Author Topic: Welcome to the World  (Read 1162 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Welcome to the World
« on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
One of my former students just had his first baby.  So I made a card.  And hey - I'm really getting my hand control back, a year and a half after my concussion!
--yours, K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the World
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
Wonderful news about your hand! It shows. And this is so beautiful! I love the name they chose as well. Thanks for sharing! :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:40 AM »
What a wonderful card.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Angelica acosta

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:09:03 PM »
hello all, I want to start learning broad edge pen. What would you recommendo to go? which style first? there are sooo many styles (gothic, italics, uncial, foundational, French round hand) it has been daunting to find soo many and I dont know where to start. I practice pointed pen, (engrossers) and think Im ready to learn other styles. So I would really appreciate your input guys. cordially, Angelica.
Angélica Acosta
IG calligraphybarranquilla
FB Angelica Acosta

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 07:03:01 AM »
There are many people (myself included) who started with italic. Italic looks easy and you probably see more of it than any other broad edge style. However, after I started to teach and after I conferred with several other teachers, I (we) do not recommend italic as the best choice for a first broad edge hand. Sheila Waters, who has been teaching for decades and is a master of italics, agrees that the angles and details of italics are too complicated for a *first* hand. Her recommendation is foundational and I agree, even though it is the least interesting style. Most people are not excited to learn foundational. But, if you want a good *foundation* -- it's the one. It was designed to go with the Roman caps -- and Romans are a nice starting point -- but they are very challenging. Look at John Stevens' IG for inspiration. https://www.instagram.com/calligraphile/?hl=en

Uncial is a very good choice because you do not have to learn both upper and lower case. You also keep the nib at a fairly flat angle, so that is helpful. Gothic can also be a good choice because it has so few curves and an abundance of vertical strokes. If you choose gothic, practice on graph paper.

One of my favorites for a first style is Neuland because it requires all thick strokes and no thins - and it's a good way for the student to build the intuitive motions that will be helpful down the road.

If you already have experience with scripts, then French Roundhand is a really good choice. There is a lot of crossover between styles. With this style, you would get some good experience with all the curved strokes.

Most people insist that you have to pick a style and stick with it. I actually think that it is fine to try all of them and find the one that draws you in. I always say - save italic for later. But, once in a while, I would have a student in a beginning class who would try everything and not do very well and then they would try italic and it turned out to be the one that came to them in a very natural way. So -- have fun trying everything.

Most italics have some slant, but once in a while you see an exemplar that is perfectly upright. That is my favorite for beginners. I also recommend short ascenders and descenders in the beginning. Just work on all the details that are happening in the x-height territory. Once again, upright italics on graph paper can be a good beginner style.

Enjoy the journey.