Author Topic: Mentorship/Buddy Program?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline supertank

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Mentorship/Buddy Program?
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
As a newbie with lots of love from my local Indonesian calligraphy community, I often wonder if there could potentially be a mentorship program of some sort with other calligraphhers willing to help out newbies by critiquing them? I know you can put your samples in the kind critique forum, but it would be nice if people who love to take on mentees could be partnered with newbies and build that longer term bond.

I'm kind of shy so I often don't really know how to do to that with the kind people on this forum, so I'm guessing other people might have that problem as well.

So, just an idea?

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mentorship/Buddy Program?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
As a newbie with lots of love from my local Indonesian calligraphy community, I often wonder if there could potentially be a mentorship program of some sort with other calligraphhers willing to help out newbies by critiquing them? I know you can put your samples in the kind critique forum, but it would be nice if people who love to take on mentees could be partnered with newbies and build that longer term bond.

I'm kind of shy so I often don't really know how to do to that with the kind people on this forum, so I'm guessing other people might have that problem as well.

So, just an idea?

Hi Supertank,
Great Idea
There will be a whole bunch of us "mentees" who are totally ready for this.  However, I think it would be a LOT of work for the mentor and trust me, putting up writing in the Kind Critique section will get you a loads of mentoring from a lot of mentors.

And it is very very long term as long as you keep posting your stuff on the same thread.
I have been doing that on 1 thread for 6 months and you may find it better that way as each stage is critiqued by more than one person. 

Though most of the critique is similar at each stage, there are points that one Pro may have that is missed by another. 

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1327.0

Take a look at this thread where the mentors here have really helped me a LOT to improve my writing.
Just my 2 cents worth.  Maybe others may feel different
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram