Author Topic: Then and Now  (Read 39088 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Before and Afters
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:00:41 PM »
This is one of my most favorite posts yet! Love seeing everyone's progress!

When I come across my first Spencerian work (cleaning out the garage this week in preparation for a move), I will post.  ;D

Great work everyone!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:21 PM »
Okay so here is mine. I'm sure you can figure out my start in late Dec 2013 to now. It's kinda amazing to see the progress. I really think it comes down to learning the tools and then letter forms. But it's always a work in progress to improve upon our late improvement. I find that once I've noticed I've improved I'm only content with that for 5 mins then I'm off and running again. Many of you know who follow me on IG have seen me go back to basics because I didn't fully develop in learning copperplate and along the way of my half ass learning I developed some bad habits. But it's all good. When I pick up that pen and dip it in ink all is right with the world.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »
Here's number 2

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Number 3 - current.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 04:06:21 AM »
This is the best thread EVER! Thank you every one for sharing their first and current calligraphy journey. This thread gives me hope! Hope that mine will improve and be better and this journey is worth to take. All of you had improved tremendously. Schin, Joi, Patricia, Star,Nickki, Natascha, Linda, and every one who will join this thread, thank you for sharing and posting.
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline jamiemateo

• "Vous êtes Belle "
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:09 AM »
Joining the bandwagon , I started calligraphy 3days before
April.😀 that time my weakest point is Capitals 😂 haha

The first photo was taken 19 weeks ago (based in instagram ). Basically,
I wrote some Self-constructive criticisms in each letter so that I know what my
mistake is ☺️😁

2nd photo was taken 15 weeks ago.. At that time, I finally encountered the word
"flourishing" . Little by little I fell in love with it.. So, I did some research on how to flourish
in a "nice way" 😂 hahah

3rd photo (4 weeks ago) - I lifted the words from Valliciergo Exemplars which was given to me by Ate Joi 
Trying to improve my Capitals and learning something new about my miniscules 😂

4th is my recent post on Instagram(24hrs ago)  where I used flourishing and added some Spencerian
and Copperplate style on my miniscules 💕

I'm a work in progress, I brlieve.  -- I hope that I inspire everyone with this post of mine.. It takes a lot of  time and practice to become good at it ❤️  Patience is a virtue everyone  Right now,
I'm working on my Spencerian 😅 a little bit tough but we'll get in there.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
Mike, you crack me up!  ;D  I'm going to spare you permanent eye damage and not show either before or after, as they still look about the same -- not good!

Those last two are just beautiful, Starlee -- it that what using full arm movement did?

Yes, except for the minuscules in the Tori offhand...I still sometimes sneak finger movements in. But the capitals and flourishes, are arm movements :)

Thanks, for sharing, everyone. I've been getting a little discouraged lately and this gives me new hope!
Star

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »
I did it - posted mine!  Hopefully not too many people will go look at the first page ;)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
This is so inspiring! I still feel like I don't have any "afters" that are worthy of sharing, but this thread is giving me a lot of hope, that progress IS possible and achievable. Thanks, everyone, for sharing.
All "afters" are worthy of sharing. It doesn't matter at what stage you are. Do not be intimidated by those more advanced on the learning curve than you. We're all learning.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't say Before and After.. 'After' seems to imply that it's already at the epitome, it should be Before and Current Progress!

Don't be shy!!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
I love "Before" and "Current Progress" :D I certainly don't think I'm an "After" yet ...

Thanks for starting this thread!  I wouldn't have bothered pulling out my old things without the prompt, and it's really satisfying to see that in spite of my 'oh i'm still a beginner wah wah' face, I really have improved.  Just a nice reminder.

(And it's nice to see that EVERYONE started somewhere ... ;D )

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Gosh, this is really a wonderful thread and as with so many other things on the Forum, it offers such encouragement.  Thanks, Schin--and I agree Before and Current or Then and Now is a good idea.  So here are 2 pics.  One from March when I first started, and rather than practicing letter forms, using guidelines and angles, I just winged it.  The second was a little while ago today, just before seeing this thread.  Cringe if you like--I see some improvement but not all that I'd like to see.  Definitely a work in progress. 
Debbie

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »
Debbie, I only see one picture, and if that's the one from March, then I must say that your winging it produced some remarkable results! If it's from now, then I must say that your practice has produced some remarkable results!
Clara

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
You're way too kind, either way @Ergative.  Alas, this is the most recent.  I'll try again with the earlier one.  As Mike suggested, shield your eyes!!
Debbie

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
This isn't the same pic but I can't see all the smaller than postage stamp sized images.  But this is from March or April. 
Debbie