Author Topic: C's Pen Journal  (Read 11147 times)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: C's Pen Journal
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
The idea of nested envelopes is brilliant!

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
On a tear lately.

All pointers are appreciated.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Nice work!  What a gorgeous stamp in the corner too!

About the horizontal line, something about it that bugs me, can't put my finger on it though...

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
...About the horizontal line, something about it that bugs me, can't put my finger on it though...

I have a bad habit of over-slanting.  My letters start falling over, and sliding off the page.  I'm trying to use more/better guidelines, and be vigilant.   I wonder if that's what you're seeing.....

Also, the photo was a little skewed, warping the perspective.  (that's a weak excuse though)

Here with a scanner.   

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
That must be it.  I perceive a difference in the parallelism of the text lines and the physical line.  The physical line accentuates this.  So be careful, all your pencil guide lines should be absolutely parallel.

I also notice that the physical line is a little "sloppy" in a couple of places.  Try to draw it in one unbroken and even stroke.

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
This is my second try with white.  (Dr. Martin's)  Generally, I love the stuff.  Still working toward the proper dilution.  I think it was too thick this time.  But I'm hooked on white.

The M, R, and A... ugh.    tons to work on..... 

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
Still writing, if not posting. 

Attached is my offering for Valentine's Day.  I typically lay siege to the mailbox this time of year.  I've been putting one in the Missus each day for a while.  I'm holding this one for last.   Tons to work on, but it's progress.

It's a blatant steal from here:   https://thepostmansknock.com/typography-art-envelope-tutorial/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:04:49 AM by cameraflier »

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »
Lovely!  Very nice for Valentine's Day :).

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »
I love that Valentine envelope!  Lucky girl!

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
The Valentine's envelope finally arrived.  It was *way* late.  I was nervous that the envelope was too square, and I had used the old butterfly.   These new "non machinable" charges are frustrating.  It'll be better when my stamp stash catches up, but for now it's hampering my ability to coordinate stamps with envelopes.

I flatter myself and say it traveled slow because the postal workers were showing it off to colleagues.  ;)

Also, stole my 3 year old's water colors and tried to ink up with it.  I let some water sit on the orange for quite a while, mixed with a brush, and brush loaded the nib directly from the paint cake.  It worked out pretty well.  (see postcard) I got a few glops, but I'm really excited about it.  It's my first try with a non-purpose-made ink.  I see endless possibilities.  Now I'm looking at everything as possible ink.  I should to go read the backlog of ink mixing threads.

Also, I just replaced my old $2 Speedball holder with an upgrade from JNB.  Wow.  It's like starting all over, and I really like it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:35 AM by cameraflier »

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Such pretty envelopes! I may have to steal that envelope template myself, thank you for sharing the link. 

Nikki x

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
Wonderful envelopes. And nice progress from the beginning of your posts to now.

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Two more offerings, but only one counts as penwork.

1 -  I'm getting the hang of Moon Palace.  Good stuff.  Also my first try at single spacing.  It just sorta worked out that way.  I may try it more often.   I had hoped for more from the snowflakes, but oh well.  I have until next winter to mature the idea.

2 - I found some old press type designed for typewriter corrections.  The white background transfers with the letter.  I've been waiting for an opportunity to use it.  Then I got a small kraft paper bag with a card shop purchase.  It had fun robots stamped front and back.  It's age appropriate for the recipient.  The bag is full of big puzzle pieces.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:49:54 PM by cameraflier »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
Great envelopes. The snowflakes look nice!

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »
I still travel for work, and most every hotel room comes with a desk and chair.  I have my travel kit, so the letters and envelopes keep coming.  I only write 2-3 letters a month, but postcards make for good practice.  If you got one for your birthday, it might have been me.

Here is a recent offering.  You can see that I picked the wrong white pencil.  I tested the erasability while at the craft store, but on the actual envelope it didn't work out.  oh well...

I feel like I'm finally getting a rhythm about my writing, and my "K" doesn't stink quite the way it did.   I've been working on squaring my tops and bottoms, but this is a poor example.  ... Still, it was a fun one.  The Harry Potter stamps have been interesting, especially the owls. 

Happy Weekend!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:33:05 PM by cameraflier »