert, for Principalities, from 1849:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OX0BAAAAYAAJ&dq=gillott%20principality&pg=PA244#v=onepage&q&f=false

Where fine and medium pointed ones are mentioned as well as the extra fine, and I wonder if they stopped making F and M ones at some point, or if that advert is for a different pen with the same name, though given that it mentions the great elasticity of the pen.

Quote from: melanie jane link=topic=4485.msg57564#msg57564 date=145748+2435
I think it's also worth mentioning that not everyone who is selling these 'dream' nibs at high prices are necessarily money grabbing so and sos.  People have to make a living, and if you had several gross of dream nibs with no other source of income, what would you do?

Well, I don't know of anyone in that situation, but If I was think I'd look for more sustainable source of income because I think that the vintage dip pen bubble will burst, and also depending on the persons circumstances he or she might just be delaying the inevitable e.g being unable to make mortgage payments due to interest rate rises, scrabbling around with selling possessions &c. might only buy a few more months before defaulting. I've seen that happen.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »

I don't know anybody. Who would you suggest?

How would I know? Can you not make friends?

S.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:36:40 PM by SMK »
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »

Anyway, I have a box of 2552s that are more than adequate for low-level people like myself. Just need to get a holder from somewhere now.

I love the Blanzy 2552, it's one of the workhorse nibs in my business, and I know a lot of other professional calligraphers that also love this nib and use it in their work, on the daily.  I don't feel that nibs are for "low-level" or mid level or professional or Master Penman.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:51:09 PM by joi »

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »

Yes, I can make friends. The point was that there doesn't appear to be anyone here who has this as a hobby. I thought you were talking about the international community.

Just did a search and found that there is a "Society" in Auckland. That's just over 1000 kilometres away, and would require an airflight. Not very practical.

Edit:

Ah, that's good then. I worked at a university once and I saw people and cliques fight long and bitterly over distribution of the electronic cards that gave unlimited use of the photocopiers. They fought over so many other things besides, and ever since then I've been wary of cliques and in-groups &c.

I work for a University, and I stay firmly out of anything political, cliquey or similar.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:57:00 PM by Empty_of_Clouds »

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »

Yes, I can make friends. The point was that there doesn't appear to be anyone here who has this as a hobby. I thought you were talking about the international community.

Just did a search and found that there is a "Society" in Auckland. That's just over 1000 kilometres away, and would require an airflight. Not very practical.

I don't think it has to be in person....you can be friends with people online too....

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
hmm...

Consider this, Melanie: You are basically suggesting that I spend the next several months acquiring materials and learning how to use a bunch of tools (which I will have to find money for too), in order to make a serviceable holder as well as a flange that will actually hold a nib.  I work full time.  I have no vehicle at the moment. I have a house and garden to maintain. One hour of every evening is spent on Skype with my partner who is having to work in another city (professional intern position), and who I only see in person for a couple of days every month or 6 weeks. 

For me time is somewhat limited. I can manage one or two hobbies but not many all together.

Reality, not pessimism.

Perhaps I am just not driven enough. Is that it?

No, I wasn't suggesting that.  I was suggesting you get a bit of wood, a knife and some sandpaper and experiment a bit.  It's for yourself, it doesn't have to be perfect.  I'm sure someone (myself included) would have been kind enough to post you some brass for the flange.