Author Topic: Mama did not raise a quitter.  (Read 802 times)

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
Mama did not raise a quitter.
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »
Hello all,
I have been beating myself up over the struggle of nothing working right with my copperplate and enjoying my broad-dge that i was going to back burner copperplate. It has been eating at me to want to keep doing it. SO last night felt like giving another try. My first page was a nightmare, nothing worked. Until my last try was with my Michaels brand gouache. I struck pay-dirt. I have found that my 22b nib on cheaper strathmore parchment with Micheals gouache has finally given some results that are good enough for me to continue. The second image is that practice. Thank you all for being so wonderful through this journey and i am so grateful have you along with me.
Thanks for looking,
Noah
P.s one line is wonky do to the slipping of my paperclips. :)
IG: @NONO_1077
"There’s nothing more genuinely artistic than to love people."
-Vincent van Gogh-

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mama did not raise a quitter.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51:15 AM »
Great work Noah,

Glad to see that you are keeping up with it.  The beginning and basic forms in Copperplate can be so frustrating at times.  Actually it's still frustrating for me when I see the works of the Pro's on here ;)

I remember posting a page full of ovals in the Kind Critique section.  The Critique I got was "3rd oval in 4th line look good"  That's it ;D
But then I thought  " Yeah, a pro thinks I have 1 oval right-  getting there for sure" 

So it's good to get you back into copperplate

Happy practise
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »
Thank you prasad,
I always welcome your kind and generous comments. I do have to say it is not so much the learning the strokes that i sm frustrated with, but the equipment issues have been the disheartening issue. Solving some of that issue will hopefully open up to focus on technique.
Again i thank you very much.
Noah
IG: @NONO_1077
"There’s nothing more genuinely artistic than to love people."
-Vincent van Gogh-

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »
I am so glad you have realized that it is not always the individual's skill level, but sometimes the quality or combination of tools/materials that affects how our results look. Your practice is looking A-OK.

I remember how frustrated I was when I was first attempting italic. I was using a double-ended broad-edge marker. I was using the smaller end to write smaller letters to save space. My letters looked terrible with no improvement evident over time. I wanted to give up too. Then I just happened to try the larger end and the results looked noticeably better. It was then that I realized the overall quality of that particular marker was not good. The larger end was adequately sharp, the smaller end was not. Not to mention my initial assumption about space was hindering my skills.

You better believe mama didn't raise no quitter.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:45:40 PM by tiffany.c.a »