Author Topic: Tonight's practice piece  (Read 980 times)

Offline ShawnHoefer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Tonight's practice piece
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »
No name oblique holder with Brause Steno nib, Speedball Purple ink, Bienfang Graphic 360 100% rag translucent marker paper, playing at using the Zanerian Manual as an exemplar.

Thoughts? Critiques? Can you even see it (I've not uploaded to this forum before, so might not have done it properly)?

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Tonight's practice piece
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
Hi Shawn!

Might I suggest that you use guidesheets with the diagonal lines to help you maintain a consistent letter slant? 

I noticed on your lowercase "a" that you made a "c" shape first; these are constructed of a full oval plus an underturn, which I suspect you probably already know. ;) It is important that these strokes are followed through completely if you want to make consistent and accurate letterforms.

Are you practicing your letters in groups of similarly forms?  ex: a, d, g, q.  That can be quite helpful.

Also, it helps to take photos of your work directly overhead vs. at an angle when you're seeking critique - it helps the viewer better assess your letterforms. 

I saw on another post that you're having trouble with your ink blobbing.  I'll try to find a post on that, since other members have asked about similar issues before.  You're not alone!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing your practice @ShawnHoefer ! Great feedback from Bianca.

I would also say to remember that calligraphy is written in strokes, not written like handwriting. Each letter is made from basic strokes.

But you are off to an excellent start! Keep practicing and we look forward to seeing your progress.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ngaire_W

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 02:01:11 AM »
The others have good advice. Your script is a little wobbly of course, but I really like it, nice shape!