Author Topic: Addressing Christmas Envelopes  (Read 783 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Addressing Christmas Envelopes
« on: November 26, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »
Technology has come a long way from 1993 when I addressed my Christmas envelopes using a light box I made myself. No LED's back then, so I used fluorescent tubes for the light source. That thing must have been 8 inches thick, but worked pretty well. I'm toying with using this script for this year's envelopes, but time may rule that out, as each one took me a half hour or so back then, and I'm probably not any faster now. Then, I had less than a dozen to do, now more than a hundred. Anyone else using broad pen to address their holiday offerings?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Addressing Christmas Envelopes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »
Love this! What a great portrait. I had a similar lightbox but not nearly as tall. My very first lightbox I fashioned out of a wooden carrying case which had slot in it for palettes. I had a piece of frosted glass cut to size and also used a fluorescent light underneath. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to use but it did the trick and it was portable and could fold up and be put away when not in use.

Beautiful envelopes! Those envelopes will take a long time! What if you used the script for their name and then a simple script for the address?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:18:21 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - I'm using broad edge for my cards!  It goes much faster with a fountain pen -- the Pilot Parallel pens are especially speedy, because you can use the corners to put in the hairlines and other details and ornaments.  You can also squirt fancy, colorful fountain pen ink into a spent cartridge for a festive touch.  Prepping the envelopes with matte spray (or hairspray in a pinch) will help show off the special shimmer/sheen/shading properties of the ink too.

@Erica McPhee has a great suggestion about using a quicker/simpler script for the addresses - USPS also prefers a simple Roman capital script, which makes it less likely your beautiful envelopes will end up back in your own mailbox marked "undeliverable".

My own light-box is an ancient vintage drafting & photo layout table - ready made for the purpose - that my university's art department decommissioned a couple decades ago to make room for more high-tech equipment.

--yours truly, K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
Love the parallel pens! I have never been brave enough to put the ink in directly without a cartridge though. I will have to add that to my calligraphy bucket list.  ;D
I am jealous of your table. Sounds fabulous!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 08:55:42 AM »
Love the parallel pens! I have never been brave enough to put the ink in directly without a cartridge though. I will have to add that to my calligraphy bucket list.  ;D
I am jealous of your table. Sounds fabulous!

Be careful filling your pens directly with ink, known as eye dropper filling. While it is a great way to get a ton of ink into your pen, it does have its risks. Usually the threads on an eyed droppered  pen get just a dab of silicone grease to ensure the ink does not leak through them. Some fountain pens are actually made to be eyedroppered. There is also the risk of staining your favourite pen.

I think what K is referring to to is cartridge refilling. It is another common way to play with inks. A used cartridge is flushed out completely. Then, using a small syringe, new ink is put into the cartridge. It’s a great way to make use of colours that aren’t normally available in your choice of colour. Some people actually refill a number of cartridges at a time, and seal them with a tiny, tiny drop of hot melt glue. That way you can travel with your ink collection as well. Just remember to peel the hot glue off before sticking it in your pen.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 04:34:33 PM »
Nice writing and love the Custom made light box.

I am also thinking to design a light box similar  to this too. Beautiful  writing and cards !!!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »
Oh thank you Darrin! I missed that part about the spent cartridge. That makes sense!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram