Author Topic: Italic Handwriting  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Italic Handwriting
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
This is an example of my Italic handwriting from a few years ago. This was written at a moderate pace; not slow, deliberate, formal Italic or rapidly-written, everyday Italic, but somewhere in between. At the time, I was deeply involved with the genealogy of my family, and I was more interested in producing a reasonable copy of the details of the will, and less about the quality of the writing.

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
Re: Italic Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Thank you for sharing this Mr Fraser.
I personally love the spontaneous strokes at your letters.
I was recently refreshing my Italic reading the Society for Italic Handwriting website and I came across and article by Nancy Winters where she says: "Italic is a very functional, everyday handwriting style and should not, therefore, be reserved for special occasions. It can be an elegant hand with ascenders and descenders about two and a half times the height of the miniscules which are started and finished with a pushed right to left stroke. When writing faster, ascenders tend to become shorter and undecorated."
I find this fits your piece very well :)
Full article here.
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks, Cecilia

You may be interested in the original document from 1656 which is very difficult to read. I re-wrote it for clarity, with odd spellings etc., exactly as on the original. I had to get help in deciphering some of the difficult parts. This is the will of my great, great, great, great, great Grandfather.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:17:14 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »
This is amazing. You really own a document dating back to the 17th century?! That is 6 generations behind you!
How do you keep it safe from humidity and bacteria and everything? Paper must be very delicate to handle!

(I saw something from my great grandfather, only 3 generations behind, and I saw it when I was nearly more than a child. I don't know where that document is; must ask my mother.)

Thank you for sharing this.
The capital S {which seems flourished if I can see well} is beautiful!
It's difficult indeed. I would have read Sinbleborough in the name, instead of Singlebourgh.
And the way the "h" was written after the t is very interesting to me (different from other h shapes which are written how we know it).
Do you know where did that shape come from?

Thank you for sharing :)
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:41:08 AM »
I only have a photocopy of the will which a researcher/genealogist managed to obtain for me.

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »
Amazing! I am learning Italic and what you posted is reali inspirational. Thanks a lot C