Author Topic: Yoke Pen Restoration of Zanerian Fine Art Pen Holder  (Read 1124 times)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
Yoke Pen Restoration of Zanerian Fine Art Pen Holder
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
I'm stoked! My battered, broken and beat up Zanerian Fine Art pen holder is now fully restored, with ink marks and history saved. I wanted to share the beautiful results  and a bit of the history. This pen belonged to my grandfather, who was a penman in the early 1900's. When he died, my family cleared out his house, and knowing nothing about pens, threw out all his pens, nibs and ephemera. I saved this pen from the trash, because I thought it was so pretty, and put it in my hope chest. I was still in my pre-teens, and didn't know I'd one day grow up to be a broad pen calligrapher, and late in life, take up learning the pointed pen.

The pen holder kicked around in my pen box, full of $2.00 pen holders and junk, for 40 years, until I found it this year and decided to put it to use. I loved how it felt in my hand, but the flange was sloppy, the tail was broken off and the finial missing. I had no idea of its value, and still thought it was "pretty," and a nice link to my family history.

When I found out that it was a coveted pen, and held in high regard, I posted here in the forum to see if anyone knew of a pen smith who might be interested in restoring it. Forum member Anasazi recommended Yoke Pen Company, and I wrote Christopher Yoke the next day.

Christopher was so gracious and agreed to do the restoration. Once he received it, he decided how to approach it. Rather than make it "look new," he wanted to preserve the history by leaving the wear and ink stains on the pen holder, but cleaning it up, lightly coating the pen, replacing the finial and broken part of the shaft and repairing the flange.

He said he really enjoyed working on this family heirloom, and he made a video on Instagram of how he repaired and restored it, step by step. It's fascinating to see how he used the rosewood dust to fill in the cracks, and fitted the pieces together. You cannot even tell it was ever damaged now! It just looks loved and well used. It's a beautiful, phenomenal restoration, honoring the integrity of the original pen and it's first owner.

I couldn't be more thrilled!

Here's the link to Christopher's video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoNd37pDmQP

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Re: Yoke Pen Restoration of Zanerian Fine Art Pen Holder
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
That is a beautiful restoration, Christopher is a true Artisan.

I hope you bestow it with many years of added memories.

Darrin
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »
Darrin, Thank you! I totally agree that Christopher is a true artisan. And you can be sure I’ll treat this pen holder with the loving respect it deserves. Thanks for responding!

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I love seeing stories like this. You will be able to attach this story to the pen and hopefully pass it forward to future generations.

I am glad someone suggested Mr. Yoke. Not only is he a master artisan of pen making, and restoration, but he values the history of these pens and cares about the customer/owner.

A very nice sharing and a joy to read.
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
It's a beautiful, phenomenal restoration, honoring the integrity of the original pen and it's first owner.

I couldn't be more thrilled!

I'm so very happy to hear this.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
What a wonderful story! A beautiful restoration and a piece of history preserved.  Thank you for sharing with us.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
Thank you for sharing this story! Chris contributes so much to this community. What a beautiful heirloom to have and use.

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »
I love that you rescued this pen holder. Christopher did amazing work.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and remarks. It was a great treat to do this restoration. Sorry I don't get over here as much as I used to  :-\

Chris Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com