Author Topic: Broad-edge Nib Recommendation?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline nej

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Broad-edge Nib Recommendation?
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:11:13 PM »
I having a hard time finding a good nib to practice with. I'm just starting out and have tried Brause, and Speedball; there's not much in my area and I can't order anything online atm :( In addition I'm a leftie and use the left-handed nibs.

I find both nibs very scratchy on the paper which causes them to veer off in strange directions.

Is this a nib issue or a noob one? Any tips? TIA!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:13:36 PM by nej »

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: Broad-edge Nib Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Could be any combination of technique, paper or nib really (even potentially ink). If the nib veers off path it might be the angle at which you're using it or the amount of pressure.

Have you tried your nibs on different papers? I don't know what nibs you would be able to get locally but if there's a big art store try looking for the Pilot Parallel pens, they were my introduction to broad edge and are very easy to use.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »
I started off with the Brause set and used them for a few years - but when I got my first Parallel Pen I was like: Hallelujah!

I use the PP for practice mostly, but if I were to ever do a "formal" piece I would still use the good ole pen holder & nib. I find the Brause perfect for beginners. It's the right flexibility and smooth enough to not make you TOO frustrated. Just make sure to clean and dry the nib and reservoirs thoroughly and don't lose them down the drain.

I have the Mitchell set and it's wayyyy too flexible for me right now. The Tape set is nice but it's angled and I have yet to get used to them. I recently got a set of the Leonardt Roundhand nibs at the recommendation of another member here, but I haven't tried them yet.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:48:24 AM by Linda Y. »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:18:59 AM »
I hadn't done broad pen calligraphy in years, so I ordered a Mitchell nib, a Brause nib, and a Tachikawa nib for comparison. The Brause nib is SO scratchy. I suspect it's just that particular nib -- but I'm ready to take sand paper to it! Despite the bad experience with the Brause nib, though, I suspect if it's happening with both Brause and Speedball nibs, it is likely paper, ink or technique.

I agree with Linda and Heebs -- if you can get a parallel pen (or even a broad-nib fountain pen) to start with, that may be easiest. I learned with a fountain pen back in the day.

I'm also a leftie. I learned to write with regular nibs, but with my paper tilted 90 degrees clockwise. (So I am writing vertically downward toward myself.) Even with left-handed nibs, I find it works better to tilt the paper towards me some. I think it's worth experimenting with paper, ink, and paper angle.

Are you teaching yourself? What style are you starting with?

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
Brause nibs are very sharp and very sensitive to pressure even on smooth paper. Try writing with as little pressure as you can - and then reduce it by half. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

Smoother paper helps as does putting a few sheets of folded newspaper under your paper. The softer padding helps lighten the touch.

WM Mitchell nibs are much more forgiving but they will also dig in with pressure, especially when changing directions during a stroke e.g. 'S'.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline kate Adderley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »
have you tried the manuscript and the osmiroid , l find them to be great, l know what you mean about the brause and speedball, because the same thing happens to me, but not all the nibs do it , only some,