Author Topic: My first ever attempt at italic...  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Cally

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
My first ever attempt at italic...
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been practising copperplate for around 2 years now and thought it was about time I had a go at italic! I am really struggling with the letters 's' 'v' 'w' and 'x' so if anyone could help me with those or point me in the right direction that would be great. Also, if anyone can see somewhere I am going wrong, I would love to know - I'm hooked on practise now!

Cally

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: My first ever attempt at italic...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
You are off to a great start!

I find Italic a lot less forgiving than pointed pen. A consistent slant is critical. Also, slow down as you are really drawing each stroke to form the letters.

You have a nice oval going. And you have good letter forms forming, so now it will be about refining them, consistency, and rhythm.

V's are tricky. It's all about the slant. Your first one is tilted. But see your w after it? The v is really like the first part of the w but instead of the second stroke going up and to the right, it comes back to the left but the initiation of the stroke is the same.

For the w, see the exemplar following, the second stroke is a downward stroke and then the last stroke is like the finishing stroke of the v.

X and S are both just really tricky and take study of the letterform and practice.

Be sure to work from a good exemplar. For those who may not have one, this is a good one for lowercase: Italic lowercase.

This capitals one by John Stevens is as good as it gets!

Hope that helps!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:24:20 AM »
IMHO if you really want all the essential tips on how to construct italics, you should invest in Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters - available from John Neal Bookseller.

It is $35 (free shipping in the US) but you get detailed information on italics and variations. Sheila is not only a master of broad edge, but she is a master at teaching. John Neal deserves a ton of credit for publishing this book.

Besides italic, you also get foundational, blackletter, gothic cursive, uncial and half-uncial, carolingian - and variations. There are also chapters on analysis and practice, design and layout, and more. It is the most comprehensive, well-written and illustrated book you can imagine for broad edge. There is much more than what I have listed here. Your first attempt shows that you have good skill at replicating what you see. If you take time to self study with Sheila, you will be very pleased with the results. There are so many subtle details to broad edge, it would be very difficult to get the information you need from following one or two exemplars (with no explanation) and getting random bits of advice from the forum.

I agree with Erica that broad edge is *less forgiving* than the script styles. With scripts, you can do quirky, non-traditional writing and add some flourishing and it can be charming. With broad edge, there are people who do wild, contemporary variations (Luca Barcellone  http://www.lucabarcellona.com/ )  But, if you look at his work, you can tell that he mastered the traditional forms before he cut loose.

Sheila Waters has a section on How to practice followed by How NOT to practice -and- How to avoid calligraphic depression. That section -along with how to analyze- really explains the nuts and bolts of how to make progress with self study. Even if you have no interest in broad edge, that section (along with the 3 chapters on design, layout, and how to complete actual projects) is worth the price of the book.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:42:30 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
Excellent advice and book information, Jean! If you don't mind, I'm going to post this in the Library section as well.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
P.S. Please don't be discouraged from posting for critique on Flourish. Although they are "random bits of advice" we have many long time calligraphers here who give excellent feedback and advice which I find very helpful when studying independently.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram