Author Topic: waterproof black ink  (Read 7374 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: waterproof black ink
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
Well, I hope it works!! Mine never really dried, but that's whet they also say somewhere in the product description. Also if you want to speed it up, they say to crush the dry bits in pieces ;D. I'm curious how it goes!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 07:16:26 PM »
AndyT: I don't want to trouble you, but it would be fantastic to try!

No trouble, it would be interesting to hear what you think.

Oh, and by the way, I've just seen the painted penholders on your blog: they're simply wonderful.   :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:22:25 PM by AndyT »

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I really need to try zillers. I would like something waterproof for envelope jobs.

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 06:03:01 AM »
Hi just wanted to chime in on this thread for those searching for waterproof black ink. 

EricP has suggested in a few threads that Koh-I-Noor drawing ink is waterproof so I bought a bottle to try and I'm so pleased I did!

I've attached a pic for reference and to see the ink in action, I gave it a good spritz of water which you can just see has moved the watercolour but not the ink.

I used it straight from the bottle and waited probably less than 10 mins for the ink to dry before wetting it.

The only drawback is that the bottle is tiny, only 20ml I haven't yet done any research to see if it comes in bigger sizes, it definitely comes in other colours though.

Thanks for the recommendation Eric!  :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:06:53 AM by NikkiB »
Nikki x

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
EricP has suggested in a few threads that Koh-I-Noor drawing ink is waterproof so I bought a bottle to try and I'm so pleased I did!

The only drawback is that the bottle is tiny, only 20ml I haven't yet done any research to see if it comes in bigger sizes, it definitely comes in other colours though.

Thanks for the recommendation Eric!  :)
My pleasure.
You should find that the ink has a little sheen to it.  One drawback to the Kohinoor is that you have to get your stroke right the first time, because of that sheen any corrections may actually become a bit obvious.

Nikki, please let me know how you find that product as you get familiar with it.

What is actually ironic is that I don't own Kohinoor black... but I should.  In fact until two days ago, I did not own any black ink, let alone any waterproof black.

In my latest PIA order though, I got the very nice Kuretake sumi ink
http://www.paperinkarts.com/kursum.html

It flows very well with many of my nibs, but it is definitely NOT waterproof, contrary to what it says on the container:  "Waterproof after it has dried."

No.   >:(

;)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
In my latest PIA order though, I got the very nice Kuretake sumi ink
http://www.paperinkarts.com/kursum.html

It flows very well with many of my nibs, but it is definitely NOT waterproof, contrary to what it says on the container:  "Waterproof after it has dried."

No.   >:(

;)

Ha Ha, I got exactly the same Kuretake ink for the same reason...at found it exactly as unwaterproof as you describe  ;D which is when I searched here for a better alternative!

moral of the story: Check with FF before you buy, lol!
Nikki x

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
Ha Ha, I got exactly the same Kuretake ink for the same reason...at found it exactly as unwaterproof as you describe  ;D which is when I searched here for a better alternative!

moral of the story: Check with FF before you buy, lol!
Ha ha!
Actually I do remember your post.   I just needed some sumi ink, in my case not necessarily waterproof.   I wanted Moon Palace Sumi but I couldn't get my hands on that (it's not waterproof either, but only available at John Neal) so I went for the Kuretake.  It's actually good!  And a nice smell too  :P

Actually I was surprised that Kuretake claims to be waterproof, on the container.  That is so ridiculous!

Offline plumes métalliques

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 01:03:07 AM »
Thank you for sharing your result with Koh-i-Noor drawing ink, I see I have to get my hands on a bottle.
I'm on a hunt for the perfect waterproof black ink myself so I am trying everything I can get my hands on  ;).
(I would love to find an ink that can be used in fountain pens too, I love Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi and R+K Leipziger Schwarz but sadly they are not waterproof. I have heard the Higgins Calligraphy Ink can be used in fps? I want to try some of the waterproof Noodler's inks too.)
For dip pens I am currently using the R+K Antique Drawing Ink - I wouldn't recommend it, it's a fickle ink, very watery, clings to everything, yet it is not waterproof....

I received a bottle of rotring drawing ink yesterday (23ml - they are all that small), I have read&seen contradicting things about it's waterproofness online so I am waiting a full 48 hours before trying to smudge it with water... I am not expecting anything, I initially got it because I have heard that the bottles are great way to transport ink "on the go".

