Author Topic: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters  (Read 22582 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
I agree with your critique!  The ending upstroke is weird.  And, I don't think that the upstroke that connects the two down strokes really touches the second down stroke in the "W".  Normally, I find his work to be very pleasing, but I'm not a fan of this!

Janis

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
I purchased this book after reading threads on this forum and I am glad I did. Ms. Winters provides some nice history, reduced photographs of actual works, and I find the flow of her instructions easy to follow.

I use this book in conjunction with Erica's Pointed Pen Nirvana tutorials and feel that with both I am building a solid foundation into the Copperplate method.
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline bubuli

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
as a few has pointed out, the book by Eleanor Winters is not in the same classic style taught at the Zanerian College.  I prefer the Zanerian way, specifically, EA Lupfer's (to be _really_ specific..since there's a bit of variation among the Zanerian-era masters).

Not sure if it's mentioned here yet...but you don't need to buy the Zanerian Manual (TBH the reprints being sold online are serviceable at best), you can download it here free of charge (thanks to the kindness of David Grimes aka @Masgrimes) for the purpose of learning copperplate--i.e., not to be reposted somewhere else and definitely not to be sold.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
I have seen few underestimated notes on this book. But Finally I decided to get this book to compare few other two books I have  on COPPERPLATE. This books is already  an old publication belongs to the year 2000 but  I am very glad I got it. It is one of the best books  that covers more than the basic Copperplate to a next level. It has all you need to know what is copperplate and how you do it. Love the beginning  of the book that gives a short history of copperplate and the origin of English round hand. This is a complete book for beginners Copperplate. This is a contemporary copperplate. 

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
I got lucky!  My daughter got married in 2013. She was in a very large sorority at the University of Texas (UT). She was marrying a boy from the largest fraternity at UT. There was not enough money in North America to fund this whole enterprise!  I knew that I couldn’t prepare the food (who can cook enough food for 350 people??).  I couldn’t arrange the flowers. (I’m auditory, NOT visual!). BUT, the one thing that I thought I could do, was calligraphy.  I had very pretty, ornate handwriting (cursive script.). I found Eleanor Winter’s’ book on Amazon. I ordered it & used it like a text book. I started on page 1 & just worked my way through the book, front-to-back.  I learned Copperplate from that book!! I know that there are professional calligraphers on this Forum. I respect that. They HATE Eleanor Winters’ book, considering it to be “amateurish”.  I “get” that!  But her book, plus the Speedball Handbook, taught me how to script Copperplate. I’m certainly no “professional”.  I’m just a hack!  But, my clients like my script. It’s not my main source of income, but it’s nice to have as a little extra “supplement”.

Thanks to @Erica McPhee, I also learned how to mix gouache as ink.  Now, I can letter whatever you want in the color of your choice. (Thank you, Erica!)

So, anyhow, there are people who will disparage you & Eleanor Winters’ book. Ignore them. YOU DO YOU!  You learn what works for you!  You can win this!

Janis

P.s.,

Calligraphy DESTROYED my script handwriting! I now have chicken-scratch handwriting. I guess that the Universe wants to stay “in balance”? It’s a trade-off!  Hang in there!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
I LOVE this post so much! This to me is what discovering calligraphy is all about - finding the love of letters in whatever form. I was so saddened when I started meeting more people in the calligraphy community who disparaged the Italic books I had learned from as a young eager child. I understand we can only be as good as what we learn from. But back in the 80’s there were only a handful of books available and none of the ones I could access were apparently “good.” But I thought they were beautiful and I am grateful for every one.

Like that gouache video I made. LOL. I absolutely cringe when I see it because it is so poorly done. BUT - look at that - it helped @JanisTX learn to use gouache! So mission accomplished!  ;D

Thank you Janis for this terrific encouragement.

P.S. I am right there with you, my handwriting and calligraphy battle each other.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
So, anyhow, there are people who will disparage you & Eleanor Winters’ book. Ignore them. YOU DO YOU!  You learn what works for you!  You can win this!

Janis
Wonderful.
To thine own self be true.

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Wonderful.
To thine own self be true.

Exactly! Also, to thine own needs be true. A FF member, you know who you are, had suggested I might learn some new things by learning a new script. I’d read reviews of this book, the supportive as well as disparaging, and decided to purchase it. My particular need was to simply become acquainted with a new script and the mechanics for producing it, not necessarily to master it with painstaking detail. For that, the book is perfect.

Recently watched a YouTube video interview of Seymour Bernstein’s reactions to Glenn Gould’s piano interpretations of various great composers. The debate about “doing it right,” although Gould was not alive to defend his positions, struck me as missing the point. Guys, it’s ALL MUSIC!!  I suppose my opinions would differ if I were in that thin air of the pinnacle of success in any particular field.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile

… Like that gouache video I made. LOL. I absolutely cringe when I see it because it is so poorly done. BUT - look at that - it helped @JanisTX learn to use gouache! So mission accomplished!  ;D

And helped this member to pronounce it correctly.  ::) A twofer!  ;D
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
LOLOL! It’s a tricky one.   ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop