Author Topic: Hello from rural Maine  (Read 934 times)

Offline nathantecumseh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from rural Maine
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:54:12 AM »
Hello!

I am an artist, musician, and new father living in my great great grandparents' old farmhouse in rural Maine. My father is a sign painter and i've always had a curiosity and appreciation for the intersection of text, art, and craft, and the possibilities held therein.

Several years ago I set out to learn the "Courier" font, or 'typewriter' font. I got all the serifs down and came up with a kind of cute handwritten font, but i had trouble finding pens that were fine enough (mostly at office supply stores), and i never got anything that could possibly be mistaken for typewritten. Then a little over a year ago i started working part time at a health food store. Most of our signage for our produce is handwritten with Sharpie on laminated pieces of white cardstock. I had a little fun with this part of the job and put my "courier font" to good use, but I couldn't write 'organic' in any kind of a satisfactory script style. I could just about see it in my head, but I couldn't get it right. Also the words 'and' and 'from' wouldn't quite form in the accented script style i was striving for. To that end I started looking for the 'rules' that would unlock script styles to accent my layouts.

I ended up going down quite a rabbit hole. Starting with broad tip fountain pens, then a couple pen and nip sets. It's only been in the last few months that I realized that the styles I was trying to emulate were done with pointed pen. That's when I started to really get obsessive. It was as though I had been trying to learn to play an untuned guitar that I then learned to tune. I've gotten a couple oblique holders and a small assortment of some of the nibs that I see referred to often here and on the IAMPETH and Postman's Knock sites.

So far i've mostly used Higgins Black Magic ink, but more recently I've been using india ink diluted with a little water, and I'm due to place an order for some walnut ink which I'm excited to try.

I look forward to being part of this community and I'm sure it will enrich my practice.

Many Thanks,
Nathan

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from rural Maine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
Hi Nathan!
We have two things in common! We both like calligraphy and we both have great great grandparent farm houses in Maine! Mine is a 200 year old farmhouse on Southport Island near Boothbay Harbor. We go every summer. How wonderful to have inherited your father's interest in lettering.
Welcome to Flourish!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:31:50 AM »
Hello, Nathan!  I am going to shamelessly and publicly hope that you post some photos of yours and your father's signs sometime (I just love hand painted signs).  Whether you do or don't, welcome, and enjoy the forum!

ash0kgiri

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »
Hi Nathan,

Warm welcome to this forum. So what script you want to start with. And as Bianca mentioned please post some pics of yours and your father's signs.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline FingerprintDesigns

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Fingerprint Designs
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:40:37 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Rabbit holes can be marvelous places – I've found so much inspiration and instruction that way! (...and spent a lot of money...ha.)
I'm sure you'll find everything you need here to enhance your skills and learn new ones – have fun with it all:)

So glad you found us, looking forward to seeing your work!
All my best,
Molly

Offline Tonoortiz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
Hello  @nathantecumseh and welcome.

I'm also new here, and as @Erica McPhee said, we have two things in common and you are new father and in a few months I'm also going to be one.
Agree with the others and want to see some of your and yours father work.

- Toño

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Hi Nathan!
A big welcome here  :D
And what an interesting hand lettering journey you made so far!
Thanks for sharing the whole story on how you finally came to pointed pen calligraphy.

And have fun with the walnut ink. I haven't tried it so far, but yesterday I practiced with iron gall for the first time and I really loved it!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Simone

Offline nathantecumseh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi Nathan!
We have two things in common! We both like calligraphy and we both have great great grandparent farm houses in Maine! Mine is a 200 year old farmhouse on Southport Island near Boothbay Harbor. We go every summer. How wonderful to have inherited your father's interest in lettering.
Welcome to Flourish!  :)

Thanks Erica! I'm in Dresden, next to Wiscassett, about 30 minutes from Boothbay. :)  Thank you for all the work that you put into this forum.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
We're practically neighbors!  ;D I love Dresden and Wiscassett. You're very welcome - I appreciate the gratitude!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum Nathan! I'm glad to have you with us. My hometown, New Brunswick, is not too far away from Maine. I hope you can find useful information in our forum
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!