Author Topic: Introduction into Engrosser's Script with Bill Lilly "DVD"  (Read 10166 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Introduction into Engrosser's Script with Bill Lilly "DVD"
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:10:49 AM »
I wanted to take a quick moment and review the Bill Lilly DVD. Now unfortunately I can't write beautiful explanations like some of you can. So I will write it in my own words. I received it today and was not very excited because of the weather here in Georgia. It's been raining and and flooding everyday creating problems by creating a indoor pool (basement) in my house to flooded streets and yards. So it's been gloomy time right now. The DVD itself was just inside a wrapper, no cover as most DVD's have so I was a little nervous about this. So I finally got the chance to pop it into the player and sat down just to watch at first.

When I started this journey I was into engrosser's script and that's what I have tried to emulate. Sometime maybe coming out like English round hand or sometimes even chicken scratch.  So I was excited to see  Penman and Zanerian graduate Bill Lilly in action because if it were around today that is what I would try and achieve. I was so blown away of the techniques he used maybe picking them up at Zanerian College or something over the many years but it was just so amazing. To getting the nib to work, to cleaning it, to inking it. I was utterly amazed at all the pen lifts and paper manipulations as he wrote. Some of the terms he used that the old masters would say for example we say squaring the tops off or retouching they called it doctoring and they doctored a lot he said. So now I will have to throw most of the stuff out the window and start over with his teachings. He is unbelievable. I know Connie Chen has had the opportunity to learn from him personal what a treat that must be. And to top it off at the end he holds up his Zanerian Certificate with the Gold Seal (I cant believe how big it really is) To me that stuff impresses me maybe even more than a Master Penman Certificate.  Not taking anything away from that program (hopefully you understand where I am coming from).  To sum it up I am so glad I purchased this DVD and was able to see (on screen anyhow) a Zanerian Master!

Sorry for any typos or grammar its late.

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
Re: Introduction into Engrosser's Script with Bill Lilly "DVD"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »
Thanks Brad, I didn't know this DVD existed! I'm going to have to get my hands on it, what a great opportunity to see someone with a Zanerian certificate write!
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
Yeah, I think I need to buy myself that DVD...

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
I wanted to take a quick moment and review the Bill Lilly DVD. Now unfortunately I can't write beautiful explanations like some of you can. So I will write it in my own words. I received it today and was not very excited because of the weather here in Georgia. It's been raining and and flooding everyday creating problems by creating a indoor pool (basement) in my house to flooded streets and yards. So it's been gloomy time right now. The DVD itself was just inside a wrapper, no cover as most DVD's have so I was a little nervous about this. So I finally got the chance to pop it into the player and sat down just to watch at first.

When I started this journey I was into engrosser's script and that's what I have tried to emulate. Sometime maybe coming out like English round hand or sometimes even chicken scratch.  So I was excited to see  Penman and Zanerian graduate Bill Lilly in action because if it were around today that is what I would try and achieve. I was so blown away of the techniques he used maybe picking them up at Zanerian College or something over the many years but it was just so amazing. To getting the nib to work, to cleaning it, to inking it. I was utterly amazed at all the pen lifts and paper manipulations as he wrote. Some of the terms he used that the old masters would say for example we say squaring the tops off or retouching they called it doctoring and they doctored a lot he said. So now I will have to throw most of the stuff out the window and start over with his teachings. He is unbelievable. I know Connie Chen has had the opportunity to learn from him personal what a treat that must be. And to top it off at the end he holds up his Zanerian Certificate with the Gold Seal (I cant believe how big it really is) To me that stuff impresses me maybe even more than a Master Penman Certificate.  Not taking anything away from that program (hopefully you understand where I am coming from).  To sum it up I am so glad I purchased this DVD and was able to see (on screen anyhow) a Zanerian Master!

Sorry for any typos or grammar its late.

Mr Lilly is truly a great man, I had a chance to meet with him the other day and I told him how I knew Connie and he absolutely adores her. Connie has a true understanding of what it means and is one of the best Engrossers on IG.

His Zanerian gold seal certificate is much more impressive than a Master Penman certificate. Every letter is so exact that it looks printed. It really shows how he spent 10 hours a day practicing.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
I picked up my copy directly from him for $20 I believe, it's an older series of videos but great none the less.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »
Is this the one that's available at PaperInkArts?  Perhaps I'll 'accidentally' slip it in with my next order  ;D

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
Why yes it is Moya!

Is this the one that's available at PaperInkArts?  Perhaps I'll 'accidentally' slip it in with my next order  ;D

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
I do not see this DVD available at Paper and Ink Arts. Does anyone know if someone else still carries this DVD?

Thanks,
Catherine
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
Hi @cejohnson .  I'll be curious to see if someone else can find it.  I poked around online, including Amazon and ebay, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.  Connie Chen's website even has a "link for purchase" for said DVD, but it just goes to Paper & Ink Arts, which may not carry it anymore.  I would suggest emailing them directly though, to find out if they have access to it somewhere.  Otherwise you might also reach out to Connie Chen, if no one here has better ideas.  Sorry I couldn't help more.   :-\

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Hi Kristin - thank you for the reply. You were helpful  :) I'll keep checking around from time to time to see if one pops up anywhere.

Warm regards,
Cat

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »
Hi Kristin - thank you for the reply. You were helpful  :) I'll keep checking around from time to time to see if one pops up anywhere.

Warm regards,
Cat

Good luck, Cat!  Please let the forum know if it does turn up, I'm sure other folks will be interested to know as well.  :)

Offline bookfiend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
This DVD is back in stock at Paper and Ink Arts

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
Thank you so much for the update. I just ordered it! My early Christmas present  :P