Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 60433 times)

Offline Mimi

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2016, 12:30:27 AM »
I thought it would be fun to start a topic where we can "confess" anything that comes to mind regarding our calligraphy adventures! Here's mine:

Many calligraphers seem to have an affinity for cats, but...I'm not a cat person *wince*. I don't really dislike them... I just don't actively like them. Sorry!

Another is that I am. so. clumsy. It is ridiculous. I drop my pen, my fingers often have ink stains, I tear my papers, I forget to line up my nib properly and don't realize until I'm frustrated because my letters are weird, I've dropped the nib in the ink before and the list goes on. The worst of it is that I've spilled my ink in my lap more times than I want to count! I've learned that walnut ink comes out of clothes much easier than sumi, if anyone is curious, haha.

;D ;D ;D

I'm definitely a dog person, and not a cat person. I've also learned that most ink comes off better than sumi. However, other's do stain your fingers, but Sumi just DOES NOT come out from under your nails!
Mimi

ash0kgiri

« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
I want every one to look at my work closely. . .

Very closely
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:10:35 PM by ash0kgiri »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »

Offline miimu

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
More I read this thread, more I notice my bad habits ;D
- Ordering lots of tools around the world, liking the tools as much as writing
- Doing drills, letters, words, sometime weird sentences.. but not so much anything that could be shown to someone or that has any purpose; it's like keeping my calligraphy secret
- Inspired from internet, but never doing anything I've seen there
- Messy fingers, always.

Offline Brookeemcdonald

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • inky fingers calligraphy
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »
thanks @miimu for reviving this thread! Its hilarious!
This is my major confession: I have 3 holders. I have been doing broad pen FOREVER (like 20 plus years with serious years long breaks) with the same holder . Then when I started pointed pen 5 years ago I bought a cheap plastic holder. Then a nicer (but not terribly expensive) wooden turned holder with an adjustable flange that I have been using regularly for 4 1/2 years. No other holders. Most calligraphers I know have So. Many. Holders.  It just doesn't interest me.  Am I weird?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »
@Brookeemcdonald I am the same way. I bought a 'nicer' one from JNB for $30, and while I enjoy it, I still return to Speedball's red and blue holders. I like their grip. The real reason is price. What money I do have to spare on calligraphy, I put it into nibs, paper, ink skills (books), printing (for exchanges), postages etc. After I pay for all that, I've nothing left in my budget for fancy holders. Not at this stage of my life anyway. I am perfectly ok with that :)
Star

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »
I only use two holders. I have some others I take when I am teaching so students can try them out. The only reason I would have multiple holders would be if I did a ton of broad edge work. I can see having at least 6 different sizes lined up and ready to swap if I needed a different size.

For as much as I love flamboyant lettering - I like the tools to be minimalist.

Offline Brookeemcdonald

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • inky fingers calligraphy
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
@Starlee and @jeanwilson I am so glad to  know I am not alone! Sometimes I'm not sure where to invest my money, as you mentioned @Starlee. I take as many classes as my budget allows, so lots of other supplies go wanting. I am a minimalist at heart and live in a small space, so it has to be super important to add anything.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
Being as how this is a thread about confessions I'll own up to having quite a few oblique holders, mostly as a result of finding myself at a loose end and deciding to make one instead of doing something worthy like practising.  I've only ever paid for two, mind you.  Straight holders and ruling pens tend to find their way to me by some mysterious process, so there's no shortage of those, but they rarely get used.  The business of accumulating gear seems to me a sidetrack, but if it just happens I'm hardly to blame, am I?  ;)

There's also a whole bunch of quills and reed pens, but that's different!

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
On my desk right now are 6 oblique holders and behind me in a drawer are probably another 5 or 6.......in my defense, they each have a different nib in them....pretty lame excuse I know.    They are all ones that can be bought at either John Neal or Paper & Ink.   I do want one from either Chris Yoke or Bryan.  Maybe someday.  I seem to have a calligraphy supply, paper supply, envelope supply, ink supply, marker supply, well you get the picture, hoarding problem.  And I have just figured out Ebay and  vintage nibs...I'm in trouble.  Hi, my name is Sheila and I have a problem.   

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
On my desk right now are 6 oblique holders and behind me in a drawer are probably another 5 or 6.......in my defense, they each have a different nib in them....pretty lame excuse I know. 
Not lame at all. Not lame at all. Each different kind of nib deserves its own holder. Who wants to fuss around changing nibs out of a single holder all the time? Did you know Esterbrook alone made over 1000 different nibs?. You know you're on the right track when you start ordering your holders by the dozen.

And I have just figured out Ebay and  vintage nibs...I'm in trouble.  Hi, my name is Sheila and I have a problem.
Step away from the computer. Block eBay at all costs. Nib fever is highly contagious and there is no known cure. All treatments (like buying nibs by the gross) are only palliative.

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
LOL Michael.   I know!  In the last three days I have bought over 90 nibs and have a bid on two gross of another one.  (One of my favorite nibs, so I am hoping I will win it)   I was smart - I bought 3 new plastic bins to hold my new nibs - one is already full of my modern day nibs.   I think I may have already lost my mind........ 

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »
...  And I have just figured out Ebay and  vintage nibs...I'm in trouble.  Hi, my name is Sheila and I have a problem.

Hi, Sheila!

Hi, I'm Andrew. I have a problem. It's been 10 minutes since I received my last package from eBay. It's been almost 24 hours since my last purchase of vintage nibs.

Actually, I find the urge goes in waves. For me, it helps that there aren't that many out there that I'm interested in, and don't have. But it's been a long and winding road to get here.

Welcome!
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
Hi Andrew!!!  I PM'd you from the other thread.   Thank you for your time.   I don't think my bank account or my husband will survive a full on nib addiction - maybe I can just be social nib hoarder..... is there such a thing?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »
You can do a lot of research on a small collection for free. The American Stationer is the go-to source for much about early pens, stationery and other geeky stuff like that.
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012305596

The Esterbrook Project is a wonderful source for all things about Esterbrook pens. http://theesterbrookproject.com/SITE%20DOCS/NIB%20LIST.html
Phil, who has created this page, is a wonderful and generous guy who loves to share with others who also love the Esterbrook steel pens.

And, unlike the high-end Principalities and other specialty nibs, most vintage nibs are relatively inexpensive if you can be patient and keep your eyes open. Just don't fall for the first $60 box of Esterbrook 048 Falcons you see.

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/