Author Topic: IAMPETH virtual Nov. 2022: Wrap-up  (Read 34 times)

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
IAMPETH virtual Nov. 2022: Wrap-up
« on: November 26, 2022, 03:35:46 PM »
IAMPETH had their second virtual conference. It was a great event. All of the demos were well done and very interesting. Teachers were all on hand for a live Q&A after their taped demo was played. (Each instructor also answered questions during their video via chat.) Each one brought so much experience and insight, and of course practical tips. 

The chat was also extremely instructive and valuable. The whole group of calligraphers - instructors and participants - were giving each other tips and encouragement, and just having fun conversation.

I attended all the demos, even though I wasnít sure Iíd take to all the styles. I figured I could learn something from watching each calligrapher work and listening to their process. I ended up finding much of value from each demo, and definitely the instructor Q&A.

Now, post-conference, I have committed to trying each demo content. My goal was to watch all the demos over again and actually TRY each one. We have access to them till Dec. 11. Iíll see if I can make that goal by then.

As I work through each demo, Iíd like to post some of my practice here. Maybe it will help motivate me, and perhaps pique someoneís interest in a calligrapher or style they didnít know before. (Iíll probably say a little about each class also. These are just my personal and independent viewpoints.)

Did anybody else attend? Would anyone else like to post their practice? Feel free.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:02:10 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: IAMPETH virtual Nov. 2022: Wrap-up
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 04:00:26 PM »
Lush Lettering - demo by Kamaljeet Kaur

The style Kamaljeet demonstrated was definitely lush. Her examples were gorgeous. In the demo she showed how to make different patterns, many from nature, to fill in hand-drawn open letters.

I had a piece of Strathmore black paper that I had used as scrap to test a couple gel pens, and saved to use later. Also ignore the holes in the corner - I had needed a few black dots for something and took a hole punch to it. There was plenty of open space left. Perfect for this practice page. I used a Nikko G and straight holder throughout.

As she suggested in the demo, I first went through drawing some of the elements in pencil and then outlining and filling in the elements with metallic gouache. (Colors used were Turner gouache and since I wanted a greenish metallic, I tried mixing W&N gold metallic and olive. Sometimes a bit too green, but good enough.)

Then on the other side of the paper I drew the letter T to fill in using the style she taught. I threw the flower and vine on the page just for extra practice. Well, that led to me later wanting to tie all those elements in as one composition, even though that was not my original intention. So, the page eventually became very full as I tried to tie it all together.

These are practice pages, but I like the result. Most importantly I learned a lot, and I even started coming up with some of my own motifs. I plan to do more of this at least for journal fun in the future. I think this practice will also translate to doing illuminated letters and borders, giving me more variety.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:14:59 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: IAMPETH virtual Nov. 2022: Wrap-up
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 08:13:16 AM »
Thank you so much @tiffany.c.a  What a great recap! I signed up but wasnít able to attend live as we have been in FL and Thanksgiving prep, etc. But I am looking forward to watching this week.

This work is absolutely lovely! Wow! I love it!

Great share!  :-*
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook