Sharing and Caring Exchanges > 2024 Exchanges

An Important Message About Exchanges

(1/4) > >>

Erica McPhee:
I’m sad to say the Love Letters Exchange will be the last formal exchange scheduled for Flourish. I won’t say it’s the last one we will ever do but after 10 years, and dwindling participation, I’ve decided it’s time to focus on other ways to exchange. This doesn’t mean we won’t ever have another exchange, just nothing scheduled as we have in years past.

There are a few exchanges happening in the calligraphy community that have very large participation. I would suggest checking out the following. Please comment if you know of others that are open to anyone. I know Halloween is an absolute favorite and the one mentioned below looks like a lot of fun.

Halloween exchange:

Blackinkletters - hosted by @inkmothcreative @blacktulipcreativestudio & @letterbcalligraphy on Instagram.
RSVP by September 25th
Black Tulip Sign Ups

IAMPETH hosts an annual exchange for its members: IAMPETH

LearnCalligraphy hosts an exchange typically for those who take their classes (which are great) but last year they opened one up to everyone.

Art Cover Exchange hosts some art exchanges and promotes friendly snail mail.

Cyberscribes 2024 Annual Year Long Exchange

I will always treasure the hundreds of envelopes I have received over the years!  :-* And I am very grateful to all of you who participated and made each exchange such a success!

AnasaziWrites:

--- Quote from: Erica McPhee on January 06, 2024, 12:48:18 PM ---I’m sad to say the Love Letters Exchange will be the last formal exchange scheduled for Flourish. I won’t say it’s the last one we will ever do but after 10 years, and dwindling participation, I’ve decided it’s time to focus on other ways to exchange. This doesn’t mean we won’t ever have another exchange, just nothing scheduled as we have in years past.

I will always treasure the hundreds of envelopes I have received over the years!  :-* And I am very grateful to all of you who participated and made each exchange such a success!

--- End quote ---

I would like to encourage everyone who reads this post--the lurkers who are not members of FF, the members who have never posted here, those who have never participated in an exchange, those who haven't posted in a long time--to  participate in this letter exchange.

Over time, websites and activities they sponsor wax and wane in popularity, this site and activity no exception. There are more "efficient" ways to share your work with others with online sites like Instagram and such, but sending someone a physical piece of your work, to savor and save for as long as they want, is so much superior, made unique by the name you put on the envelope, a little piece of their time, their life, they gave just to you. Such a gift.

And don't believe that "I'm not good enough yet--I'll try this when I'm better at it." That thought occurred to me when I joined FF in May of 2014, but I participated in my first exchange (of more than 60 on FF since) anyway in June of 2014--the Independence Day exchange--despite misgivings it wasn't very good. I sent 36 letters, 16 of which were to outside the country, and received back a beautiful tranche of letters from around the world. Such fun. A few exchanges later was my first Valentines Day exchange in Feb, 2015, my favorite exchange year after year. And the replies came in--from here to Singapore, to The Phillippines, to Italy, to Canada, to Germany. And now, like Erica, nearly 10 years later, I have this amazing collection of letters from around the world to enjoy. For some, it was a one time thing, others I was able to see them progress from beginners to high level professionals, some of whom even teach. It's been wonderful to see.

So do join us on this exchange.

I'm attaching scans to show you don't have to be "good" to participate--one from my first exchange, one from my first Valentines Day exchange (I have scans of all I have sent as well as the original replies).

Mike

Erica McPhee:
Such a great post @AnasaziWrites ! It's been a true joy to see your work and those of so many here on Flourish to well... flourish! over the years.  :-*

Despoina:
I wasn't initially planning to sign up for that exchange (I'm not that valentine person  ::)) but @AnasaziWrites is so so right. Nothing beats that physical envelope and card and the time someone puts into that, even if it took 5 minutes or 5 hours to make. Also, it's so precious to make someones day a bit better with something beautiful :-*
I am new to all that exchange thing (only 3 times with the FF and one more with another group), and I was hoping for more to come with all the lovely people here. (was expecting that "The road less traveled" exchange so much @Erica McPhee  :[). But the decision, is so accepted. I hope, Erica can still organize some exchanges here and then. All that, is so beautiful to let it get lost <3
Until we exchange again, I'll say <3

Erica McPhee:
Thank you @Despoina - don’t forget, too - anyone here on Flourish can organize an exchange.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version