Author Topic: Light Box or Ruled Paper?  (Read 4351 times)

Offline RobertFontaine

• View Profile
Light Box or Ruled Paper?
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
I'm overdue to start practicing with proper ruled lines to tidy up my script.   It's probably nice not to have to use an eraser for finished products (but I have no finished products ).   Tempted to pick up https://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/tracing-boards/a4.html.

Thoughts?

Edit - affiliate link (click on image to see on Amazon at lesser price):

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:05:29 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Light Box or Ruled Paper?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:39:31 PM »
I use both, and each has it's place.

The light box/pad lets me use whatever guidesheet that I want to, including some with different line spacing.  I have some with a half line between my writing line.  This extra space reduces my writing from crashing into the decenders from the line above.

Ruled paper is easier to use, any place you want to write.
Gary

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:58 AM »
I mostly use a guidesheet and rather transparent practice paper that I fix with masking tape on the guide beet. That works nicely without a light pad. For me, a light pad is not so comfortable to work with because it's not flat on the table. I use it only for thicker paper (envelopes or cards), when possible – many quality papers I use for finished work are too thick or dark to go with a light pad. So ruling it is in these cases ;).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
I love using a light box with guidelines underneath. I have one similar to the one you linked. I bring it out to my kitchen island all the time because I like to be out where the family is. Works great!  :) Sometimes I just like the light.  ;D

It's $15 less expensive here (affiliate link):

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
I'm overdue to start practicing with proper ruled lines to tidy up my script.   It's probably nice not to have to use an eraser for finished products (but I have no finished products ).   Tempted to pick up https://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/tracing-boards/a4.html.

Thoughts?
I'd recommend getting a larger size (unless you are carrying this around a lot), as you can rest your arm on it and can use it for larger pieces. Artograph makes these too.

Offline nabeelah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »

Thoughts?

I had an A4 Huion but it broke in a little under a year (the part where you power it seems to have developed loose electrical connections). However, I now use 60gsm paper for practice (I use some Fabriano note paper now) and it's see-through enough to see the lines underneath. But if you were doing a big envelope job or really anything where you want the guidelines to show under a thicker paper, the light box is invaluable. I'll probably purchase another Huion soonish, but this time an A3 size so I have more room to work on.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
I highly recommend the use of printed or drawn guidelines on the paper you are writing on during the learning stages and later on for practice. This makes things much easier and helps improve the quality of your lettering.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:30 AM »
I have recently been doing lots of heavy practicing and find @Salman is correct. Practicing directly on lined paper gives much better feedback and allows you to be more precise. I have found it to help a great deal in improving my lettering.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
I agree with Salman & Erica! First I practiced with a guide sheet under my paper. But since a few weeks I am printing the guidelines on the paper I am writing on and that has improved my writing already!

I don't have a light box, so can't share my experience on that....

Regards, Simone

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
I have an A4 Huion and I am so happy with it, works better than i expected and it is comfortable enough for me. I recommend it for finished works, a high amount of envelopes or anything you would erase lines at the end. But for practice I am all for ruled paper. It is easier and gives a better feedback. I suppose it is better for the eyes to not be looking at a direct source of light if it is not really necessary.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

ash0kgiri

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »
It was kind of blessing in disguise that I never got a light box as its very difficult to get calligraphy materials in India. And as Salman and Erica rightly said it makes a great difference when you practice on printed sheets at learning stage.

- Ashok

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:10 AM »
@ Alba
Turn down the light level as much as you can.  As long as you can easily see the guidelines below, that is as bright as you need.  That is how I use my light pad.  Or put a LARGE sheet of paper over the pad to attenuate the light from the pad.
Gary

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »
Thanks @garyn I try to use it as less bright as I can, but now that you mention a large paper... maybe I need it to cover the places my paper sheet does not cover and lets direct light come out. I'll try that!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
Is it bad that I use neither? At least for everyday writing...good pieces, which I rarely do, are a different story. Lines are a pet peeve of mine. I find them too distracting when I'm practicing. I know the lack of lines is obvious in my uneven lettering, but I like practicing without because freehand is a skill I am trying to hone
Star

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
Star
If you can write without lines, you are MUCH better than me.
I need all the help I can get.
Gary