Author Topic: Vintage Spanish Little treasures  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Vintage Spanish Little treasures
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
I know it is not the best time to post about new vintage nibs to try, but I promise they were cheap  ;D As some other european members of the forum have said, I only buy vintage nibs that are actually cheaper than modern ones. And, here is Spain there are not so many moderns nibs available, and shipping costs from America... well, you know. It is quite easy to find here some boxes of french or italian vintage nibs at reasonable prices.

Well, these days, I have some sort of "patriotic nostalgia" or whatever you want to call it. You know I am here quite alone on the calligraphic matters, and there is so much info here about tools and materials but mostly american. I am quite curious about what tools were used here. By the way I love Valliciergo's examplar that has been told in this other post ).

I never met my great grandfather, but I have seen documents written by him that my grandfather ketp very carefully. He had an interesting penmanship, and I am sure he loved to write. I remember seeing as a child a document with the story of the family. He kept a paper with notes about new borns, weddings, deaths... and it was very interesting to see how each note was done in diferent ink and even the penmanship was changing over time. I also have a beautiful metal inkwell from him, that my grandfather was very proud to give my mother some time ago when she used it to make some illustrations with his old pens. I just have this few items and some stories here and there about how they wrote on those ages. My father used ink and nibs at school when he was a child, but he does not remember so much. So I have been searching and asking him for some info, about what kind of ink they used, what nibs, etc.

I found some items on an spanish auction site and bought it just as curiosities (although I plan on using the nibs!) because they were cheap. Today they came in the mail and I showed them to my father. He automatically were "yesss!!! that was it!!!" and started talking about how the teacher made their ink but did not fill completely their inkwells because they were naughty boys and always ended up covering everithing in ink when the inkwell fell from their desks, and that sort of funny stories. So here you have what I did find:

Some sort of powdered ink. It was meant to mix with water and each packet had just the exact quantity for an inkwell (don't know exactly what quantity that is...). There were several colors. I have blue and violet. My father told me at school they mostly used blue.

A box of Competidora nº 702 Extra Fine nibs. The box says 100 units, but it came with 33. Interesting thing: the nibs have no inscription, but they match the model illustrated on the box. They look exactly as a Perry and co 120EF.

A box of Imsa Perfecta nº 19 nibs. This box says 100 units, but it came with 102 nibs inside. It also says that they are from Barcelona and were made by Industrias Metalicas SA from high quality steel.

If any of you have any more info about spanish materials it would be much apreciated. And also, if any of you are curious to try this nibs I don't mind sharing some for your personal collections  ;)

Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Vintage Spanish Little treasures
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
Fantastic!  I LOVE vintage European nibs!  There seem to have be a lot of that 'Crown' Perry 120 style nib made in Europe, especially Italy, so it's interesting to see that Spain was making them too. Those other, pointy ones, look to be copies of the Perry 28, a lovely nib, but hard to come by.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »
Very interesting. Especially the long beak pens with the hole. Those seem to have been popular in Italy too. I wonder if they were most popular on the continent but little used in Britain or North America. The ink powder is also very interesting since I wonder how good powdered ink is for calligraphy, since having ink in powdered form to make up does seem very practical.

Also, I happen to be trimming my collection and I have some Spanish calligraphy books from 1944, and I don't know any Spanish so I think the books might be better off with someone who knows Spanish: Inked Botanicals, would you be interested in them? Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/7cwZToQ.jpg

Send me a PM if you want me to post them to you. I'd be happy to do so, in exchange for you making a post giving a bit of information about the books after you've looked at them, since with  me not speaking Spanish I don't really know what they're about except that they're about calligraphy.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
Fantastic!  I LOVE vintage European nibs!  There seem to have be a lot of that 'Crown' Perry 120 style nib made in Europe, especially Italy, so it's interesting to see that Spain was making them too. Those other, pointy ones, look to be copies of the Perry 28, a lovely nib, but hard to come by.

Interesting!! I did not know of the Perry 28, thanks.
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »
The ink powder is also very interesting since I wonder how good powdered ink is for calligraphy, since having ink in powdered form to make up does seem very practical.

It really seems practical, and that is what the manufactures were telling as their selling argument. It looks a bit like walnut crystals, and I love them because of that very practical issue. Having coloured inks in that same form would be awesome!

My father told me his teacher had a big bag of powder and he made fresh ink for the students when they needed it. And that was all they used for writing. Unfortunately, my little bags seem to be quite harddened more than powder, I think they must have gotten moisted or something during all this time. They are in little paper bags, and we are not in a very dry climate. I will keep on searching, and if I get my hand on a bag that looks ok I will try and mix it with water to see how it performs. I am curious to know too.

Also, I sent you that DM about your books  ;)
Alba.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »
Maybe try mixing the ink with boiling water and see if dissolves the 'block'?
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
That's interesting: somebody wrote me a letter with powdered ink not so long ago.  Of course now I've said that there's no chance of finding it in a hurry, but from memory the ink was a new venture from someone in the fountain pen community, although possibly not available commercially yet.  It was rather a nice indigo blue.  Aniline dye with something to add body and tweak the flow characteristics, presumably.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing!! Wonderful story and finds, Alba :).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
... if any of you are curious to try this nibs I don't mind sharing some for your personal collections  ;)

A mi me encantaria probarlos, si no es mucha molestia. ;)

Also, I happen to be trimming my collection and I have some Spanish calligraphy books from 1944, and I don't know any Spanish so I think the books might be better off with someone who knows Spanish: Inked Botanicals, would you be interested in them? Picture:

Send me a PM if you want me to post them to you. I'd be happy to do so, in exchange for you making a post giving a bit of information about the books after you've looked at them, since with  me not speaking Spanish I don't really know what they're about except that they're about calligraphy.

Very interesting. I haven't come across any calligraphy books in Spanish. Alba, looking forward to your review on these books! ;)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
... if any of you are curious to try this nibs I don't mind sharing some for your personal collections  ;)

Very interesting. I haven't come across any calligraphy books in Spanish. Alba, looking forward to your review on these books! ;)
While looking for original copies of Valliciergo's work, mentioned in another thread recently, I came across this site, which you might find interesting. As a side note, they do have some of his original work for sale, which I considered buying, but at 100 Euros, it is a bit outside of my budget at the moment.
I'll put this link in the links thread as well for you.
http://www.uniliber.com/titulo/METODO%20DE%20CALIGRAFIA/?p=1

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
While looking for original copies of Valliciergo's work, mentioned in another thread recently, I came across this site, which you might find interesting. As a side note, they do have some of his original work for sale, which I considered buying, but at 100 Euros, it is a bit outside of my budget at the moment.

I actually have the Valliciergo links open in different tabs right now! I haven't gone through them just yet...
That's an interesting link you shared, thanks! Probably best suited for Alba since it's in Spain and so is she.
I'm in California, USA. I'll just glance at them from afar...  ;)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »

Thank you! I will add it to my list of places where I can throw them money and be happy with whatever they give me in return!  ;D
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 01:41:50 PM »

A mi me encantaria probarlos, si no es mucha molestia

Estrella, I'll send you some in my next letter!  ;)
Alba.

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
Estrella, I'll send you some in my next letter!  ;)

You are the best!!!! Thank you!  ;)