Author Topic: With nib or brush?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Ensemble88

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
With nib or brush?
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:57 AM »
I've been looking at the Secrets of Madarasz book and I found these two examples. I just can't wrap my head around how he's making these strokes with a pointed pen. The strokes are so thick on the "Zanerian" example, and the sharp corner at the bottom of the "S" in the "Shakespeare" and the tip of the "r" have me confounded. Are these really done with a nib? or is it brush work? What's the trick to making script like this?

I've only learned Spencerian from Michael Sull's book. I haven't really done much beyond that and I'm just starting to get my feet wet with some of these more ornate looking styles. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: With nib or brush?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
These are beautiful exemplars that I have not seen in a while. I think they were done with a pointed nib, but the shades were re-touched after to look as distinct as they are.
Star

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »
If you are a member of IAMPETH, their latest journal just came out where they talk all about this. There is even a sample that shows how he out lined all the shades before filling them in.

Offline Ensemble88

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:03:44 PM »
Thank you I will definitely check that out!! :D