Author Topic: Category suggestion: Everyday Handwriting  (Read 5013 times)

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
  • A journey of a 1,000 miles...
    • View Profile
Category suggestion: Everyday Handwriting
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:08:04 AM »
This suggestion spins from a few exchanges in this topic regarding American Cursive.  First, the proposal:

Category:      Everyday Handwriting
Description:   Styles, suggestions, tools, supplies, and general appreciation for one's everyday hand.

I've read a few other requests for new categories and I can appreciate the need and the value in keeping the categories simple.  However, I would suggest that the most general category of the blessed thing we're talking about is not represented -- everyday handwriting!  While a "General" discussion does exist, without the context of handwriting, in particular, then I think it's overly broad to catch and attract topics aimed at what is really sort of a specific idea (everyday handwriting).  In other words, Everyday Handwriting would be a good point of focus for those everyday styles that we all use everyday and to be honest, take it from a remedial penmanship internet hobo: there's no good place for us to call home. 

As elementary schools continue to exchange "penmanship" for "keyboarding" the resources for this vital personal skill throughout our communities will become increasingly valued - first for parents looking for insights, then for graduated high schoolers unhappy with their primitive penmanship.

Now look at me, for example.  While I'm really interested in calligraphy as I've been seeing it, I'm quite a long ways from it.  Yet, a specific category appropriate for, say, American Cursive, may draw more newbies like myself who could slowly graduate to the more calligraphic and ornate styles.

As a sidenote, I think the tools are probably a bit different, as well, so this could be a good place to discuss the supplies for everyday use.  Maybe gel pens and travel notepads and scrappy fountain pens that you can carry in your pocket or purse.  So that would be another area that could fall into this everyday category.

Other topics as mentioned in the originating link above may be around teaching penmanship, nationalistic styles (I believe, for example, that there is still a very defined and supported French penmanship program in the school system).  All of these would fit well into an Everyday Handwriting topic.

In the previous link, there are some suggestions for a category named "Handwriting" or "Penmanship" which are also good options.  I preferred to suggest Everyday Handwriting because I think it gives a little credit and appreciation to that most personal of skills which -- even in its everyday form -- is arguably the evidence and essence of the most significant accomplishment of mankind.

Erica, please consider!

Andy
Andy

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Category suggestion: Everyday Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
This sounds like a very welcome addition to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to fill in all the good reasons why this topic is an important one.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
I really like this idea. I think a lot of people want to improve their everyday handwriting (I know I do!) but don't know where to start. It's like a relatable, less intimidating step into the world of writing.
Monica

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
I think this is a great idea, and second what Jean said.  Very well thought out.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
Excellent suggestion! Ask and you shall receive.  ;D

Everyday Handwriting Board
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
  • A journey of a 1,000 miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
Yay! Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:04:10 PM by andyj »
Andy

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:07:09 AM »
Thanks, Erica :)!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Donna P.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
I also think this an excellent idea as well.  Unfortunately, they are eliminating handwriting in schools.  Students are required to print everything.  I don't agree with it, but that's  the way it is. 

I also have noticed that they more I've been practicing my calligraphy strokes, the better my handwriting has become.  Has anyone noticed that?

I'm a newbie to the forum and can't wait to jump right on in.

Donna

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
Hi Donna,
Welcome! Yes, I notice that as well. It doesn't improve it as much as I would like but definitely does. It's weird how the two are so different for me.

Anyhow, the board was created and is here: Everyday Handwriting.

Enjoy!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline misstinydoodler

• Shiela Ramirez-Sison
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:35:46 AM »
Wow, this sounds really great! Thanks for considering this suggestion, Erica!!! :) :) :)
Shiela Ramirez-Sison
Interior Designer ~ Name and Monogram Designer ~ Calligraphy enthusiast
Here's my Instagram profile!