Author Topic: Handmade holders  (Read 3690 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Handmade holders
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
Hello all.

I am not sure if this is the right location for this, if not please move it to the right location. I know advertising is not allowed, but I just wanted to let the group know that I have started to add dip holders and stands to my Etsy shop. The selection is thin at the moment, but I am hoping to add some more in the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure how the pictures will show up in the message, as I haven't set up a cloud photo storage yet. I am uploading as attachments rather than inserting images.

The straight holder is made of Teak.
The oblique with the 2 dark accent lines is Padauk.
The oblique with no accents is Bloodwood.
The dark oblique is Wenge, but it is not up at my Etsy shop, as it became an oops pen to be added to my collection. Wood moves in mysterious ways, and as you can see in the photo, this one gave a little curl to the tail.

The stand is made of Wenge and Maple. It is 6" between sides to hold almost any holder.

I hope you enjoy, and I would love to hear comments, critiques and ideas.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Handmade holders
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
They look great!  I really like the wenge one, though I've no idea how you got that turn in it's tail!!   It's very addictive turning penholders, isn't it?  It looks like there is getting to be a great selection of penholders available on Etsy now, which is good for all of us.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
Thanks Melanie

The curve was not planned. As I finished turning the tail, the wood just curved of its own volition. Its usually caused by internal stresses/tensions being released by the removal of wood. Its most noticeable in wet/green wood. If the stresses aren't balanced, you will get some weird movement. Sometimes wood does that, no matter how much you try to read the grain.

When I added the flange, I made sure that the curve was on the upper side of the holder. It works for me :D
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
Yes, wood can be unpredictable at times!  Still, it keeps things interesting.  I too have a growing collection of 'almost' penholders....perfectly usable, but usually some cosmetic imperfection. 
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
Quite lovely and elegant turning. Nice job!
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/