Author Topic: Recommendation: Steel ball for mixing inks  (Read 3761 times)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Recommendation: Steel ball for mixing inks
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:03:44 AM »
Hi everyone!

As some of you may know, some nail polishes have tiny metal balls in them to help stir it properly and efficiently. I've tried this with pigmented ink (like PearlEx) where the pigment settles quickly to the bottom of the jar, and it works like a charm. No more prying the layer of pigment off the bottom with a toothpick!
So I thought I'd share this :D you can buy those balls off ebay or amazon easily.

Best,
Natascha
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation: Steel ball for mixing inks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:42 AM »
Natascha,

You're right!  I have some new gold ink that comes with the steel ball in it.  And, I use a magnetic stirrer that keeps inks mixed!  I really love it, as it makes the work go faster, since I don't have to stop & shake so often!

Janis

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Are there stainless steel balls?  I worry about rust.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »
Are there stainless steel balls?  I worry about rust.

What about that ceramic balls that are used for baking? Or a marble?
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
What would the search term be on ebay? I love Dr Martins copperplate gold but that thing needs stirring every 5 minutes...! I would love that magnetic stirrer too but it's so expensive.. :(
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Ball bearings?
Nikki x

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »
Stainless Steel balls would work well. 
But there are a LOT of different stainless steel alloys.  The one I used for my fountain pen ink converters is #302, specifically for corrosion resistance.  But according to the web, #302 is non-magnetic, so won't work with a  magnetic stirrer.
The other problem is minimum order quantity.  I ordered 5/32 inch balls, and had a 300 ball minimum order, and I have a LOT of left over balls.  Minimum order quantity depends on the size of the ball and who you buy it from.  The shipping and handling for only 6 stainless steel balls (from a commercial dealer) would likely be out of proportion to the cost of the balls.

If anyone wants 5/32 inch SS balls, I'm selling them for 6 for $1 + postage.  Cheaper if you want significantly more than 6.

Although for a BOTTLE of ink, I think you would want to use something larger than 5/32 inch, maybe 1/4 inch.

@Alba
If the ceramic balls or marbles have enough mass, they should work.  If the mass is not high enough, it will just get stuck in the thick ink, rather than mixing it.  This is the problem with the plastic balls used in some fountain pen ink converters.
Gary

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »
I think that little glass balls will work also.  Like small marbles.  I got some once at the Saga (from Harvest Crittenden) and I think they are available at craft stores (like Michaels.)
Ev

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
You can use Stainless Steel ball bearings from tattoo supply, example
http://store.unimaxwest.com/ball-bearings-for-ink-bottles-p16.aspx
They put them in ink to mix better. They would normally sterilize them before putting in ink bottle. It not necessary to sterilize for calligraphy ink or gouache, the bearings are stainless steel so wont rust, non magnetic so save for ink, but i would quick clean with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol first just to clean off. Hope this helps and good luck.
Noah
IG: @NONO_1077
"There’s nothing more genuinely artistic than to love people."
-Vincent van Gogh-

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »
You can use Stainless Steel ball bearings from tattoo supply, example
http://store.unimaxwest.com/ball-bearings-for-ink-bottles-p16.aspx
They put them in ink to mix better. They would normally sterilize them before putting in ink bottle. It not necessary to sterilize for calligraphy ink or gouache, the bearings are stainless steel so wont rust, non magnetic so save for ink, but i would quick clean with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol first just to clean off. Hope this helps and good luck.
Noah

Wow!  The ball bearings are $0.25 and the shipping is $14!  Maybe my local tattoo parlor, The Way of Ink (yes, I originally was very excited thinking it was a calligraphy store) can help.

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
Wow!! I didnt even think about shipping costs. That is ridiculous cost to ship. I doubt the tattoo shop wiuld be any help but always work a try. That sounds like somthing i would d, thinking it was a calligraphy store. Haha.
Thanks for reply and checking cost.
Noah
-Vincent van Gogh-

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
If someone is selling SS balls individually for 25 cents, the shipping and handling cost has to make up for the margin of selling only a single/few balls.
That is why dealers have minimum order quantity.

OK, here is what I found on eBay with a quick search for 1/4 inch stainless steel balls, in quantity 10 and 100. 
You will see that the unit cost drops significantly as the quantity goes up from 10 to 100.

#302 SS
10 for $8.88   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-Diameter-Loose-Balls-SS302-Stainless-Steel-G100-Pack-of-10-15991-/360737409623?hash=item53fda00a57:m:mepXdemq1rb-mKCbTv0zGSA
100 for $27.77  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-Diameter-Loose-Balls-SS302-Stainless-Steel-G100-Pack-of-100-15990-/360737409564?hash=item53fda00a1c:m:mCtASm8eywHD_1-wf6Sm1nA

#316 SS
10 for $6.37  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-Diameter-Loose-Balls-SS316-Stainless-Steel-G100-Pack-of-10-16009-/400571711064?hash=item5d43ef3e58:g:TTIAAOxywOtSXdba
100 for $32.37  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-Diameter-Loose-Balls-SS316-Stainless-Steel-G100-Pack-of-100-16020-/400571712083?hash=item5d43ef4253:m:mCtASm8eywHD_1-wf6Sm1nA
Gary

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Perhaps I should stock them in packs of 10?  Let me know if that would interest you. 

On a side note, we are now stocking the nib tin that Noah mentioned in another post.  See below:
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=N203

Thanks, Michael

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
Gary,
Awesome research on these!! Its odd that the 316 are a little less in price than the 302. The 316 is rated to withstand higher temps and higher corrosion resistance due to the molybdenum content in it. Either would work but i would probably go with 316 due to some inks being potenially corrosive. Thanks for researching and posting.

Michael,
I would probably be interested if you did. Id rather shop through a reputable shop like yours than taking the ebay risk.
Also im so excited you have the hiro in stock. I cant wait to get them, my order still showing processing you guys must be swamped from the sale. Also that link goes to a page with tins and not nibs. Thank you again,
Noah
-Vincent van Gogh-

Offline nono1077

• View Profile
    • Noah Scott Design
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
Michael,
I just sent you a message on here regarding those nibs. when you can check it out i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks a million,
Noah
-Vincent van Gogh-