Author Topic: Then and Now  (Read 39176 times)

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
Re: Then and Now
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
This was my first ever attempt at writing roundhand. I used guidelines beneath the paper (a layout pad), an oblique holder and Higgins eternal. X-height is 5mm.

This was done a few months ago with a straight penholder, Diamine registrar's ink (a blue-black iron gall ink: has blue dye it it, so it goes on blue but turns black over several days) and with guidelines pencilled on the paper and rubbed out afterwards:

X height is 6mm, slant 45 degrees. Paper was from a Rhodia pad.

I've seen various translations of the quote: this one was from "Bismarck: A Life" by Jonathan Steinberg. Not a good man Bismarck. A great one, but not a good one.

Enlargements.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Wow.  What a difference!! 
Debbie

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
What an amazing improvement! What was your secret, besides lots of practice?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline urbanhue

• View Profile
    • Urban Hue
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
This post is absolutely what I needed.... I think it is a post that every single newbie starting out needs to see....

I've only been doing this for about a month and a half now and though I see improvement I know that I still have a ways to go...

Looking at the starting sheets from everyone, they all look pretty much the same.... hesitation, uncertainty, etc... and then the current work.... breath taking...

It all shows that starting out is hard.... way harder than it looks and with practice and dedication you will "flourish" HA pun intended...

Thank you all who have posted their work.... you have given me inspiration to keep going... Hopefully, one day in the near future, I will be on this post, posting my before and after.

You guys rock!
~Jennifer~

Instagram  ~ Website

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 04:32:13 AM »
oh, these post are exactly what i needed!
i haven't done calligraphy for months as i was (ok, i am) very busy with university, i was very sad about it and discouraged, but seeing these really helped me! I'm preparing nibs and ink now.

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
What an amazing improvement! What was your secret, besides lots of practice?

For me, I think the greatest thing was approaching learning roundhand as re-learning how to write and so questioning and potentially changing everything that I did with respect to writing: I read and re-read 18th, 19th and early 20th century penmanship books which dealt with roundhand and practised only from the exemplars in those books. I changed how I held the pen, sat in my chair and put the paper before me (People often had their paper straight before them, not at a slant). It is not the work of a day, a week or a month, and I still carefully monitor how I sit and hold the pen, but it started making a difference. I also started using a straight penholder instead of an oblique, and not any straight penholder but a very slim one with a metal clasp just as you see in the New Spencerian compendium, for example.

Another thing was systematic practice from the large list of words given for penmanship practice here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BmsUAAAAQAAJ&dq=carstairs%20writing&pg=PA105#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm still working my way through that list. Once I've gone through it at 8mm, I'll go through it at 6, and then 3.

Another thing was carefully studying the letters, especially the turns at the heads and tails (tilting hand to the left or right brings on great changes in how and where the shade thickens) and the proportions and parts of the capitals, and trying to imitate exemplars as exactly and faithfully as possible. I make great use of tracing paper: I trace my exemplar on tracing paper, write at the same size as it and put the tracing paper over my writing and can instantly seen any deviations. Checking slant with a protractor and going over a page with a pencil and ringing all errors and then re-doing the page was another important thing.

Another thing was practising on blank paper and ruling the lines using a drawing board, 0.3mm mech. pencil, t-square, and adjustable triangle for the slant lines. Trains the hand and eye and serves as a warm up and I find it easier to concentrate on writing when I don't have to search out guidelines peeping through the fibers of the paper as when a guide is placed beneath. And, If I wish the absolute finest of guidelines, I can use a 6H 2mm leadholder, appropriately sharpened to rule them.

Another thing was  using only iron-gall ink and throwing away pens as soon as they begin to scratch or become worn and the line thickens. The more I have practised the longer pens last and the smoother they seem as I have become better at using them.

I think those are probably the most critical things, which worked for my improvement over several years, and hopefully for much more improvement.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:18:41 PM by Brush My Fennec »

Offline nicnilla

• Freshman Member
  • graphic designer and ink lover from germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 06:28:09 AM »
This is so good to see for a newbie!
I have only been practicing for just under 4 weeks and my hand is very slowly
getting used to the moves. Last night was spent doing sheets and sheets of i`s...
Right now I cannot wait to get better LOL. But even if I am not liking my stuff
yet I am having a ball practicing. It is still beyond me how one is supposed to
keep the same slant angle and thickness of stroke. Let alone all those amazing
Flourishes and fancy letters all of you are doing here.

Thanks for sharing and giving me new hope *smiles

so this is my first try, 3 1/2 weeks ago

and in the second pic it`s what I wrote 2 days ago.

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
I love this topic! 
I love seeing the newbies encouraged.  I still have a long way to go. I will always push myself to excellence; it's just the way I am!

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Here is my work in Spencerian for 4 months of work. I started with Michael Sull's Spencerian book and just finished taking a Beginner Spencerian with Harvest Crittenden's 6 week class.

I still have along way to go, but I love seeing my growth.

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Go Amy, go Amy, go Amy!!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »
I still love this thread, so motivating!

Rebecca, how much time lies between your first and last image?
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline calligrafolie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »
Woah thanks so much for this thread!

So motivating for a beginner like me. I've only started 5 weeks ago and always wondering when is my writing and letterforms are considered 'acceptable' :P

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
I still love this thread, so motivating

Rebecca, how much time lies between your first and last image?

The first image is from 2007.  I wrote for about 6 months before having a an accident that led to numerous hand surgeries. Then I started writing again in mid 2012.  Between my injury and 2012 I probably put in only 20 hours of actual writing--maybe less--but I did study A LOT.  Most of my progress I believe has been from 2012 to now.  Since 2012, I have improved my flourishing mostly.  I think the lettering maybe about the same level--others might disagree :).  I did add Spencerian into the mix and have been working on that since late 2013.  On my instagram, you can see the progression because I start it in 2012 when I first started writing again and pretty much post everything i do.  I have on there a Deacon Certificate I did for my hubby in 2012 and then the do-over for 2013.  If I have time, I will do a new one.  Those, to me, show how far I have come in a year.  I have NOT arrived, still have tons to learn and I see so many wonderful calligraphers to admire.

Sorry for the long explanation, but to just give the dates seems misleading. 

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
I was on IAMPETH.com and found these examples too. Here is the link http://www.iampeth.com/videos.php

1. Before and After - Progress in Script, Earl A. Lupfer
2. Before and After - Progress in Script, Henry P. Behrensmeyer
3. Before and After - Progress in Script, Dr. Joe Vitolo

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:44 AM »
So cool to see that even the masters started like us!
Natascha
My Instagram