Author Topic: Kind critique for a copperplate beginner  (Read 1542 times)

Offline opera.rose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Kind critique for a copperplate beginner
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
Hi everyone! So glad to find this helpful forum. Have decided to start this thread to log my progress and practice. Any kind critique is welcome.

I have just started copperplate practice today and started with drills. I am finding it hard to decide when to turn while doing the under turn, so I don't get a lopsided stroke.  Any tips on how to improve will be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Ink: sumi ink
Nib: elbow nib till I get an oblique holder
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:40:34 AM by opera.rose »
Michelle 📫📩🖋
Instagram: @opera.rose

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Kind critique for a copperplate beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
You want to turn at the same time you would on your basic oval.  The bottom of your oval will be mimicked by the bottom of your underturn.  Also, your line widths could be varied a little more, I think - either a finer hairline (not sure what you can achieve with that nib, though) or broader downstroke.  You are clearly taking your time with each stroke, which is great!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
Last thing: it's hard to really see, but it looks like you might not be lightening up on your stroke until you reach the bottom.  Try to lighten up as you move right on your curve so your transition from swell to hairline starts sooner, and you have a hairline by the time you've reached the bottom.  Ok, enough from me.

Offline opera.rose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
Last thing: it's hard to really see, but it looks like you might not be lightening up on your stroke until you reach the bottom.  Try to lighten up as you move right on your curve so your transition from swell to hairline starts sooner, and you have a hairline by the time you've reached the bottom.  Ok, enough from me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the tip Bianca! I realized the picture quality was bad after I posted 😱

It is abit hard to achieve the thick downstrokes with this nib but today I will try to lighten up on the hairline.
Michelle 📫📩🖋
Instagram: @opera.rose

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »
Great! Be sure to post your progress :)  I love underturns, but wish the overturns came as easily!