Anyway, I have found this link which shows the waterproofness of some other, maybe lesser known inks (some of these might be easier to get in Europe, sorry) which I found very interesting and hope some of you may find too:

http://blog.ywana.fr/2015/03/26/lencre-de-chine-tests-qualitatifs/
First blotch is pure ink, second is waterproofness after drying overnight, third is an ink wash.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
Anyway, I have found this link which shows the waterproofness of some other, maybe lesser known inks (some of these might be easier to get in Europe, sorry) which I found very interesting and hope some of you may find too:

http://blog.ywana.fr/2015/03/26/lencre-de-chine-tests-qualitatifs/
First blotch is pure ink, second is waterproofness after drying overnight, third is an ink wash.
Très bon lien merci!
For those who don't want to bother with Google translate to French, at the bottom of the page the author suggests the three 'waterproofest' inks, it would be interesting to confirm these findings.

Regarding the Kohinoor drawing ink, I would like to say for the record  :) that although it works as a waterproof ink, I am not in love with the thing.  It does have its limitations.   I would prefer a nice flowing ink like sumi but I haven't found this magical thing yet.  And perhaps it does not exist.

In the meantime, let's see if we can give these a whirl:  Nan-King (Lefranc Bourgeois), Sennelier pagoda ink, and this weird Corector ink.

Offline StephHintze

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I really need to try zillers. I would like something waterproof for envelope jobs.
Hi Elsa, I know this post is old but I am on the hunt for black waterproof ink and I was wondering if you ever found one you like? Zillers?

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »
Never did find a good waterproof black ink I love. I never bought the Zillers because I have a terrible time with acrylic inks and sloppy transitions from shade to hairline. Zillers is not terribly cheap, so I've been reluctant to try it. I did just buy a bottle of Walker's copperplate ink (iron gall, sold in the UK) and it's just completely dreamy! I have not tested it for water resistance just yet. I'll test it when I get some time and let you know.

For envelopes I've just given up on artist quality results that are waterproof. I use Moon Palace Sumi ink or kaimei carbon ink for black ink jobs. Both say "waterproof when dry" both are lying!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »
Holbein makes Acryla Gouache which has just enough acrylic in it to make it nearly waterproof but it still maintains most of the qualities of gouache. The hairlines are quite nice. You do have to be comfortable mixing it out of the tube - but it has been recommended in previous threads and several people have reported back that it solves their problems.

Most colors (including black) are pretty water proof. A few of them will smear just a tiny bit when put under a lot of pressure. They are also very friendly with some of the problem papers, specifically Crane's Lettra. They come in so many colors that it is an easy way to find an ink that will work for clients who want you to match the ink on their invitation.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
I only have one tube of Holbein gouache (opera) which is perhaps not a good sample size, but it gives me trouble with sloppy transitions from shade to hairline unless it's diluted so much as to no longer be sufficiently opaque. I'm generally comfortable mixing gouache, but this one hadn't given me great results, so I have not wanted to shell out any more money to try their other colors.

Offline Ceci_K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
Hi, I'm a beginner & the only sumi ink I have is Moon Palace. I use it diluted w some water. I've found it to be waterproof. I've been using it to practice calligraphy on Rhodia, Borden & Riley 100% comp, various bristol, & watercolor paper. I also use it in an old Rapidograph technical pen for sketching before painting w watercolors. I've not had it bleed or smear during painting over it. Think I got it either from Paper Ink Arts or JetPen.

Correction: Since one of the advanced members said that she found Moon Palace to be not waterproof, I went back to check & I found it to be true on Rhodia & other smooth papers, but still waterproof on textured paper like cold press watercolor paper. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:30:02 PM by Ceci_K »

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
Correction: Since one of the advanced members said that she found Moon Palace to be not waterproof, I went back to check & I found it to be true on Rhodia & other smooth papers, but still waterproof on textured paper like cold press watercolor paper. I hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing that.  I use another brand of sumi which is not 100% waterproof on watercolor paper, so I guess I should order the Moon Palace and try as you suggest.

Question:  do you use a pencil on your watercolor paper (which you need to erase after the sumi ink has dried out)?   The brand of sumi I use does not like being erased...